What does "protected battery" mean?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does "protected battery" mean?

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Default What does "protected battery" mean?

hi folks, what does it mean when a battery is "protected?"

what are the pros and cons of protected vs unprotected?

I read the sticky thread about "use unprotected batteries at your own risk" and started worrying. How do you tell if your batt is protected or not?

thank you

Banned

The batterys say "protected" when you buy them, compnies specify.

I also think that colors may matter??? =/

Unprotected batteries are a bit cheaper but, rarely, they can literally explode

colors matter how?

explode?!?! holy cra....... ok no unprotected anything for me, batteries or otherwise!

Banned

yah unprotected is just an all around bad idea

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Colors matter to some extent, but only within the line/brand of batteries. My original 18350's are unprotected, and thay are yellow/orange; my new ones are protected and they are royal blue.

But I'm reasonably certain I saw both unprotected and protected versions of one brand of 18650's that were both red, but they had different patterns of black and white stripes.

If you look at the negative side of a protected battery, you MIGHT be able to see the outline of a little printed circuit card under that bottom 'cover'

the shop lady was trying to explain to me what protected and unprotected means to me yesterday and she was explaining in chinese, which kinda went way over my head. If she had merely said "unprotected could explode" i'd have been most happy to leave it at that.

Super Member ECF Veteran prof beard's Avatar

Most protected batteries are only protected against under/over charge, some are also protected against short-circuit. Used PROPERLY in an e-cig and charge in a PROPER charger (which has protection built in), problems with unprotected batteries should be VERY rare indeed - many reported problems (I'm not saying all) are caused by "misuse/mischarging".
    I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels, but I would slave to learn the way
    to sink your ship of fools

thanks. Still, I think i'll stick to protected batts from now onwards. it's barely a few bucks more expensive here.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieB360 View Post
    Colors matter to some extent, but only within the line/brand of batteries. My original 18350's are unprotected, and thay are yellow/orange; my new ones are protected and they are royal blue.

But I'm reasonably certain I saw both unprotected and protected versions of one brand of 18650's that were both red, but they had different patterns of black and white stripes.

If you look at the negative side of a protected battery, you MIGHT be able to see the outline of a little printed circuit card under that bottom 'cover'
    Can I buy these batteries anywhere? Like Radio Shack or Best Buy?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Houdini's Avatar

Here's what the protection circuit looks like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast