Seized by customs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seized by customs

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Seized by customs

I had 2 orders from China with ems, does this mean I have now lost them?

Your item was delivered(KINGDOM OF THAILAND TH10020) at 2012-11-20 11:59:00
    Signed for by:SEIZED BY CUSTOMS
    Not happy but guess there's nothing I can do?

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Maka View Post
    I had 2 orders from China with ems, does this mean I have now lost them?

Not happy but guess there's nothing I can do?
    What did they contain? What vendor did they come from so other people can avoid them? They probably marked something about ecigs or ejuice on the customs paperwork, instead of putting something harmless on them. Customs should send you a letter. If they are products not allowed in the Kingdom they will probably be returned or destroyed (not sure). There is Thai customs tracking at the URL below. Maybe it will give you more information. Use the EMS tracking number.

https://e-tracking.customs.go.th/ETS...gParcelServlet

ECF Veteran

If it was juice you should buy it from Europe and make sure each shipment is under 2Kg. They still use Small Packet Air service which does not require a customs form for packages under 2Kgs. The U.S. stopped using that service and makes people use First Class International which requires a customs declaration. From Thailand packages under 2Kg are also sent by small packet air service and no customs declaration is required or used. You need to get your juice by small packet air with no customs form. Those types of packages are barely looked at due to the huge volume of incoming mail and almost always get right through.

ECF Veteran

Yes, this was really a mistake on my side, I have had many smaller packages arrive no problems.
    I decided I wanted to place 2 big orders, juice, bats, big mod kits and so on.
    Looks like I made a mistake.

My main problem is though will my address and name be marked for even future small orders?
    Should I use a different address and name from now on?

ECF Veteran

Yes, this was really a mistake on my side, I have had many smaller packages arrive no problems.
    I decided I wanted to place 2 big orders, juice, bats, big mod kits and so on.
    Looks like I made a mistake.

My main problem is though will my address and name be marked for even future small orders?
    Should I use a different address and name from now on?
    I don't think you need to worry. The smaller packages are barely glanced at and usually scan out of Laksi within hours of the acceptance scan. Even EMS would not be viable with a list of names to look for. I think you are okay. If you are paranoid you can use another name and address but I don't really think that is necessary. Just curious did the package show an acceptance scan and then the customs scan? How long was the time between the acceptance scan at the EMS center in Laksi and the customs seizure scan?

My guess is that the Post Office will deliver you a notice from customs tomorrow or the next day advising you of the seizure with information on how to get it released in a certain amount of time. If you don't respond then it should be returned to the sender after the response period has passed. Since ejuice is technically illegal in Thailand I don't think getting it released from customs is going to be a viable option. Since it should eventually get back to the sender you should request a refund. PayPal requires that shipments are recorded as delivered to the recipient so if the vendor starts acting like an ..... you could also file a PayPal complaint for non delivery and most likely get your money back.

I have had items that customs decided I owed duties on. They hold those at your delivery post office in a customs impound area and you are sent a notice with how much money to pay. You go to the post office, pay the amount on the notice (30% of value decided by customs plus 7% vat) and a postal collection fee of 20 baht and you get the package right away.

Also, keep in mind that anything with a large declared value (over 1,000 baht equivalent) is subject to 30% duty based on estimated value plus 7% vat. Anything that comes in EMS, DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc. with a large declared value is going to be inspected by customs to assess the fee. You should never buy ecig products with any declared value over 1,000 baht in order to avoid a customs inspection. If a customs form is required ejuice can be listed as "food flavoring" and other items can simply be listed as "electronics." Always get the seller to put a generic description and low value if customs paperwork is required.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you can get your money back.
    Last edited by jackbox; 11-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.

ECF Veteran

Thanks for the reply mate.
    So, where does it say that e juice is ilegal? also the actual batteries and mods?
    These aren't the 'e cigarette' looking things, they are vaping devices
    I have searched on the net and can't find where this is not legal.

So you think they will send it back to China?
    I haven't asked the vendor but I feel they won't give a refund, I wonder if I filed a PayPal dispute that would work?

ECF Veteran

So you do think I will hear from someone about these 2 parcels?
    But they won't let me 'pay' a little money to get them?
    Should I start hiding my stuff I already have in my office in case they come knocking at the door or is that just silly?

ECF Veteran

Thanks for the reply mate.
    So, where does it say that e juice is ilegal? also the actual batteries and mods?
    These aren't the 'e cigarette' looking things, they are vaping devices
    I have searched on the net and can't find where this is not legal.

So you think they will send it back to China?
    I haven't asked the vendor but I feel they won't give a refund, I wonder if I filed a PayPal dispute that would work?
    If you file a PayPal dispute and escalate it to a claim for non delivery, you should win. You did not receive the items and PayPal requires proof of delivery to the customer. Thailand passed a law (prob over 5 years ago) making nicotine juice and ecigs illegal in the Kingdom. Technically the vaping devices are simply electronics and up to customs whether they want to seize it or not. Batteries are legal but when a shipment is seized for containing an illegal item everything is seized, not just the illegal items. Eventually, it should be returned to the vendor. The only type of things that are destroyed are very illegal products like illegal drugs, etc.

Also, right now there is an international ban on shipping Li-Ion batteries by International Mail by order of the International Postal Union. Many vendors ignore this but that does not negate the fact that such shipments are currently not allowed. There have been hundreds of reported cases of Li-Ion batteries venting and exploding during transport due to improper packaging and handling. In the U.S. last year alone the FAA has 132 cases on file of Li-Ion battery incidents on airplanes. Until the IPU promulgates rules about safe transport of Li-Ion batteries the only way to legally mail them is if they are installed in a device such as a computer, smartphone, etc.
    Last edited by jackbox; 11-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.

ECF Veteran

Also, it would be helpful if you could post the Thai Post tracking of the items in question to see how the timeline went. I am interested to see how long it took between acceptance and seizure on the Thai Post tracking.

ECF Veteran

Thanks again.

Anywhere I can read about this being ilegal on the web?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast