1.5 ohm stronger than 1.0 ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
The devil is in the details. Which we don't really know. But that won't stop me from speculating! :D

My guess is the two coils use different wire gauges. A thin 1.5 ohm coil can heat up more rapidly and produce a more focused heat than a thick 1 ohm coil. Or vise versa. It's not all about the resistance. It's just as much about the other physical properties of the coil. Mainly wire thickness/gauge.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Besides a possible wire gauge difference, the 1.5 ohm coil isn't wicking fast enough to keep the coil cool.

Even a 5 ohm coil can get to hot if it doesn't have both air & liquid to keep it cool.
    It works just like your car engine. Combustion heats the engine, and the cooling system keeps the engine running at the proper temperature.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baditude

93gc40

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Hi

I have 1.0 and 1.5 ohm coils

I actually have one 1.5 which is the one that came with the tank

Somehow the 1.5 has a better buzz and throat hit than the 1.0... I thought the lower the stronger? What's going on?

Thanks in advance

because lower ohm number doesn't mean higher heat or more surface area...... It just means the coil will draw more wattage. examples of .5ohm dual coil drawing 30 watts (mech), 30awg heat flux @534. 29awg 337, 28awg 266, 27awg 188, 26 133.

Nocturne31

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2014
    U.K.
    Eh. You could make a 1 ohm coilwith too big wire and too many wraps and it would take forever to ramp up at those volts so you really wouldn't be getting a good hit.

It's all about the balance. Lower ohm doesn't necessarily mean harder hitting. A lot more involved than just resistance.

I thought the lower the resistance the less voltage you need?

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    So I got a pack of 1.5's today and tried one to make sure that it's the coils and not the ohm. Something is still different... Different from the 1.5 coil that came with the Evod 2 which is perfect. Idk what it is I got it from MBV so they're authentic

A 1.5 ohm dual coil is going to be different from a 1.5 ohm single coil.

Type of wire and thickness of wire are also important; the thickness (wire gauge) is probably the most important thing.

Nocturne31

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2014
    U.K.
    A 1.5 ohm dual coil is going to be different from a 1.5 ohm single coil.

Type of wire and thickness of wire are also important; the thickness (wire gauge) is probably the most important thing.

Sure... But what I'm sayin is that coils from the same company should be equal in strength if they're the same resistance

silenuz

Feb 24, 2015
    Covington, GA, USA
    I thought the lower the resistance the less voltage you need?

Well to take it to the extreme for example, you could get 1 ohm from 24g kanthal at 14 wraps with 2mm ID and at 3.8 volts you'd take a while to ramp up and get any kind of decent vapor/hit.
    Or 30g kanthal at 4 wraps on 2mm and 3.8 volts would turn that coil white almost instantaneously.

Both are rather impractical builds, just saying ohms is just one small part of the equation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread