RDA 2 coil checking questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
To be honest, it just doesn't matter if you're using it on a regulated device. You're already protected. Build too low, build too high, hell even a dead short and your device just won't fire. You're perfectly fine using you're device to check the readings if its regulated. If you plan on using a build on a mech, then yeah a good ohm reader is the way to go.

As far as contact vs. non contact, with kanthal it just doesn't much matter either. Once the coils have been pulsed a few times the final resistances settle out to be the same. With nickel if you're doing TC builds, I just haven't bothered with contact coils, I've found it to be too much of a hassle.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
I do not believe steam engine takes into account coil contact but I could be wrong. I believe it is just a simple calculator based on the inherent resistance of a given gauge of wire, and measures impedance based on length (which varies depending on how many wraps and your inner diameter.)

As a practical measure using your mod to check resistance should be fine. Remember a VW mod is going to operate based on what it meters your coil to be, not necessarily what the coil actually is. Provided it is reasonably close to actual resistance you should be fine.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
If you enter the spec for a spaced coil it will calculate for a spaced coil.. I think you have to click the advanced button to get the spacing box.

YES you can use the meter in your mod. NO, you should not trust the meter in the mod, as correct. It may be. Unless you have first tested the meter in the mod. Say your mod has an issue........... Are you going to trust the meter in the mod, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread