3 Weeks In - Now Heartburn & Nausea

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmb

Nov 21, 2009
MA
Hi all,

I started vaping 3 weeks ago and haven't had an analog since day 2 - which is GREAT! The problem is that over the past few days I have had a lot of trouble with heartburn and nausea. I was formerly a Newport Light 100 smoker and am now smoking the Totally Wicked Menthol - 24mg cut in half with Humco Glycerin. Today I am trying the same 50/50 mixture with PG instead but am not feeling better.

Anyone else have weird stomach symptoms a few weeks in? Felt great before now.

D133

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I have had stomach symptoms through vaping - I can alleviate them by taking sips of water as I vape. It can be particularly bad if I get e-liquid in my mouth so I make sure to drink water and dilute any if that happens.

In my case it seems to be due to too much nicotine, you may want to try vaping less often and/or cutting down the nic level yet further, drinking more water or trying out different liquids to see if they agree with you better. I know the mint choc chip had that effect on me, even though initially it was fine.

Edit>> I should have added my solution was to try other liquids, VG-based especially which seem to give me less side-effects.

Last edited:

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I did... too high of nicotine (I used the dumb High cartridges that came with my fist e-cig) I eventually settled into 16mg and used 24 when I was craving a cigarette.

I also had stomach issues if I swallowed liquid when I would drag too hard or over fill the cartridges and the liquid would travel up the mouthpiece. Now if that happens, I carry tissues and spit it into them. Yucky but better than having stomach issues.

kmb

Nov 21, 2009
MA
I will try reducing the nicotine some, although I haven't increased since I started. I haven't noticed any juice coming into my mouth but will pay attention to that as well. The glycerin is USP, made by Humco. I was worried about that since it isn't VG and this bottle is new. I am going to try food grade VG and the UK made Decadent Vapors juice - just waiting for Wicked's birthday sale this week!

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I had all sorts of similar problems in the beginning. I thought it was too much nic, but it turned out it was PG. I switched to VG-only juices, and the problems went away entirely, right away, so I am fairly sure it wasn't a getting-used-to-vaping thing. The PG was also making so that my lungs ached at the end of the day, similar to smoking analogs, and my mouth would feel raw...so I assumed it was irritating the inner walls of my gut as well...sure felt that way. Gave me the runs as well. 8-o

With vg-juices, you have to consider the extra thickness. I add some drops of vodka to thin it a little and add some throat hit which is often missing with vg.

I do not recommend antacids. Too much stomach acid is not likely to be the issue, so antacids would probably not help anyway. OTOH, if trying VG does not stop the problem, and I suspect it will, then try cutting back on nic and/or vaping entirely for a day or two, and see if it clears up. I may catch hell for advocating not vaping, but you don't want continual stomach discomfort due to the body not tolerating this technology, which is possible.

Good luck, and let us know what you find! Your concerns are not uncommon with beginning vapers. I'm not a doctor, so others are certainly free to debate/discuss this advice, which is my opinion only.

Pyrolord

Nov 27, 2009
Ohio
I would have said that sounds like way to much nicotine till I saw Kurts post. Maybe some people have an allergy to it. I know when I used to dip (skoal... gross) I would get the same feeling. Or when I tried to quit using the gum and would smoke a cig with it in my mouth. That was fail btw, stupid gum wasting my money...

I'm gonna conclude that either you are getting way to much nicotine or you might have some weird allergy to it.

Misty

Forum Admin Supplier & Commercial Manager
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2008
Canada
Nicotine as well as PG can lead to a state of mild acidosis (acidity - low ph)which could explain the heartburn.

I've been drinking a glass or 2 of carbonized mineral water like SanPelligrino which is very alkaline (highest ph) to buffer the effects of the nic and PG..with pretty good success!

Menthol was also aggravating for me! I use it rarely now..

Last edited:

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I've had a little heartburn since I started vaping, but not too bad - I suspect it's either that I'm swallowing some vapor or getting too much nicotine from time to time. If you have regular heartburn, I'd suggest trying some probiotics (I get mine from swansonvitamins.com) - I had the worst stomach on the planet, and my Tums consumption has gone down by about 95% since I started taking them several years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread