$4.99 Bottom Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinmj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
Well, ok it's a dripper that I modified to bottom feed. I spent some time shopping fasttech and found some little drippers to tinker with so I got some tinkermail yesterday... drilled the vertical positive post and feed hole with a drill press... took all of about 10 minutes, pretty neat. Hits as good as my $65 cyclone.

$4.99 Phoenix V4 Detachable Dripping Atomizer (1.2ml) - 1.0

The cap that came with it was stainless/silver finish, but it's pictured with the cap from this little sm20.

$5.03 SM20 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer for Empire KeCig K100 - green / 2.4

IMAG0402.jpg

The angle makes the coil look closer to the base than it actually is... !
IMAG0406.jpg

Gonna do the same to this guy, but hasn't shown up yet...

$5.93 YK1 KTS Stainless Steel Electronic Cigarette Atomizer at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Last edited:

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
They do work great and you are right, it hits just as good as my Cyclone. I've converted 4 of these. The problem I've had is that after some time the negative posts get loose (I think just from tightening the screw on top) and even had two fall out. They seem to be press fit with a dab of solder or something to hold them in the deck. Keep an eye on the negative post. Build quality is where the Cyclone is superior.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
I just converted one of these https://www.fasttech.com/products/1346104 for bottom feeding and it's working even better than my yk1

t first I was in love with the YK1 but it's true, the negative posts tend to get loose and spin around way too much

The build I just made on that phoenix (5 vertical wraps of kanthal 27 on a 1/16 drop bit), vertical cotton. is hitting even better than my RM2 at the moment (ok guys, you can trash me for saying that)

dustinmj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
They do work great and you are right, it hits just as good as my Cyclone. I've converted 4 of these. The problem I've had is that after some time the negative posts get loose (I think just from tightening the screw on top) and even had two fall out. They seem to be press fit with a dab of solder or something to hold them in the deck. Keep an eye on the negative post. Build quality is where the Cyclone is superior.

Thanks for the tip on the negative post, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. Gives me an excuse to track down some lead free vape-safe solder. Anybody got one they recommend?

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
HMMMM people would get all up in arms if someone posted here about a Reo clone is it ok to post a clone of anthers hard work ? and lead do you think the chinese manufacturer is worried about lead solder ? I will stick with my Era's thanks :D and of course my RM2's
Chinese clones are a fact of life in every field. I find it amusing when someone on the jeep forums complains that their $300 clone Chinese made bumper is rusty and dented after a month. I then post, funny my $800 dollar US made bumper, that they copied, is 3 years old and has been bouncing off granite boulders a couple of times a month and it is still good as new.

I was wondering if the purchasers match the work ethic. To some people there's only one way to do a job, the right way and others stop when it's just good enough.

So do just good enoughs tend to by clones, while the right wayors buy quality?

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Thanks for the tip on the negative post, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. Gives me an excuse to track down some lead free vape-safe solder. Anybody got one they recommend?

Good idea! If you can shore up that neg post, the atty should last indefinitely. I just used old bubble gum on mine.:D

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Chinese clones are a fact of life in every field. I find it amusing when someone on the jeep forums complains that their $300 clone Chinese made bumper is rusty and dented after a month. I then post, funny my $800 dollar US made bumper, that they copied, is 3 years old and has been bouncing off granite boulders a couple of times a month and it is still good as new.

I was wondering if the purchasers match the work ethic. To some people there's only one way to do a job, the right way and others stop when it's just good enough.

I guess I just like to buy quality first off. I don't per say have lots of disposable income but do believe in buying one good one versus several cheapos and its also in my heart to support the hard working individuals who have done the work to make a good product :)

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i have 14 RM2s, and they are too good to use for any old 'let's try that' coil; so i use a modified dripper clone for that, because i will not cry too much if i ruin $13 of clone v $43 of RM2, or if it wears out after 3 months.

When i have coil builds i like - i transfer them to an RM2 and on to my Reos.

Clones are a fact of life and as long as you are not trying to resell them as high end, precision machined atties then they have their place for absorbing abuse and modding! I agree with your general thrust about paying designers for their work, but i am sure you are aware the RM2 is itself a modified Chinese atomiser.

T

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville

yep, no substitute for quality. I have to admit, I did enjoy playing with these cheapies and the vape can rival the better ones.

HMMMM people would get all up in arms if someone posted here about a Reo clone is it ok to post a clone of anthers hard work ? and lead do you think the chinese manufacturer is worried about lead solder ? I will stick with my Era's thanks :D and of course my RM2's

Yes, clones do present a moral/ethical dilemma.

BTW, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the RM2 while not a clone of anything is a modified chinese import. No? (albeit a very nice quality modification)

Also worth noting that you should make sure it's not lead solder on there originally...
Good point! But how can you tell? It's a verrrrrry tiny dab. I suppose you could remove the original altogether and re-apply.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
There are cheap ERA clones too Justice, but i recall Rob posting something like you did about not wanting to just mod that and resell them because of their innovation in the first place.

So he modded a Chinese dripper - take that!! Damn cloners! China 359 USA 1.

My own preference for clone to beat the hell out of is an Igo-S. It's not even in the same league as an RM2, but it's an easy to mod / hack and interesting to try new builds on.

I liked the look of Hornets too, but those prices (and Killers) made me wince. "Oh by the way baby - i just spent $80 on an atomiser" - shudders.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread