Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey_cope

Apr 23, 2014
Indiana
So, I have sparked an interest Box-Mods. I've been reading and studying as much as I can on here and on other sites/forums. all of the rts I need were ordered late last week and should arrive today and/or tomorrow. My only problem.....

Ijust watched a review on a youtube page (Grimmgreen) last night, and he mentioned that the firing switch on the particular mod he was reviewing only had a five amp limit, so it could'nt fire a sub-ohm build. That was when it occured to me that all of the switches I ordered (I ordered a few differant styles), were all rated at either 3 or 5 amps. I ordered those from an online Vape store, so I just assumed that their products were ideal for vape gear. I don't have any intentions on being restricted to 5 amps if it isn't going to let me fire sub-ohm. I'm not about that life. I plan on my first Box-mod being a Mechanical mod and I doubt that can be accomplished if the switch is limited. If I wanted it to be regulated, I would put a chip in it. Does anyone know if I will be able to fire at, lets say .35 ohms? If I can't, please advise me where to acquire the switch I would need. thanks guys!!

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
You can get higher auto reset toggle switches and push buttons you just have to look around til you find them. Im building my first mechanical mod as well right now and using a 30 amp push button for a starter switch like alot of semi trucks use. It basically just a black button with a chrome bezel on it about 13 mm in diameter taking a guess.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
3A is sufficient for most box mods and mechs unless you fall below 1.2 ohms. The .35 ohm coil at 4 volts will pull 11.4 amps. Good luck finding a small switch for that application in a size that will fit in box mod and have any useful service life.

C&K Components 3A Black Push Button switch

Last edited:

Joey_cope

Apr 23, 2014
Indiana
3A is sufficient for most box mods and mechs unless you fall below 1.2 ohms. The .35 ohm coil at 4 volts will pull 11.4 amps. Good luck finding a small switch for that application in a size that will fit in box mod and have any useful service life.

C&K Components 3A Black Push Button switch

There has to be switches out there, that are small enough to fit and have high enough amperage to fire sub-ohm. I have seen way too many Box-Mods that can fire Sub-ohm. I'll make my own if I have to, I just don't want to spend that much time on it. I just want to put it together and vape on it!! Thanks for the info though!

Joey_cope

Apr 23, 2014
Indiana
You can get higher auto reset toggle switches and push buttons you just have to look around til you find them. Im building my first mechanical mod as well right now and using a 30 amp push button for a starter switch like alot of semi trucks use. It basically just a black button with a chrome bezel on it about 13 mm in diameter taking a guess.

Thank you for the advise. Where exactly did you gain ownerhip of this switch you speak of?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Small and high amp are mutually exclusive in a push button switch. Marine dealers may be your best bet. Dash mounted switches are all over boats, but they are generally deep throat switches. In a box mod they would work, but not necessarily in a tube mech.

5 amp (comes in several colors)
Amazon.com: Red Square Top 6 Pin Momentary Push Button Switch 5A: Industrial & Scientific

15A 12V 1/2" mounting hole
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/sierra-red-push-button-switch.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=bing

15A This one looks good for a box mod.
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-...ations&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=baynote

Last edited:

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
Thank you for the advise. Where exactly did you gain ownerhip of this switch you speak of?

A local auto parts store lol. I admit it may be a little big for what your looking for. But the only time I do any sub ohms and use my mechanical is when Im having one of those really stressful days. I basically just put it together on one of those days and thought well a quick mechanical mod to fire a dripper would be better than a cigarette lol. I had a few odd and end parts laying around. Im a diesel mechanic by trade.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
look for magnetic momentary switches. They're totally mechanical, so sub ohm is not a problem. They're often a bit big though. A magnetic switch uses magnetic repulsion instead of a spring. press it down and you get a connection. there's only the one moving part (the button) so they last a long time too.

Joey_cope

Apr 23, 2014
Indiana
I was just at Madvapes ordering some juices and saw a 5A low profile horn type switch for 89 cents.

Horn Style Switch, Black

Upon reading the reviews, it appears that those who bought this switch are very happy and would buy it again.

That was actually the first place I looked for one. I have been to over 20 differant sites looking for the right switch. It's not like they are nonexistant, there are countless Mods out there that can fire subohm. Where the hell do they get theirs from? lol it just doesn't make much sense that the Hana can fire subohm with a itty bity switch but if I wanna build a sub-ohm box mod, I have to use a shoebox so I have enough room for a switch (exageration).

Thank you all for the advise. I'll keep looking and I'll check the links provided. I'll most likely go with the ignition switches or the Mosfet.

Dave, thank you in particular. You seem to be pretty knowledgable. I appreciate the advise.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Joey_Cope wrote: That was actually the first place I looked for one. I have been to over 20 differant sites looking for the right switch. It's not like they are nonexistant, there are countless Mods out there that can fire subohm. Where the hell do they get theirs from? lol it just doesn't make much sense that the Hana can fire subohm with a itty bity switch but if I wanna build a sub-ohm box mod, I have to use a shoebox so I have enough room for a switch (exageration).

Thank you all for the advise. I'll keep looking and I'll check the links provided. I'll most likely go with the ignition switches or the Mosfet.

Dave, thank you in particular. You seem to be pretty knowledgable. I appreciate the advise.

This one looks like the best option I've seen yet. 20A switch with long wires for box mod connections. Plus, you get two of them for the $8.33 price. Instant backup and no future search if the first one fails down the road!

Amazon.com: 12V 20Amp Black Round Head SPST Momentary Car Push Button Switch 2 Pcs: Industrial & Scientific

61scYt%2BJdyL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thats perfect! thanks Dave

what does "double post" mean?

Sometimes the board screws up and the same post shows up twice. When that happens, we just delete the contents of one and enter Double Post because you have to have 10 characters before it will let you save.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That was actually the first place I looked for one. I have been to over 20 differant sites looking for the right switch. It's not like they are nonexistant, there are countless Mods out there that can fire subohm. Where the hell do they get theirs from? lol it just doesn't make much sense that the Hana can fire subohm with a itty bity switch but if I wanna build a sub-ohm box mod, I have to use a shoebox so I have enough room for a switch (exageration). Thank you all for the advise. I'll keep looking and I'll check the links provided. I'll most likely go with the ignition switches or the Mosfet. Dave, thank you in particular. You seem to be pretty knowledgable. I appreciate the advise.
firing sub ohm isn't hard. All you need is a true mechanical connection. What you DON'T want is an electronic switch. Personally in your situyation i'd hit the lkocal home store or a radio shack. Brick and mortar stores allow returns. You can try themn to make sure they work.

Joey_cope

Apr 23, 2014
Indiana
firing sub ohm isn't hard. All you need is a true mechanical connection. What you DON'T want is an electronic switch. Personally in your situyation i'd hit the lkocal home store or a radio shack. Brick and mortar stores allow returns. You can try themn to make sure they work.

Here, they wont accept anything as a return if it has had power run through it. I dont really know how thery would know the differance. But, I guess thata where integrity come into play :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread