5 days no cigs just vaping but developed a slight cough. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Sounds to me your body is trying to clear years worth of accumulated tar and gunk from your lungs, that's not uncommon.

There could conceivably be irritation from sub ohming, how low are your ohms and how high is your nic level?

Another consideration would be a flavoring that might not be sitting well with you and causing irritation.

My guess would be the first but it wouldn't be a bad idea to see the Doc to be sure.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a new, non smoking, chapter of your life!

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Hey Johnny, congrats on quitting. I went through the same thing when I quit.

Just a thought, you may want to work into a little slower. .5 at 30 watts may have been a bit much in the transition. Vape at a little higher ohm and less wattage for a while and then work your way down.

Good luck!

Makaela

Oct 1, 2015
Texas
So finally made the plunge to quit smoking. Started vaping with a e pen which is ok. I tried sub ohming with a subox mini which is great. But now I have this irritating cough. Any thoughts? I'm totally new to vaping and its my first time trying to quit after 15 yrs of smoking.
Congrats on quitting man. If it is a dry cough that las for more than 5 days. With nothing whatsoever coming up. More than likely bronchitis. I get it every time i quit smoking. But if you are vaping high vg ALOT of people are sensitive (myself) and that can also cause a dry cough. Bronchitis will go all the way down your bronchial tubes and you can feel it. And since you are new that could also be the problem i had to start at .1 and am now comfortable at .35 it burns very hot which also means if you aren't used to vaping you could be irritating your throat. Make sure you aren't inhaling as you would a ciggarete. Pull all the vapor into your mouth and a quick inhale and exhale slowly kinda like a cigar :)

Reactions: B2L

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
I did this for the first 2 weeks or so (2 pack a day smoker for 18yrs) after that my lungs started to clear up my cough went away and I went from barley being able to work to being able to run my dogs around the block repeatedly after only 9 months of solid vaping only (I started with the cheap egos to cut my smoking down before I started fully vaping witch is when my cough started really)

Just wait till that cough clears up you'll feel better than you have in A long time!

And congrats on giving up the death sticks! Keep it up it will only get better!

Reactions: Johnny_B

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
I guess I'm glad I started vaping when I did. The thought of starting out vaping now a days with a 40 watt mod and a sub ohm tank would probably have driven me away from vaping. I don't sub ohm now and have never had the urge to try it. The thought of cranking out huge clouds just has never appealed. I didn't cloud chase as a smoker so.......
Not at all surprised that throat irritation and coughing would occur.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
"Cough reflex sensitivity is significantly diminished in young, healthy, male current-smokers compared to a similar population of nonsmokers. The mechanism of cough suppression in smokers remains speculative but may involve long-term tobacco smoke-induced desensitization of the cough receptors within the airway epithelium."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/450759

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
So finally made the plunge to quit smoking. Started vaping with a e pen which is ok. I tried sub ohming with a subox mini which is great. But now I have this irritating cough. Any thoughts? I'm totally new to vaping and its my first time trying to quit after 15 yrs of smoking.

it's going to take AT LEAST 90 days to clear your lungs. So your body is doing what it does to clear the lungs -- it coughs.

Andria

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread