510 vs. 4081 vs. 401 Battery Hit counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
OK here is a test I did for my own curiosity while trying to figure out if the 510 will work for me or not. I have been frustrated with the battery capacity, but enjoying some other aspects like the manual control and the cart so I wanted to see if it was worth investing in something like the PCC or just shelf the 510 and stick with what has been working for me.

I compared a new 510 (3 days old and less than 10 charges) with a couple of other batteries I have already been using. I used the newest I had on hand which was about 2 weeks old for the 401 and 2 months old for the 4081 and just did a head to head puff count for each. I actually did the 510 twice (once with a 3-4 hour charge and once with an overnight charge). I followed the first charge instructions for each battery (12 hours for the 4081, 8 hours for the 401, and 8 on 20 used and 1 hour for the 510). Each battery was fresh off the charger and I used the liquid method I like best for each, topping off for the 510, dripping for the 4081 and dipping for the 401. I limited my puffs to 3-5 sec. and if I did a double (hit inhale hit again) I counted that as 2 puffs even though this is pretty typical for my vaping style.. This felt kind of 'wimpy' and not what the 510 was designed for but I wanted to make everything equal, although, I did hit the 401 a little harder. THis probably isn't fair to the 401 but I also think it made the 401 catch up on the throat hit. To this end I also counted how many times I hit the cut off although this only happened on the 4081. Obviously there is no cut on the 510 and the newest 401 batteries I have just never cut off ever (its nice and if you want to know where I got them let me know). I also tried to make note of any drops in vapor (this is kind of subjective but I will report it.) Anyway enough rambling here are the results with at least one interesting surprise IMO.

510:
Like I mentioned I did this one twice and I got 70 (+3 little whisps at the end) on the shorter charge and 80 (+1 whisp) on the longer. In both cases there was a drop from big billowing clouds often seen on videos to something a little closer to normal at about 25 puffs (22 and 27) and another drop at around 50 until the end. Even after the 2nd drop vapor was pretty good.

4081:
This one surprised me because these are my oldest batteries and they are kind of sticky from the dripping. In fact, I hit the cut off on my own 18 times but there was probably another dozen or so where the battery stuck and cut itself off or got a table banging. Anyway, I got 167 puffs (+ 7 little whisps). It seems to me I could have gotten a few more little whisps but I let it go. I think both the 510 and the 401 have a chip aided cut off to save the battery and honestly who cares about whisps of vapor. There was a drop off of vapor at 110 hits and another at 130. All and all pretty surprising results from this thing considering I use it as my back up due to battery life (I am thinking about changing that assessment and restocking my supplies).

401:
Like I mentioned I hit this one a little harder. The baby puffs didn't get me the throat hit and since this is my regular vaper I fell into my regular style alot. With the 401,I got 192 (+ 2 little whisps after the blinks). There was an initial drop off at about 35 and again at 130 although I found this battery to be pretty consistent until right at the end although it never had the highs of either the 510 or the 4081.

In summary, I am really disappointed in the 510 even when I treated it nice and dainty. I am really surprised at the 4081 which actually capacity wise was a work horse even though I had to bang it against the table a few times and 'jump' start it once or twice. I am getting another 510 ( and a new 401) battery sometime in the next week with a juice order so I will put that one through the test and if people are interested I will report it. I have also thought about testing my other 401 batteries (including the DSE401) and if I feel motivated the 801 although counting through 192 tested my ability to focus and remember so the 801 scares me. I would also be interested in seeing other peoples results since too often what we get are estimates of time which vary too much or the overestimates on some web sites. Finally for techies I believe what I have seen reported for the 510 is 180 mah and 200 mah for the 401. I am not sure about the 4081. Anyway that was my experience. IF people are interested I might get into the other batteries I have and I will update with the fresh 401 vs. the new 510 when possible (be quick customs be quick).

CellWho

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I couldn't agree with you more. I'll also add that the 510 vapor is thicker, warmer, and hits harder in all the right places :) I find it much more satisfying than the 401.

If you have a 510, I think the PCC is a must. With the PCC, you get a fresh fully charged batt every time you use it.

It's common knowledge that 510 batteries don't last as long as others.

But it's also common knowledge that a Mustang isn't going to get the same gas mileage as a Corolla. But which car is more fun to drive? Get my point? :)

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The reason I did this was for my own knowledge and part of that was to see if a PCC would be worth it. If the PCC is good for 4 full charges that still doesn't give you enough battery power for a night. I am really hoping that the 510 battery I have on the way can perform better otherwise even with the PCC thats not enough juice. Also they say the PCC is good for 4 charges but the thing I really get out of this is don't trust what they say for any battery. 192 puffs for the 401 doesn't approach what is claimed either. My point for myself with this was 80x4=320 ( or 400 with the fully charged bat to start) or less than the 2 or 3 401 batteries I would take with me to the bar on a given night. I was also kind of hoping a few other folks would do this same thing so I could see at least relatively to other batteries if I am dealing with a dud or if this is typical.

BTW Mustang was an interesting choice since I think that the 'fun factor' of a Mustang is pretty seriously over-rated (thats a bit of fun BTW don't take it too seriously).

Last edited:

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis
The reason I did this was for my own knowledge and part of that was to see if a PCC would be worth it. If the PCC is good for 4 full charges that still doesn't give you enough battery power for a night. I am really hoping that the 510 battery I have on the way can perform better otherwise even with the PCC thats not enough juice. Also they say the PCC is good for 4 charges but the thing I really get out of this is don't trust what they say for any battery. 192 puffs for the 401 doesn't approach what is claimed either. My point for myself with this was 80x4=240 or less than the 2 or 3 401 batteries I would take with me to the bar on a given night. I was also kind of hoping a few other folks would do this same thing so I could see at least relatively to other batteries if I am dealing with a dud or if this is typical.

BTW Mustang was an interesting choice since I think that the 'fun factor' of a Mustang is pretty seriously over-rated (thats a bit of fun BTW don't take it too seriously).

Battery life just varies. I've read posts where people say the non-LED 510 batteries last longer than the ones with LEDS. That would seem to make sense since the battery isn't powering the LED, right? But in my experience my LED batteries out last the non-LED batteries. So what does that prove? Nothing really. It just proves that for whatever reasons my LED batteries last longer. Another person will probably experience just the opposite. It's just hard to put a life span on these things because some just work better than others.

I guess my main point was that the 510 is more of a performance unit compared to the 401, so you pay a price in battery life.

As to your Mustang comment, no offense taken! Actually I've never owned a Mustang and have no desire to own one. I'm more of a Corvette guy, but I didn't use the Corvette as an example because I figured someone would point out that a Corvette actually get's damn good gas mileage on the Hwy! :D

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I guess that battery life and more importantly people's perception of battery life is variable was the reason I did this with flat out 'hit' counts. Really I am doing this for my own knowledge because there are things I like about the 510, but because the battery life in my experience is so bad (believe me if I hit that thing like I want to the count would be even lower) it might not be able to meet my needs. Actually to me the big surprise was how well the 4081 did at splitting the difference and how poorly they all did across the board. I want to find out before I dump a whole bunch of money on supplies I wont really use much. I am posting it because I figure other people might want to see the process (I know I wish there had been a post like this earlier) because honestly saying the 510 is like a muscle car and the 401 is like a family sedan doesn't really provide anyone with any useful information. Neither do comments like this thing hits like an ape on steroids or .... I guess I am the guy looking at the tech specs in the car magazine and not the pictures. To beat the car metaphor completely to death I am worried about 2 things after my experience with the 510. 1) It looks great on the quarter mile but I don't live on a quarter mile track or even worse the 510 is like the Mustang (actually a convertible Nova) my friend had in high school. It was tricked out 50 ways to Sunday and a lot of fun, but in reality it spent most of the time in his parents garage while he rode his bike and bummed rides off of others. I know what the 510 is and now I want to find out whether it is Muscle car 1 or muscle car 2 before I start buying chromed out engine parts. I guess I knew that this would be more of an issue with 510 fanboys than people who could actually use the info.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
It's common knowledge that 510 batteries don't last as long as others.

But it's also common knowledge that a Mustang isn't going to get the same gas mileage as a Corolla. But which car is more fun to drive? Get my point? :)

I completely agree...except the Gatsby took short drags with his 510....if he took normal 5-6 second draws he would get the average 40 hits that I get with the 510 before the battery runs out. The point is....there is a design flaw...you have a Mustang then you need larger gas tank...to handle the gas guzzler. The batteries should have been 1 cm longer and had 280 mahs like the KR808 batteries. It just frustrating that they didn;t do that since I think the 510 is probably the best performing three piece out there.

Last edited:

ShMiGgY

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
4081's are highly underrated... I can get plumes from it and also can get one battery to last me a day if i treat it right... I guess it being an older style it just doesn't get the attention, but, they work damn good and parts are CHEAP (found atty's for 3 BUCKS!! for them)... The only thing i can compare it to would be like a truck... Not real pretty, not the best status, but, it works hard.

401's, from all i've read and my own experience, are a bit overrated, but i still love mine. I just changed juice flavors from 555 to a french vanilla/coffee mix and the difference in throathit and vapor are huge.... I was surprised... It's a workhorse too, but in a different way, feels more like a family sedan in it's use and manners. I've noticed that mine too don't cut off... I have no idea why. Sometimes i take them all the way to the LED going out, then, just do a secondary puff (all while on my first inhale), and, it lights up again and keeps vaping... Mine never really "cut off" like my SM's do (blinking 5 times or whatever)... It can make for some pretty good draws... Only thing is if you keep going on one draw, a burnt taste is usually right around the corner and it takes a feel for it as to how far it will let you take it before that kicks in..

I hear the 510 is a sports car.... I dunno if i'm ready to shell out more $$$ for e-cigs... I'll wait until i hear more i guess.. I don't want to have to carry 3 charged batts with me every day. One of my least favorite things about vaping in general is the dance we play with having charged batteries for all phases of a day...

401 is best in that regard for me at least... One cart and one batt lasted me all day again.... and more vapor this time too since i changed juices......

Last edited:

Treece

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2009
USA
I just want to say thanks for doing this and posting the results. With the constant criticism of the RN4081, I'd begun to wonder what I was missing. (I don't really feel like I'm missing anything ... but we don't know what we don't know, right?)

The other day I was on the verge of ordering either a 510 or a Janty Stick. Instead, I ordered a bunch of RN4081 passthroughs, batts, and atties. Now--after reading this and other threads--I'm glad I did.

That's not to say I won't drive a Mustang one day, but for now, I'm happy with my little ... um ... PeeWee. :p

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis
I guess I knew that this would be more of an issue with 510 fanboys than people who could actually use the info.

I don't think any of us 510 'fanboys' has an issue with your info...in fact we all agree, battery life on the 510 is poor. All I was saying is that you can get 2 batteries in a kit..ANY kit, not just the 510...and potentially find big differences between the performance of the 2 batteries. It has sure happened to me anyway. So unless a LOT of tests are being done, any kind of battery result test between different models is useful and interesting, but far from being the final word. But with that said, yes, 510 users will tell you that the battery life is not very good.

All users have to decide what is most important to them. Battery life? Performance? Cart life? Style? etc. We ALL have different 'specs'.

I can tell you right now that a 510 is not for you. OR...you can do what many of us do. Battery life on the 510 isn't that good, but I like the performance. So I use the 510 at work or at home while hooked up to a passthrough. Bingo, battery problem solved. Plus, I have charged up batteries laying around so I don't even need to be tied to the passthrough. But when I'm out and about I'll use my VX2 (J118) because it has better battery life. I'm a VX2 fanboy too, but that's another story. :)

Maybe what I'm really saying is that you should consider, if you aren't already, having more than one unit in your collection...more than one 'car'. The Corvette for when you are at home, or the Corolla for when you are going to the bars. Sorry, but since you liked it so much I had to use cars analogy again! :D

Last edited:

SSRob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
Oklahoma! USA
www.vaporkings.com
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu
  • Reason: supplier posting in reviews forum

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis
Just to give you an idea how much I vape, I also bought a 15ml bottle of RY4 liquid (high), which I must say is excellent, and I've already vaped 7-8ml of it in a little over a day...some in the 501 and some in my 801.

You ARE the Vapor King !!! Don't tell me that you are vaping 36mg juice now! haahaaa

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Actually I was all ready to buy a PCC and a usbPass when I decided to do this test. The reason being I wanted to see if even with the PCC I would be happy taking this thing out on the town and whether I felt I get anything more out of it than the manual button which fairly soon I should be able to get on a usbPass from puresmoker for any of my atties. The thing is I already have a bunch of kits and how many cars do I need in the garage. I'm not Jay Leno after all. Damn that car metaphor. So far I am fairly certain that a manual usbPass on any of the atomizers I have will give me clouds of vapor and I am still on the fence about the PCC. Also I do plan to do some within style battery tests to get a grasp on the variability. Seriously its not as easy to count these things out as you think. Of course now there is the cartomizer brand issues which at some point I will have to check out although I hate carts and drip/dip almost all the time so those don't seem to fit me at all.

I don't think any of us 510 'fanboys' has an issue with your info...in fact we all agree, battery life on the 510 is poor. All I was saying is that you can get 2 batteries in a kit..ANY kit, not just the 510...and potentially find big differences between the performance of the 2 batteries. It has sure happened to me anyway. So unless a LOT of tests are being done, any kind of battery result test between different models is useful and interesting, but far from being the final word. But with that said, yes, 510 users will tell you that the battery life is not very good.

All users have to decide what is most important to them. Battery life? Performance? Cart life? Style? etc. We ALL have different 'specs'.

I can tell you right now that a 510 is not for you. OR...you can do what many of us do. Battery life on the 510 isn't that good, but I like the performance. So I use the 510 at work or at home while hooked up to a passthrough. Bingo, battery problem solved. Plus, I have charged up batteries laying around so I don't even need to be tied to the passthrough. But when I'm out and about I'll use my VX2 (J118) because it has better battery life. I'm a VX2 fanboy too, but that's another story. :)

Maybe what I'm really saying is that you should consider, if you aren't already, having more than one unit in your collection...more than one 'car'. The Corvette for when you are at home, or the Corolla for when you are going to the bars. Sorry, but since you liked it so much I had to use cars analogy again! :D

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
No problem. I am glad you liked it. I came away with a new respect for the 4081. In fact, since I was taking little 3-5sec hits with the 510 I noticed that the 4081 did well in comparison with throat hit anyway. It made me wonder what a 4081 with a manual battery would be like since my big problem during the test was a sticky switch and a cut off. I did also realize that something like a janty stick is probably in my future as well.

I just want to say thanks for doing this and posting the results. With the constant criticism of the RN4081, I'd begun to wonder what I was missing. (I don't really feel like I'm missing anything ... but we don't know what we don't know, right?)

The other day I was on the verge of ordering either a 510 or a Janty Stick. Instead, I ordered a bunch of RN4081 passthroughs, batts, and atties. Now--after reading this and other threads--I'm glad I did.

That's not to say I won't drive a Mustang one day, but for now, I'm happy with my little ... um ... PeeWee. :p

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I agree on both sides of the coin...

The 510 has piss poor battery life. On the other hand, I knew it had piss poor battery life when I ordered it so I got a PCC.

Thus-far, I've not been disappointed. The 510 with PCC lasts me a full day of work (12-14 hours) including drive time. I also carry a charger with me, just in case. I know that it will last me an entire night of partying (let's say 9p-4a) and it gives me huge vapor, throat hit, etc...

This certainly isn't my first rodeo and I didn't go in to the situation with any false expectations. What I know is this. I like my 510. I also like my pen and my Evo. At the end of the day, I'm happy with my purchase and that's all that matters to me.

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I agree on both sides of the coin...

The 510 has piss poor battery life. On the other hand, I knew it had piss poor battery life when I ordered it so I got a PCC.

Thus-far, I've not been disappointed. The 510 with PCC lasts me a full day of work (12-14 hours) including drive time. I also carry a charger with me, just in case. I know that it will last me an entire night of partying (let's say 9p-4a) and it gives me huge vapor, throat hit, etc...

This certainly isn't my first rodeo and I didn't go in to the situation with any false expectations. What I know is this. I like my 510. I also like my pen and my Evo. At the end of the day, I'm happy with my purchase and that's all that matters to me.

Hey Terrphon, Nice to have you chime in. I think I like my 401s because I basically got tutored on how to get the best of them from your posts and videos. Does the relative battery life seem right to you? I am ordering a PCC after looking at the math and think with the PCC it might work as my day time vaper, because I take smoke breaks during the day. I wonder about the night out though since at least when I am in a bar or at a party, I have they thing out all the time and in my hand or on the bar. If I have one in charging and one out being used I am concerned that the spent battery won't charge up enough in the time it takes to burn through the user. Its a shame because the vapor from the 510 seems like it fits drinking better than working. If the PCC works out I might have to go with the 510 as my day time kit and the 401 as the night-time and working in the yard kit. (The one thing a manual battery can never really do is be a proper hanger when your hands are busy).
Also according to the internets my juice and new 401 and 510 batteries are in customs so I might have a up dated battery count and some info on other versions of the 401 batteries by the end of the weekend if anyone is interested. Including a so-called high capacity 401 battery (I think the so-called will tell you how I expect that to come out).

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Hey Terrphon, Nice to have you chime in. I think I like my 401s because I basically got tutored on how to get the best of them from your posts and videos. Does the relative battery life seem right to you?

Here's what I've experienced:

My Evo (known to have longer battery life than other 410's) lasts between 8 and 12 hours, depending on how hard I beat the thing. I can't possibly hit my 510 as much as the Evo because I'd die and I find that being perfectly satisfied I get about 3.5 - 4 hours from my 510.

Considering the vapor production, size and minor factors, I'd say that's EXACTLY how the 510 should perform.

I am ordering a PCC after looking at the math and think with the PCC it might work as my day time vaper, because I take smoke breaks during the day. I wonder about the night out though since at least when I am in a bar or at a party, I have they thing out all the time and in my hand or on the bar.

What I think you'll find is that you don't hit your 510 as much as you do your 401. I spend quite a bit of time "out and about" in the evening hours and what I found is that with my Evo I am constantly hitting it. With my 801 I don't hit that nearly as often...maybe about 50%...I know that I already use the 510 less than my pen and get total satisfaction with no cravings or silliness so I can assume that I will use the 510 less at bars, too.

If I have one in charging and one out being used I am concerned that the spent battery won't charge up enough in the time it takes to burn through the user.

I haven't stop-watched it, yet, but I charged a completely dead battery to full in less than 1.5 hours yesterday with my PCC. If you keep the battery in your PCC when you're not using it, I think you'll be fine. Use the PCC like a cigarette pack. When you're not hitting the 510, put it away. When you need a puff or 2, take it out and do your thing. I think you'll find that the "ritual" of assembling the cig resembles the old "ritual" of getting out an analog and lighting it...enough so that you may actually find yourself a bit more satisfied.

(I make it a point to break down my gear when I'm not puffing and I know that the act of assembling it, vaping, disassemlbing it and putting it away has actually given more "fullness" to my vaping experience...I do it will all of my gear.)

If the PCC works out I might have to go with the 510 as my day time kit and the 401 as the night-time and working in the yard kit. (The one thing a manual battery can never really do is be a proper hanger when your hands are busy).

You're correct in that the manual thing can never be a proper lip hanger. I, for one, never smoked that way (could never stand to have the smoke blowing in face) so I have an advantage in that I *always* have my hand on my cig.

As for that, I believe that you will find ways to use the manual switch that render it functionally transparent...I know I have. I actually hold my 510 in such a way that the switch is activated with no effort, no clumsiness and completely naturally.

I will be doing a proper review on it and other gear, soon. When I do that, you'll see what I mean.

Also according to the internets my juice and new 401 and 510 batteries are in customs so I might have a up dated battery count and some info on other versions of the 401 batteries by the end of the weekend if anyone is interested. Including a so-called high capacity 401 battery (I think the so-called will tell you how I expect that to come out).

There are 401 batts out there that hold more power ;) The Evo batts, for example, are 10% higher maH than most other 401 batts.

You may be pleasantly surprised ;)

DuneBuggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
Near the Outer Banks of NC
Thats a interesting experiment. As a Npro and 510 owner id say those puff numbers are fairly acurate with what I get.So the 4081 last 2 1/2 times as many puffs.
Of course theres the issue of quantity versus quality.
My 510 gives me CONSISTANCY. My Npro? 1 out of 3 or 4 puffs is good (and when it hits good it IS enjoyable...one of out 3 times at best).
So which one REALLY lasts longer????? I can hit the 510 and calm that crave faster with less draws.
And the whole battery self engaging thing is a turn off. Wish all these models had a manual switch option!

2 spare batts and a charged one on the 510 keeps me from any AC power for 8-9 hours.
Or I could carry the 4081 charged,one battery,and a paperclip (for fills) to do the same...And allow myself time to refill it 30 times a day.
Granted that extra 510 batt outweighs the paperclip and its a pain to lug that extra heft of the battery around....But i'll manage!

Last edited:

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Thats a interesting experiment. As a Npro and 510 owner id say those puff numbers are fairly acurate with what I get.So the 4081 last 2 1/2 times as many puffs.
Of course theres the issue of quantity versus quality.
My 510 gives me CONSISTANCY. My Npro? 1 out of 3 or 4 puffs is good (and when it hits good it IS enjoyable...one of out 3 times at best).
So which one REALLY lasts longer????? I can hit the 510 and calm that crave faster with less draws.
And the whole battery self engaging thing is a turn off. Wish all these models had a manual switch option!

2 spare batts and a charged one on the 510 keeps me from any AC power for 8-9 hours.
Or I could carry the 4081 charged,one battery,and a paperclip (for fills) to do the same...And allow myself time to refill it 30 times a day.
Granted that extra 510 batt outweighs the paperclip and its a pain to lug that extra heft of the battery around....But i'll manage!

I couldn't agree more (bolded sections)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread