9v charging port

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeOn88

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2015
So I've seen a lot of mods that have removable batteries come with a USB port and a 9v charging port. I am aware that the USB is for firmware updates but the 9v is supposed to be able to be used for charging. From what I've read online and the warnings on the sites where you buy these devices you're not supposed to attempt to use the 9v port to charge. What I'm wondering is why do these devices even come with a 9v charging port if they're not even safe to use.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
If it has removable batteries, I'd remove them to charge them. That's the safest way. the 9v charge port they put on the original IPV4 was faulty. The charge board was only separated from a screw that it would ground against by a piece of tape. and if that tape shifted, the mod could (and usually did) die a fiery death.

Reactions: VapeOn88

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
If it has removable batteries, I'd remove them to charge them. That's the safest way. the 9v charge port they put on the original IPV4 was faulty. The charge board was only separated from a screw that it would ground against by a piece of tape. and if that tape shifted, the mod could (and usually did) die a fiery death.

That would be a physical design error, not a charge port circuitry issue. Any electrical short is trouble.

I still stand by - the majority of Charge port failures are from devices which people attempt Passthru Vaping at low resistance/high wattage.

Current fluctuates, circuits glitch, chips fritz and magic smoke exits the room.

Reactions: Boden

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Why would they even sell a product which is defective out of the box?

The nature of push to market designing. Generally caused by need to stay competitive in reaching market share.
Not a China not US trend, but a Business vs business competitive drive.

I worked and was an Owner in the aftermarket auto air conditioning business for many years. Engineers were a pain in the but to work with. and constantly stood behind Their design.(Yea, right)
My canned argument became:
It is your job to design and My job to resolve the issues in your designs that are causing failures.:glare:
At the end of the day, I won more than I lost by providing information on faults and corrective measures.:thumb:

Often things leave a factory seemingly ready to go. It is only after time in the field in daily use, issues of questionable design are realized by the end user.

VapeOn88

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2015
The nature of push to market designing. Generally caused by need to stay competitive in reaching market share.
Not a China not US trend, but a Business vs business competitive drive.

I worked and was an Owner in the aftermarket auto air conditioning business for many years. Engineers were a pain in the but to work with. and constantly stood behind Their design.(Yea, right)
My canned argument became:
It is your job to design and My job to resolve the issues in your designs that are causing failures.:glare:
At the end of the day, I won more than I lost by providing information on faults and corrective measures.:thumb:

Often things leave a factory seemingly ready to go. It is only after time in the field in daily use, issues of questionable design are realized by the end user.
You'd think that they would realize separating a charging port and a piece of conductive metal by a piece of easily moved tape was a bad idea tho. I picture them finishing up making the new device and then noticing the fault and someone casually reaching for some tape and sticking it in there and slowly sliding the cover on and being like shhhhh

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You'd think that they would realize separating a charging port and a piece of conductive metal by a piece of easily moved tape was a bad idea tho. I picture them finishing up making the new device and then noticing the fault and someone casually reaching for some tape and sticking it in there and slowly sliding the cover on and being like shhhhh

You obviously have not had a Tablet or a Recent cell phone apart. Polymer separation is a common practice. (i.e. tape)
Unlike a lot of consumers, I fiddle with things frequently.:)

VapeOn88

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2015
You obviously have not had a Tablet or a Recent cell phone apart. Polymer separation is a common practice. (i.e. tape)
Unlike a lot of consumers, I fiddle with things frequently.:)
I have seen that now that you mention it. But the material is secured down and won't move. They just slapped it in the ipv4 and didn't take much for precautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread