AGA-T2 frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
Germany
Did some searching and haven't really found an answer so I'm looking to find out if anyone has a solution to my specific prob.
I got my AGA a few days ago and have been trying to get it set up right. I have tried using 500 and 400 mesh. I've wrapped it tight and loose. Got the wick in there snug and loose as well. I don't have a torch and they haven't built any walmarts in Afgahnistan yet so a bic lighter will have to do. So my issue is that i get the wick and coil setup and glowing nice. Itheats from the middle out and glows nice and even all the way up to 12watts. Coil is wrapped 3/4 and comes out real consistently to 1.8 to 2 ohms and holds steady unless the positive nut comes loose. I've even gone so far as to glow it, shake the livin mess out of itthen glow Iit again with very consistent results. Then I put fluid in, prime it up and go to try it out and get burnt juice. Then I tip the setup glow the coils, take care of the hot spots that showed up and repeat only to get burnt juice again. Now I'm at a point to where I'm getting good flavor and vapor but still have a mild burnt taste. I've ramped the wattage up from 7 to 10 and the flavor and vapor increases with no real inceease in the burnt taste. Is this something I just need to let work out on it's own or do I still have a problem I need to work out?

Edit: I was using 70% vg yesterday and added in some 50/50mtoday to thin it out. But yesterday and today I've been able to tip and burn to cutoff with no glow. If I immediately hit it again it'll glow though. Give it a few seconds to wick back up and no glow.

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
A good substitute for torching the mesh is soaking the rolled wick in your least favorite juice and setting it on fire. Torching with a Bic might leave some sooty stuff. Not saying that is your problem, tho.

Your problem is probably a hot leg between top wrap and center post. Try playing around with how tightening the center post nut affects coil tightness. Also be aware of any twisting of the deck section (like if you "screw on" your top cap or such) can tighten or loosen the center post nut.

Radio

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
Germany
A little update. The other day I hatily wrapped a 5/4 coil with the tank full. I worked out what I could see and got back to vaping. It ran like a dream. I could hold the button to cutoff without burning anything and it was creating some crazy vapor and flavor. I noticed the extra wrap but left it alone cause it was rockin. The next day I tried to put some Boba's in and it all went downhill again. Haven't tried the 5/4 wrap again till yesterday. Now it seems to be running very well again. I've fonethrough half a tank of 50/50 and thenanother half tank withthe thickest stuff I got and it's been awesome.

So right now I'm believing what I had before might be a surface area issue? I've got some 30 gauge and some .5 mm ribbon on the way. Gonna try some diff setups now that I have one that works. Thanks for the replies and I'll update when I try somethin else.

Current setup
32ga 5/4 500 mesh rolled as tight as my fingers could stand and a loose fit in the wick hole. I also have the wick pulled in towards the pos post a bit.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Radio
you know i have the AGA-T2 also and for me it is one finnecky atty. I think as others have said that your burnt taste issue is a hot leg ( the top nut on these is infamous for coming loose) or the mesh not wicking. I wicked that sucker every way possible and one day perfect put it away for the night and next morning nothing even with a good tilt. What finally provided me some consistency was using 0.5 kanthal ribbon wire. I see you have some coming and I think you will be pleased.

Radio

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
Germany
Got my ribbon wire in. Got a new wick wrapped and holding steady at 1.3 ohms. It was much easier for me to get set up than the 32ga. So far I got a tank and a half down and just loaded up some Heather's heavenly tobacco 30/70. Flavor is really picking up as is the vapor. I also drilled out the air hole to 1/16. Not a big fan of that. I tend to like the tighter draw.

Then I went on a coiling binge. Rewrapped a coworkers protank withthe ribbon and 2mm silica and meshed and micro-coiled one of mine. Been a good day. To further add to my enjoyment of the day, my coworker is across the tent swearing up a storm trying to repeat what I did with another one of his coils lol.

Radio

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
Germany
Ok the ribbon was working ok but now only seems to want to heat from the top down. Tried working it out with no luck and just ended up with a good bit of gunk buildup at the top of the wick. The other prob I'm running into at the moment is heatsinking. That's the reason I gotta pump up the watts to 8.5-9 the get the coil hot enough. I tried setting up the AGA-TD and even at 15 watts the coils wouldn't glow. I got some 3mm ekowool on the way to hopefully remedy both probs. I also drilled out the airhole to 1/16. Vapor didn't seem to change much and the flavor got reduced. I think I'll be buying another top cap soon lol.

Krizzell

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Las Vegas
Ok the ribbon was working ok but now only seems to want to heat from the top down. Tried working it out with no luck and just ended up with a good bit of gunk buildup at the top of the wick. The other prob I'm running into at the moment is heatsinking. That's the reason I gotta pump up the watts to 8.5-9 the get the coil hot enough. I tried setting up the AGA-TD and even at 15 watts the coils wouldn't glow. I got some 3mm ekowool on the way to hopefully remedy both probs. I also drilled out the airhole to 1/16. Vapor didn't seem to change much and the flavor got reduced. I think I'll be buying another top cap soon lol.

Hate to say it buy you must have a short or hot spot at the top or something. Try to shorten the distance of the top leg what size ribbon wire are you using. I run .5x1 and it heats up like heck. This is 5wraps 1.4 ohms at 9.5 if you use a sweet juice it will gunk faster.

2013-11-01 19.43.06.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread