All of a sudden Juice that was good has a perfume taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
What is going on? I have had some that I have let age because it had a perfume taste, which went away, but this is stuff that tasted OK just yesterday, and now has a perfume taste to it. I did find one that does not, but not sure what it is because it was something from my DIY that I just didn't like at the time, and I didn't mark the bottle. :oops:

Anyone have any Idea's what is going on? I am lost on this one. I even mixed up a new batch that has been good without aging and it had the perfume taste, which i hate. What is working now I only have enough till the first of the week, so I have to figure this out, any help is MUCH APPRECIATED. Thanks

vape On
:vapor:

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Not to be mean or anything, but if you didn't mark the bottle and don't know what's in it, it's pretty impossible for us to say if something in it might have caused the problem.

I'm more inclined to think it's a physical problem. If I understand you correctly, it originally smelled perfumy, then stopped smelling perfumy, then abruptly started again. Correct? Could the liquid simply have move around/been shaken, thereby releasing more flavor molecules into the air?

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I hate perfumy. Still trying to figure it out, but I know that with DIY, the difference between a flavor that actually tastes like what it is supposed to, and one that tastes perfumy, can be a matter of a few drops of flavoring! It's a very precise and delicate process.

With that in mind, it might be possible that the maker of the juice used a bit too much flavoring, but it needed steeping time for it to come to its full potency and show itself to be overdone. What I would do is wait a week and try it again. If it's still perfumy, then you have an over-flavored juice. If the perfume taste has dissipated, then my theory is wrong and it was just a matter of needing steep-time.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Well I still don't know what is going on. so I just started from scratch. I racked my mind to remember what I mixed to get the non-perfume juice, remixed a small amount and tried it in my drip tip, all good. Cleaned and dry burned all my EVOD's and clearomizers, refilled a couple and am not having a problem at the moment. All I have been using is TFA for mixing except for the myvapejuice extract, seems it is from the TFA as without it I have no problem. I have some more ordered from Wizard Labs, but I will mix it in small batches and do LOTS of testing before I do larger batches. Cleaning everything today I wasted a lot of juice, and may have MANY ML more that I can't vape. Going to let it steep and see what happens. But I will test it for a while in my dripper before I put it in a tank.

Vape On

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I mix with all different types of flavorings TFA, Capella, Flavor West, Lorann, FlavourArt.

The one thing to remember about TFA is it's the strongest concentrate of everything I listed so generally speaking I go a little weaker on those concentrates than I do any others and get the same results. You didn't list whether or not you let these samples steep at all before putting them in your atty. Perfume and/or chemical tastes in e-liquid usually go away on their own within a few days of steep time.It's just a chemical reaction that happens shortly after the recipe is mixed. In my experience 99.9% of the time it goes away on it's own given a proper steep.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I mix with all different types of flavorings TFA, Capella, Flavor West, Lorann, FlavourArt.

The one thing to remember about TFA is it's the strongest concentrate of everything I listed so generally speaking I go a little weaker on those concentrates than I do any others and get the same results. You didn't list whether or not you let these samples steep at all before putting them in your atty. Perfume and/or chemical tastes in e-liquid usually go away on their own within a few days of steep time.It's just a chemical reaction that happens shortly after the recipe is mixed. In my experience 99.9% of the time it goes away on it's own given a proper steep.

Yes I did let them set for a while with the lid off. I have 200+ ml in the back room that have been there for over a month with the lids off. I try one or two in my dripper ever weekend. Tried a coffee this morning from NWvapor, had it for several weeks, still has a perfume taste, back to the back room to set some more. It could be my taste buds are just getting too good at detecting the perfume flavor. Currently the only thing I can vape is a tobacco flavor from myvapejuice, great as soon as I mix it. My order from WL will be here Monday so I will have about a dozen new flavors to experiment with and see what happens (hope the Juicy Peach is good).

Vape On

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Yes I did let them set for a while with the lid off. I have 200+ ml in the back room that have been there for over a month with the lids off. I try one or two in my dripper ever weekend. Tried a coffee this morning from NWvapor, had it for several weeks, still has a perfume taste, back to the back room to set some more. It could be my taste buds are just getting too good at detecting the perfume flavor. Currently the only thing I can vape is a tobacco flavor from myvapejuice, great as soon as I mix it. My order from WL will be here Monday so I will have about a dozen new flavors to experiment with and see what happens (hope the Juicy Peach is good).

Vape On

Juicy peach from TFA is much more fruit like than regular peach, I like it. Typically use it for my peacch vanilla tabacco. As far as the taste it very well maybe your buds or it might something else. Have you tried testing the flavors on different atomizers or other juice delivery systems?

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Juicy peach from TFA is much more fruit like than regular peach, I like it. Typically use it for my peacch vanilla tabacco. As far as the taste it very well maybe your buds or it might something else. Have you tried testing the flavors on different atomizers or other juice delivery systems?

I have the Juicy Peach and Regular Peach coming. I have tried them on EVOD's, Ce4's, G2, & RBA drip tips. From 1.6 to 2.4 ohms. Tried cranking up the volts on my iTaste to 5 volts. Even tried mixing some using only 5% flavor. But when I clean/dry burn, refill with the MVJ tobacco, no problem. Even the 6 or so tobacco's I have samples of from other venders have the perfume taste, but fixing to go get another to try and see if it has aired enough.

Vape On

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I went hog-wild as a noob buying juice from two vendors (one very popular one here.) Everything ($250.00 + worth) was perfume/soap tasting. Eight months (last time I tried them) steeping and they still tasted like that. Now more experienced, I think they both use the same brand of flavoring and it just doesn't fit my palate. DIYn, I bought some of that brand and got that same taste. Also, one of my favorite vendors changed to using that brand and my favorite juice from them suddenly tasted of perfume/soap. I envy those who can't taste it.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Mixed up some Juicy Peach, Nice... Could not vape all day, but it DOES taste like a ripe peach. Looking forward to trying some of the others. Smelled some tonight, some smell good, some not so. The honey smells like ..., yeck, REALLY NASTY, not sure if I will even try that one. I love honey and buy it by the gallon, but this stuff smells nothing like it, BTW it is the TFA brand.

Vape On

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Mixed up some Juicy Peach, Nice... Could not vape all day, but it DOES taste like a ripe peach. Looking forward to trying some of the others. Smelled some tonight, some smell good, some not so. The honey smells like ..., yeck, REALLY NASTY, not sure if I will even try that one. I love honey and buy it by the gallon, but this stuff smells nothing like it, BTW it is the TFA brand.

Vape On

TFA is really potent in concentration. Make a small 5ml sample of honey, 2-3% or so and try it, you may be surprised. I've never ordered honey but had similar experiences with other flavors.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
This thread almost belongs in the diy section.
The most important thing about mixing juice is to label all your bottles and keep a recipe book.
I also date my recipes and bottles, as well as any revisions I make to a recipe.
Come up with a name for each recipe. If you make a change and mix a fresh batch, add a revision number.
I usually use v1, v1.1 etc so I can cross reference back to my recipe book.
Nothing is worse than making a bottle of wonderful juice only to have no clue what you put in it.
Trust me, you'll forget 2 weeks down the road after it steeps what measurements you used for each flavor.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
As far as a juice going to being perfumey after steeping, I have never had that happen, store bought or diy.
I like to test juice after receiving or mixing as a benchmark.
Then sample it every few days to find what kind of steep time it peaks at.
It's usually 1 to 2 weeks.
But some complicated and or tobacco flavors need up to 4 to 6 weeks to peak.
At least that is my experience.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Well it ends up Most Juice has a perfume taste to me now that I have taste buds. :(
Only thing I like at the moment is myvapejuice natural extract (10%) and coffee (5%) in a 50/50 mix at 24mg/ml. Don't taste much coffee, but without it, it does taste different. Never did like the sweet stuff, 15 to 20 puffs is overload, so I will just stick with what works. I'll keep experimenting in small 1 to 2 ml batches to see if I can find something else that does not have a perfume taste. Also I have lots of bottles in the back room airing/steeping/aging to see if they get better with time.

Vape On

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
What is going on? I have had some that I have let age because it had a perfume taste, which went away, but this is stuff that tasted OK just yesterday, and now has a perfume taste to it. I did find one that does not, but not sure what it is because it was something from my DIY that I just didn't like at the time, and I didn't mark the bottle. :oops:

Anyone have any Idea's what is going on? I am lost on this one. I even mixed up a new batch that has been good without aging and it had the perfume taste, which i hate. What is working now I only have enough till the first of the week, so I have to figure this out, any help is MUCH APPRECIATED. Thanks

Vape On

I have yet to find a flavor that I'm just crazy about. The closest I've come was the White Cloud Fling Mini Zero-K which is a nice cool mint sort of like Doublemint gum. I sort of want to try a completely unflavored vape just to see what would be so wrong about that.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I have yet to find a flavor that I'm just crazy about. The closest I've come was the White Cloud Fling Mini Zero-K which is a nice cool mint sort of like Doublemint gum. I sort of want to try a completely unflavored vape just to see what would be so wrong about that.

I mix my own and tried some unflavored before I added the concentrate, it really needs some kind of flavor. I sorta like the WC Apache, wish I could find a juice that taste like it. I tried the Zero K (ordered a 10 pack of different mini's) but I don't like menthol much. If I had a cold or something it would be good to cool the throat, but not for me as a regular vape.

Vape On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread