Aluminum Danger Protank 3 Mini Coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfar

Moved On
Aug 16, 2013
Seattle
Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum. I've been vaping for 2 years.

Does anyone have any information on the vape = inhaling aluminum particle connection?

I assume they're talking about the heating elements. I've been using the Kangertech Protank Mini line so I emailed the company asking what materials are used on their heating elements. No reply....

I'm getting a little worried. Any info greatly appreciated.

Signmaker

Oct 26, 2014
Berks, Pennsy, 'Murrica
The heating element (coil) in KT heads is not aluminum, they use Kanthol. The housing surrounding the coil is aluminum. You have no danger of "inhaling aluminum particles", unless the coil goes full blown Chernobyl for some reason.

As far as the aluminum leeching into the ejuice and being vaporized, if the science carries over from the camping cookware world, you would have to seriously overheat the coil for an extended peroid of time for that to happen (>200f).

Jfar

Moved On
Aug 16, 2013
Seattle
What dangers are you specifically referring to jfar?

I've not seen any controversy regarding the use of aluminium in the Kanger heads. Do you have a link or can you share some information?

Are you talking about the risks associated with using Kanthal wire?

I haven't heard any controversy regarding Kanger coil heads in particular. I just thought that if other coils have this aluminum issue, it's possible that Kagers'coils could have the same issues as well.

What was the problem with Kanthal wire?

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I don't believe autherntic Kanger coils are Kanthol. Clean them and when you dry burn them sometimes they melt and pop. When I build Kanthol coils I can take out wicks dry burn them and they don't pop or even lose their shape. I would need a whole lot of proof to believe stock coils are Kanthol.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I haven't heard any controversy regarding Kanger coil heads in particular. I just thought that if other coils have this aluminum issue, it's possible that Kagers'coils could have the same issues as well.

What was the problem with Kanthal wire?

Which coils have this issue?

I am confused now, you stated in your thread title that there is a possible aluminum danger in protank coils, you tagged the thread aluminum, danger, cancer and protank and now you say you haven't heard of any particular danger.

I'm just trying to find out what specific issues you have heard about so we can give you specific answers, or at least we can discuss the relevant topic.

My mention of kanthal was simply because that is the one I have seen the most. As kanthal is an iron, chromium and aluminium alloy there was a lot of discussion about its use as a resistance wire and how overheating it may make it break down. Of course, we don't know the reality yet as there have been no studies done.

After researching just a bit, I found out Kanger use nichrome wire in their pre-made coils, not Kanthal. - Not sure about this...

Last edited:

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
The heating element (coil) in KT heads is not aluminum, they use Kanthol. The housing surrounding the coil is aluminum. You have no danger of "inhaling aluminum particles", unless the coil goes full blown Chernobyl for some reason.

As far as the aluminum leeching into the ejuice and being vaporized, if the science carries over from the camping cookware world, you would have to seriously overheat the coil for an extended peroid of time for that to happen (>200f).

There is no aluminum anywhere in kangertech heads.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA

I am confused now, you stated in your thread title that there is a possible aluminum danger in protank coils, you tagged the thread aluminum, danger, cancer and protank and now you say you haven't heard of any particular danger.

I'm just trying to find out what specific issues you have heard about so we can give you specific answers, or at least we can discuss the relevant topic.

My mention of kanthal was simply because that is the one I have seen the most. As kanthal is an iron, chromium and aluminium alloy there was a lot of discussion about its use as a resistance wire and how overheating it may make it break down. Of course, we don't know the reality yet as there have been no studies done.

In our application, the kanthal wire never reaches high enough temperatures to cause any metal vapors to be released into the vaporized e-juice. Only a burnt dry coil with a dry wick on a dry tank could or would ever reach that kind of overheated condition and 99.9% of us humans would have stopped vaping it before that because of the very harsh foul taste it would be producing.

Jfar

Moved On
Aug 16, 2013
Seattle

After researching just a bit, I found out Kanger use nichrome wire in their pre-made coils, not Kanthal.

I wasn't really stating anything from my title. I was asking a question. Sorry if it was misleading to you. I haven't heard anything specifically to KT products, just the general news/rumor about the aluminum and since I use only KT heads, I wanted to know. I emailed KT, but they didn't reply so I came here.

Are there any known issues with nichrome wire?

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
In our application, the kanthal wire never reaches high enough temperatures to cause any metal vapors to be released into the vaporized e-juice. Only a burnt dry coil with a dry wick on a dry tank could or would ever reach that kind of overheated condition and 99.9% of us humans would have stopped vaping it before that because of the very harsh foul taste it would be producing.

I am happy to use kanthal. I included that part of my post because the OP was asking why I mentioned kanthal wire in my response to his original post - not because I was stating an opinion either way.

Still, the fact remains that there is a large part of vaping that is unknown as we are using equipment borrowed from other applications and industries. Nobody can possibly know for sure that something we are using is 100% safe or unsafe.

For now, all we can do is educate ourselves to the best extent possible, and make our own choices.

jfar - No apology necessary, sorry if I came across that one was necessary. I was genuinely confused and just wanted clarification about exactly what you were asking. It's all good.

Dr. Farsalinos has put all of his studies and commentaries in one place. They can be found

Home <----- right there.

It's an excellent resource. I also highly recommend taking a look at a quick interview he did with P Busardo. Starts around 7:50 into it.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Source? I thought it was regular old A1

I'm going to edit my post, I am not sure now as I've seen conflicting reports. Many are saying kanthal and equally, many say nichrome. I can't find anything from Kanger directly.

If anyone else has a reliable source for what the wire is in Kanger coils I'd be interested to see it. Not for any particular reason, I just hate not knowing now...

underwhelmd

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
Canada
your thread title that there is a possible aluminum danger in protank coils, you tagged the thread aluminum, danger, cancer and protank and now you say you haven't heard of any particular danger.

yeah wow. seems like the real danger is misinformation being deliberately spread around. wow...cancer. nice one.

Jfar

Moved On
Aug 16, 2013
Seattle
I am happy to use kanthal. I included that part of my post because the OP was asking why I mentioned kanthal wire in my response to his original post - not because I was stating an opinion either way.

Still, the fact remains that there is a large part of vaping that is unknown as we are using equipment borrowed from other applications and industries. Nobody can possibly know for sure that something we are using is 100% safe or unsafe.

For now, all we can do is educate ourselves to the best extent possible, and make our own choices.

jfar - No apology necessary, sorry if I came across that one was necessary. I was genuinely confused and just wanted clarification about exactly what you were asking. It's all good.

Dr. Farsalinos has put all of his studies and commentaries in one place. They can be found

Home <----- right there.

It's an excellent resource. I also highly recommend taking a look at a quick interview he did with P Busardo. Starts around 7:50 into it.

Thank you for sharing these resources! I'll post here if Kangertech ever replies to my emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread