Am I doing something wrong with my KangerTech Mini Protank 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a handful of regular KangerTech EVODs for the past year, but the plastic is starting to crack on a couple. Other than that - they've worked wonderfully!

Based on glowing recommendations, I purchased a Mini Protank 2 a few weeks ago. Either I'm doing something wrong or this a radically different experience than the EVOD.

• The 'pull' is very airy, which means it's a much reduced throat hit and lower vapor reduction
  • Maybe it's a result of the reduced pull, but there isn't much flavor either

NOTES:
  • I'm using ego-c twist batteries
  • I'm still using the factor provided atty that came with the Protank

If this is normal for the Mini Protank 2, should I stock up on EVODs? Will they continue manufacturing them?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been using a handful of regular KangerTech EVODs for the past year, but the plastic is starting to crack on a couple. Other than that - they've worked wonderfully!

Based on glowing recommendations, I purchased a Mini Protank 2 a few weeks ago. Either I'm doing something wrong or this a radically different experience than the EVOD.

• The 'pull' is very airy, which means it's a much reduced throat hit and lower vapor reduction
  • Maybe it's a result of the reduced pull, but there isn't much flavor either

NOTES:
  • I'm using ego-c twist batteries
  • I'm still using the factor provided atty that came with the Protank

If this is normal for the Mini Protank 2, should I stock up on EVODs? Will they continue manufacturing them?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

1:
The plastic is starting to crack on a couple of your EVOD's? Do you vape cinnamon or citrus liquids? There are known flavors that react with plastic tanks.

2:
You can stick a toothpick in one of the airholes

3:
Do you know what ohm coils you use on the EVOD, and what ohm coils you got with the miniprotank2 ?
A miniprotank is pretty much like a glass version of the evod, so there should not be a radical difference in performance.

Hi edyle,

1. I thought the cracking on one of them was too to dropage (my bad), but 3 out of the 4 have had cracks and they continue to worsen. In the past year since I started vaping, 90% of the juice I've used is Hazelnut from a local seller and Vanda from Johnson Creek (sort of a creamy flavor - no cinnamon or citrus that I'm aware of)

2. Thanks for that toothpick trick!

3. RE: coils, I think they've mostly been 1.8 and 2.5 (I THINK the pro tank 2 came with 2.5).

I'm going to try the toothpick trick and a new atomizer head and see if there's any difference. I've heard great things about the pro tank and mini pro tank, so I have to assume the problem is on my end.

Thanks again!

1:
The plastic is starting to crack on a couple of your EVOD's? Do you vape cinnamon or citrus liquids? There are known flavors that react with plastic tanks.

2:
You can stick a toothpick in one of the airholes

3:
Do you know what ohm coils you use on the EVOD, and what ohm coils you got with the miniprotank2 ?
A miniprotank is pretty much like a glass version of the evod, so there should not be a radical difference in performance.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi edyle,

1. I thought the cracking on one of them was too to dropage (my bad), but 3 out of the 4 have had cracks and they continue to worsen. In the past year since I started vaping, 90% of the juice I've used is Hazelnut from a local seller and Vanda from Johnson Creek (sort of a creamy flavor - no cinnamon or citrus that I'm aware of)

2. Thanks for that toothpick trick!

3. RE: coils, I think they've mostly been 1.8 and 2.5 (I THINK the pro tank 2 came with 2.5).

I'm going to try the toothpick trick and a new atomizer head and see if there's any difference. I've heard great things about the pro tank and mini pro tank, so I have to assume the problem is on my end.

Thanks again!

When you put in a different coil, you will probably need to try adjusting the voltage on your ego twist

rule of thumb for those coils; add 2 to the ohms to set the volts
1.8 + 2 = 3.8 volts
2.5 + 2 = 4.8 volts

Last edited:

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
Evods are plastic and depending on the juice and how you clean them they will breakdown. While they are not one use disposibles they do have a lifespan based on conditions and usage.

There is a difference in the draw on them (evod/mini pt) but when comparing the same ohm coil on the same juice it's not something that is drastic. I think you are seeing a much bigger difference because of the difference in the coil ohms.

Put a 1.8 in your mini pt if that's what you use in the evod. You will have yourself sorted out pretty quick.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I have tried many Kanger clearos--and I like and use them all. I actually prefer my eVods and T3S clearos to mini ProTanks--they are simple to use, coils are a snap to clean. That said, If you want to improve airflow on your mini ProTanks, get an Aerotank base--they work just fine with single coils.

KangerTech Mini Aerotank Base - Sun-Vapers.com Compatible with mini Protank 1, 2, 3, and mini Aerotank.

If you want to try dual coils, I highly recommend you get an Aerotank (I have and love both the regular and the mini) with the new airflow control base. They are wonderful--they produce more vapor at lower wattages and I'm a big fan.

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
When you put in a different coil, you will probably need to try adjusting the voltage on your ego twist

rule of thumb for those coils; add 2 to the ohms to set the volts
1.8 + 2 = 3.8 volts
2.5 + 2 = 4.8 volts

The problem with this rule is that it always takes you to 8 watts--which is, for me, usually too high. I use this online calculator to calculate the wattage I want and I try to stay within my favorite (and Kanger recommended) 5-7.5 watts range. :D

Simple and elegant--and always accurate. Just plug in the numbers.

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
The problem with this rule is that it always takes you to 8 watts--which is, for me, usually too high. I use this online calculator to calculate the wattage I want and I try to stay within my favorite (and Kanger recommended) 5-7.5 watts range. :D

Simple and elegant--and always accurate. Just plug in the numbers.

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

I agree - use that "rule" as a starting point, maybe, and then adjust to taste. It IS handy to keep one from burning out a coil or singeing a wick, though!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Katya, just saw this KangerTech Mini Aerotank Base..... Pretty cool. Man, I have been away too long.

Do those help with the leaking onto the battery at all? Thx!

I never really had any leaking issues with my Kangers, so I simply have no idea, but they let you adjust the draw to your liking, which is nice.

A few tips:

If your clearo is flooding, the connections are not tight enough--or too tight. Keep reading.

If you're using clearos and getting a burnt taste it means that not enough juice is getting to the coil and you're basically vaping dry, hot air or inhaling smoke from the gunk that's burning off of your coil. Not a good thing. Another case of bad taste maybe the tank itself--some arrive covered with some kind of nasty grease; wash them with soap and water (just the tanks--soak the coils in PGA or vodka).

There are a few things you need to remember when using a T3 or an eVod or a ProTank--in addition to keeping your coils clean and free of gunk that accumulates on them.

1) Make sure that the atomizer coil is screwed into the base tightly--every time you refill; they often come not fully tightened from the manufacturer, or may have gotten loose through repeated refills.

2) Look at all the inner seals and gaskets to make sure they haven't become dislodged.

3) Make sure that you screw the tank into its base tightly. If it's not tight, it will leak.

4) When you screw your clearomizer into your battery, do not overtighten--screw it in only until it makes contact--no farther, or you may push the center post in too deep and cause all kinds of problems, including leaking. When the draw becomes tight or the taste and vapor production begin to diminish, replace the coil. This will happen sooner (even as soon as one day of heavy use) if you're using dark, viscous, or very sweet juices. The old coil can be cleaned and dry burned.

5) Make sure you're not getting any juice in the center tube when you're filling--this will cause your eVod to leak like a sieve. If some juice gets into the tube, close the top cap, place a tissue under your tank and blow gently through the clearomizer to get rid of any excess eliquid. Also, extra condensation inside the tank may, on some occasions, drip back into the center tube. Wipe your mouthpiece dry with a q-tip or a tissue when you refill (or more often when/if needed).

6) Take an occasional "primer puff" (a slow draw without activating the battery) when you vape. It helps move the juice into the coil chamber and removes any air bubbles that sometimes form in the tank and may cause gurgling or impede proper wicking.

7) New clearomizers (Aerotanks etc.) come with a clever airflow adjustment base--make sure you adjust the settings to your liking.

8) Take slow long draws rather than sharp and quick ones like we used to do while smoking cigarettes. Do not over vape, chain vape, power vape. Let the juice travel to the coil between drags.

9) Do not remove any flavor wicks if you're experiencing any leaking or flooding. Those wicks are there for a reason. If you feel that you have to remove a wick because your eliquid is particularly thick, do it carefully--one strand at a time. If your liquid is super thin, you can thicken it with a bit of VG (USP--pharma grade) or you can add another strand of cotton to your flavor wick. Don't add too much or you'll choke your atomizer and get a dry hit.

and last but not least:

10) Keep the coils and wicks clean (search ECF or YouTube for detailed coil cleaning instructions). Discard when when flavor and vapor start to diminish. Those coils are disposable.

Also, make sure you're vaping at correct wattages; Kanger recommends 5.5-7.5 watts for single coils. Dual coils require a bit more wattage than single coils. They also benefit from increased airflow.

Welcome back! :)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Katya, just saw this KangerTech Mini Aerotank Base..... Pretty cool. Man, I have been away too long.

Do those help with the leaking onto the battery at all? Thx!

I don't have leak issues, either, but the mini air flow base is open to the base of the coil head, so would not affect that at all. The full size air flow bases are a solid pin connection, so would eliminate that possibility on any PT, PT2 or PT3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread