Am I Wrong Here? Seems like common sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Okay, so this probably could have gone in General too but in the end, it applies very much to my own juice making and I thought the fine folks who hang out here would have a better handle on this.

This was a conversation I had with someone on another site. The issue at hand was that someone had juice that had 2x more nicotine in it than they wanted.

Him: Just cut it with PG or VG. If you add another 30mL [to a 30mL bottle], your nicotine will be cut in half.

Me: ... yes that's true, but if you double the volume and don't add more flavoring, you're going to lose a lot of the initial flavor. Some people might rather have the full flavor from a $22+, pre-made bottle.

Him: No you won't lose any flavor if you just let it steep.

Me: [yadda yadda yadda] I don't think that's how it works.

So this is not a matter of me going back and saying HAHA YOU'RE WRONG, if he even is. Maybe I am completely missing something. I steep my juices but I've never noticed them double in flavor from day one, no matter how long they sit. Some of them don't change much at all. Some of them change quite a bit, but I wouldn't necessarily say the flavor intensity increases much across the board. Sometimes with certain flavors I guess it does... but I don't think it doubles, and I think of it more as a profile change and a blending/richening than anything else. I know I'm not telling most people here anything new.

But, am I off here? Could I be using a certain amount less flavoring by letting all my juices steep for X amount of time? I allow different types of flavors different sit times; I thought this was pretty normal. Any insight would be super rad.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Steeping is a useful tool, but is not in any way, shape or form, magical despite the comments that may make it seem so.

A great strong flavor is very dependant on the ratio of flavoring. But, folks vape juice I find disgusting with enjoyment. Many of those taste over flavored to me, so it's very possible that cutting the flavoring ratio in half would be a good thing.

And if it works for whomever is doing it, hopefully they keep doing it. I'm off on my own path...

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I cut a lot of my flavored juices from vendors in half with unflavored nic to reduce the flavor. So with what I do the flavor does reduce but I've never let a bottle I've mixed sit long enough to see if the flavor gets stronger over time. I'm assuming it wouldn't get stronger because the flavoring has been reduced by half. I think I'll try it and see what happens.

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Thanks guys! Obviously that's what I sort of thought, and I have been mixing for quite some time. I just couldn't figure out if there was something I wasn't considering or what. I'm sure it's not as simple as "double the volume, half the flavor" and of course we all have our own taste sensitivity... but again, it just seems like common sense that greatly increasing the volume of ANY flavored liquid without adding more flavor will dull the original at least some, possibly greatly.

Thanks again for the responses :)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
On the other hand, I've had juices that still taste just as strong when diluted by 50% or more. I have a cinnamon roll liquid ("Sin" by Potion XXIV) that I had in a tank, vaped it down to nearly empty, and refilled with unflavored to clear it out before switching flavors. The "unflavored" tank tasted just a "cinnamon roll-y" as the first tank. Only when that one was empty and I filled it up with a second tank of unflavored, did I start to notice a drop-off in flavor; it was still very much "cinnamon roll," only not as strong. After tank that I switched over to my other flavor and didn't notice any "flavor creep" (probably because the new flavor was just as strong as the first one) but that first tank, even if there was half a mil soaked up in my wick, was still at least 2:1 unflavored:flavored and still had plenty of pop. So, depending on how strong it is to begin with, it's entirely possible that you might dilute it by half or more and still not have it be too weakly-flavored.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Okay, so this probably could have gone in General too but in the end, it applies very much to my own juice making and I thought the fine folks who hang out here would have a better handle on this.

This was a conversation I had with someone on another site. The issue at hand was that someone had juice that had 2x more nicotine in it than they wanted.

Him: Just cut it with PG or VG. If you add another 30mL [to a 30mL bottle], your nicotine will be cut in half.

Me: ... yes that's true, but if you double the volume and don't add more flavoring, you're going to lose a lot of the initial flavor. Some people might rather have the full flavor from a $22+, pre-made bottle.

Him: No you won't lose any flavor if you just let it steep.

Me: [yadda yadda yadda] I don't think that's how it works.

So this is not a matter of me going back and saying HAHA YOU'RE WRONG, if he even is. Maybe I am completely missing something. I steep my juices but I've never noticed them double in flavor from day one, no matter how long they sit. Some of them don't change much at all. Some of them change quite a bit, but I wouldn't necessarily say the flavor intensity increases much across the board. Sometimes with certain flavors I guess it does... but I don't think it doubles, and I think of it more as a profile change and a blending/richening than anything else. I know I'm not telling most people here anything new.

But, am I off here? Could I be using a certain amount less flavoring by letting all my juices steep for X amount of time? I allow different types of flavors different sit times; I thought this was pretty normal. Any insight would be super rad.

I think the guy saying you can dilute flavor % in half by doubling volume and then steep with no resulting change in flavor has never actually tried doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread