Amount of wick? Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissVixen

Jun 3, 2014
Santee, Ca
Hey all!
So I was experimenting last night with some builds. I wanted to see what all the variables would do. Right now I have 30g wrapped 7 times around a needle tip juice bottle (i think its about 2.7mm equivalent) clocking in at 1.2ohms.
Im curious to know what the change in amount of wick would have? I find myself typically using the same amount, regardless of build. Im using cotton right now. Does anyone have any input or preference on the amount you use?
Would more wick=more flavor? Or more cloud? Hmmm....

EDIT: sorry, totally forgot to say Im using a helios rda on my mvp v2...

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm assuming you are using some sort of rebuildable atomizer. With those the wick usually goes through the coil and down into the juice. Enough wick to reach the bottom of the liquid is sufficient. The wick should be a snug fit inside the coil. Too loose or too tight and the vapor suffers either from lack of wicking or lack of contact with the coils.

It's hard to tell from the info you presented. What's the name of your RBA?

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
Drippers are a bit more forgiving than tanks (imo) when it comes to wicking, but generally when using cotton the only variable that will change how much you use is the ID of the coil. Bigger coil diameter, you're gonna need more cotton to fill the space. Smaller coil ID, less cotton so you don't choke the wick. The wick just needs to work properly (Improperly being dry hits, flooding, spitting, etc); flavor and vapor depend more on the coil type, wattage, and airflow.

Also, as far as drippers go... I get the best results with just enough wick to go through the coil then touch the deck. Nothing looping around the posts or under the coil, just a small Ω shaped wick.

MissVixen

Jun 3, 2014
Santee, Ca
Drippers are a bit more forgiving than tanks (imo) when it comes to wicking, but generally when using cotton the only variable that will change how much you use is the ID of the coil. Bigger coil diameter, you're gonna need more cotton to fill the space. Smaller coil ID, less cotton so you don't choke the wick. The wick just needs to work properly (Improperly being dry hits, flooding, spitting, etc); flavor and vapor depend more on the coil type, wattage, and airflow.

Also, as far as drippers go... I get the best results with just enough wick to go through the coil then touch the deck. Nothing looping around the posts or under the coil, just a small Ω shaped wick.
Okay that makes a lot of sense. I just tried it with a ton of cotton, going through then looping around and stuffing it in there lol didnt really notice too much of a difference. Maybe less flavor. Now ill try less wick. Idk maybe its better to stick with my same ol same ol ahhaha

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Longer wick tails doesn't really change the vape. It just means more juice will be trapped in the wick which will never make it to the coil. The minimum amount to touch the deck on both sides of the coil is all you need. In fact, sometimes just having one tail touch the deck will work fine, with the other end just fluffed up and barely sticking out of the other side of the coil. You may find that the little fluffed up end gets dark, basically just filled up with "cooked" juice. This may degrade the flavor a little. I always use the former method, with both tails touching the deck.

You may get differing opinions on this, but really there is no set rule. Cotton is cheap and easy to work with, just try different things until you figure out what works best for you. This holds true for just about everything rebuildable. It sounds like you aren't having any wicking problems, so you can always go back to what you know works if something new you are trying has issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread