Another Janty Ego Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Jones

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Seattle
I am so pleased with my Ego, and its only the first day I have had it. It's pretty much what I had been waiting for, a 510 battery that lasts a long time. It behaves flawlessly, like a 510 with freshly charged battery, and the battery I put in has lasted me for hours, and I tend to chain vape quite a bit.

Lugging around a pocketful of 510 batteries is annoying, as was the PCC, and also the string of chargers I took with me when away for extended periods. I'd also previously blown $140 or so on a mod that was plagued with problems, causing me to give up on it and decide to stick with what I know works, stock 510's. I'd been hopeful that a better solution to the battery issue would appear, as I was losing patience with the 510 charging routine after 5 months of vaping, and was ready to order something new, probably the Janty Stick, when I saw this new device was available.

So far the Ego is exactly what I needed. It is a little larger, but light enough to still hold in my mouth. No problems dripping, I thought I would need to remove the cone for that, but it sits flush with my empty cartridge and does not need to be removed for dripping. The cone also shields from hot atomizer, condensation and any leakage, it is a great invention. The improved battery performance seems to make me need to drip slightly more often.

The device appears very well made, it looks classier and less like cheap drug paraphernalia than a stock 510. Despite it's slightly larger size, the location of the LED seems better suited for stealth vaping. It's also nice to be able to set it down on end.

Perhaps its too soon for me to review it, seeing some people having issues with sticky switches, but I feel pretty confident that this is what I'll be buying more of and steering all the beginning vapers towards.

I ordered from Janty USA as they were in stock last week, unlike the other sites I looked at in the US. They shipped immediately and it was in my hands in like 3 business days, so that made me happy. I was tempted by TW's extra atomizer and 7.5% discount code, but their weird short warranty period and prominent logos kind of didn't seem worth one extra 510 atomizer. Their 510 charger adapter looks like it could be cool, but I can't see why I wouldn't just get more rapid chargers if need be, and just pack away the regular 510 chargers in emergency backup supply.

I'm thrilled at the idea of being able to go out for the day/night with only a spare battery and atomizer. I can tell the improved performance of the device may necessitate that I lower the nic content of my juice or vape a little less.

Also, I use VG pretty much exclusively, and Cignot has been my regular and reliable and fast supplier, but their VG is only available in 24mg strength, so I'd like to find a VG supplier offering 12mg or 18mg. I can cut it myself but I don't like reducing the flavor, and don't always have the time to fiddle with juice, though perhaps now I will have more free time on my hands when not endlessly charging a chain of regular 510 batteries.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Well, that is good to hear! Mine has already shipped, and I can't wait to see it with me also...:p I've been using the Janty Dura-C (quite similar to the 510, if I'm not mistaken), and ordered the EGo exactly because of the longest battery capacity. Also, I've read that it produces more vapour and throat hit than the Dura-C, wich can't be a bad thing... (In fact, i've seen somewhere the EGo described as a 'Dura on steroids' :D) It's not that i'm not satisfied with it (has been my ecig of choice for the last fourteen months), but some more throat hit would be certainly welcome!
Thanks for sharing that review with the rest of us :)

G_Jones

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Seattle
Wow this thing is great. So far, lasting me approximately 5 hours per battery of pretty constant vaping. I could easily imagine that somebody could survive as a full time vaper just with one of these kits alone, with spare atomizers of course, as the rapid charger charges the other battery long before the one in use runs out. With a second kit like this I could anticipate only having to worry about charging batteries every couple of days or so.

Reducing my juice strength is certainly in order though, wow.

AiricR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My Tornado last me a complete 10 hr work day. I come in at night,Take the one off the charger and use it that night and the whole next day.

Im trying to make the carts feed mo betta and not drying so quickly..But the petsmart is out of the fluva and my grocer doesnt carry the LTB's...

So Drip smoosh it is until then...But and excellent device.

Alot smaller than I had expected...

G_Jones

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Seattle
I strongly suggest waiting for the Ego! I actually have been leaving the house with no stock 510 batteries. Wel, ok, it's true that there is an emergency backup kit in my glovebox.

Interestingly enough for me, my Protege replacement switch arrived in the mail today. I'd paid $115 for the Puresmoker Protege kit (510 adapter style with charger plus 2 batteries) about 6 months ago, and to make a long story short it has been inoperable for most of that time. The new style replacement switch, which they sent for free, is of much improved construction, and now my Protege works fine. It's basically the device I wanted previously, that the Ego turned out to be for me now - a 510 with extended battery life and consistent power. So, after side-by-side testing, I can compare the two directly.

The Protege runs at 3.7v, and as pointed out on these forums, the 510 and Ego/Tornado batteries clock in at 3.1v. I really can't tell much difference in the two units as far as vapor, as they both provide solid consistent power far beyond a stock 510, nice big clouds of vapor, and hours of charged battery life.

The Protege lacks any kind of LED, is twice as heavy and is actually at least a half inch longer than the Ego, though it is constructed as if it will last for many years. The Protege was (and still is) more expensive to buy as a kit up front with the charger kit and a pair of batteries, but additional batteries for it were only $5 each and I got two extra at the time. If I buy two more batteries for the Ego (which I am sure i will, and more cones), I will have spend the same amount as I did for the Protege with four batteries.

The Protege switch (especially the new one) requires more push to activate, I think it is far less likely to get depressed accidentally in a pocket than the Ego, which is a soft touch like a standard 510 battery. With the Ego battery, the switch clicks on letting you know it is activated, on the Protege it is pretty easy to not depress the switch all the way and end up drawing nothing at all. Also, the Protege is a little too heavy to hold in one's mouth, it might slide off the cartridge.

None of my atomizers will or have ever threaded completely down on the Protege, which seems to introduce some extra leakage in the small gap, and this then makes things a little sticky, which I suspect ultimately may have had something to do with some of my switch issues. I am guessing this would not be an issue for non-drippers.

I am pleased with both devices, but find the Ego to be more suited to my daily out-and-about needs, and what I would take on vacation or any time leaving the house as it is smaller and lighter. I can get 4-5 batteries for the Protege for the price of one Ego battery, a consideration, but as a dripper I am sold on the Ego due to the cone, which keeps my fingers and pocket free from juice leakage and condensation, and prevents any external leak issues at all.

The Protege may not be what I take with me every day, but I will be trying out some of the Nhaler low-resistance 510 atomizers as these should work fine with the Protege's true 3.7 volts, and give a considerable performance increase. I don't believe they are recommended for Ego batteries as it sounds like they may kill them faster.

Now I do like the idea of buying something from a manufacturer in my own country, and Puresmoker customer service was excellent and it is obvious they care quite a bit about the quality of their products and taking care of customers. The Protege is lovingly designed and very nicely built and I am sure I will order more stuff from them in the future. I did chose the Protege in the first place with the idea of it being the most portable, discrete, and durable 510 mod available at the time, and though I kind of hate to say it, the Ego wins out for me now for a portable stock voltage device and certainly in the dripping department. The Protege may, as true 3.7v device win out in strength with the low-resistance atomizers, I will test it and see how it performs when I get my hands on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread