HighTech

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
USA

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Have you got any links/evidence for the RWJF grants? I have looked and looked but I can't seem to find any.

The RWJF actually gave a grant to the AMA who provided the charity with a list of recipients before the grant was....granted!:)

Oldie but goodie:

Coordinating Committee Fights to Prevent Tobacco Use by Youth - Grant Results Reports - RWJF

On this page you can see the length of the association and who passed the money out:

http://www.rwjf.org/pr/product.jsp?id=16549

Administration
To oversee the projects, RWJF established the SmokeLess States national program office at the American Medical Association (AMA) in Chicago. Thomas P. Houston, M.D., director of the AMA's Department of Preventive Medicine and Environmental Health, served as national program director. The first deputy director was Kathleen C. Harty, M.Ed. She was succeeded by Donna Grande, M.G.A., who was promoted to program co-director in 2000.

Funding
RWJF's Board of Trustees authorized a total of approximately $88 million for the 11-year program, which concluded in June 2004. RWJF supported the national program office at the American Medical Association with an additional $10 million in RWJF grants, which fell outside the authorized amount for program activities.

Last edited:

Fredrick

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
South Florida (Broward County)
As stated in this link:
What we don't fund - What we fund - Grants - RWJF
RWJF does not provide support for:
lobbying of any kind.
It would be nearly impossible to trace money to ASH from RWJF, because if they do receive any funding it would be throught:
Unsolicited Proposals
We do not fund unsolicited proposals in the Childhood Obesity, Coverage, Public Health or Quality/Equality program areas. Rather, we support projects in these areas by issuing calls for proposals (CFPs) throughout the year.
Therefore, I will retract connections between the two in any of my previous posts until I can prove otherwise (as I would not want to slander without evidence). Although, last night I did find a lot of grants that looked to be going in the direction of organizations that work hand-in-hand with ASH, but fell short of proving it was going to them. Unfortunately, I fell asleep while researching last night, and my computer shut down without those links being saved yet. I will find them again today.

I'm also putting together a little something from the link that ladyraj posted concerning Pfizer moneys donated in the last two years.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
I thought everyone was aware of a connection between the pharmaceutical industry and ASH. It's been discussed before on some of the forums I thought. They have a listing on fakecharities.org

D puddlecote writes a great blog, sometimes about them and their vested interests. He mentions in one post (a great read) how they first ignored and then basically spat on the grave of Allen Carr, a respected and best-selling author of a quit smoking guide who advised against using pharmaceutical products and presumably for that reason.

You might not be able to find a connection between ASH and the Robert James foundation now but in 2001 they did actually have a small share holding in GlaxoSmithKline as evidenced in this leaked letter to the management at GSK (an interesting read).

How 'small' is not known - but seemingly sufficiently large to allow ASH to coerce and threaten the GSK board;

"ASH has worked closely with both Glaxo and SmithKline Beecham staff and always welcomed the active collaboration. I hope to continue this with the merged company. We have worked with GSK under the auspices of the WHO-Europe Partnership Project on tobacco dependence and at various one-off opportunities. ASH was instrumental in securing greater government commitment to smoking cessation products in the NHS National Plan and we have helped with PR for both Zyban and Niquitin CQ. Our involvement with GSK staff has, I believe, been mutually beneficial, and we have gained from exposure to the company's arguments and insights. I have always admired the commitment and professionalism of the GSK staff involved...

...ASH has a small shareholding in GSK and I will be attending with others to question you and the Chairman on this situation. I hope that Mr. Bonham will have already announced his departure by then and that such questioning proves unnecessary. More than anything, I would like to resume normal and constructive relations with GlaxoSmithKline."

The letter reads suspiciously like: "Do what you are told or we won't promote your products!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread