Aspire Nautilus has a Chromed Brass chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phibes

Oct 30, 2014
After checking the Aspire forum, I found out this thread Aspire Support: •View topic - the chimney of the Nautilus is chrome plated brass

Aspire actually admits that the nautilus chimney is made of brass and the surface is chromed.

I've checked the nautilus manual (http://www.aspirecig.com/uploads/soft/Manual-aspire-Nautilus.pdf) and all they say is that Nautilus is made of Stainless Steel & Pyrex glass. They never mentioned the Chromed Brass chimney before...

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
yea it seems a little misleading to me for Aspire to omit that part

Yeah, I'm still waiting for them to tell us exactly what kind of material is used in their BVC coils--ceramic? fiberglass? Their website contains conflicting information (ceramic on the website, fiberglass in the attached PDF file of the lab test results). I don't care for inhaling fiberglass. :facepalm: I sent them emails asking for clarification--no response.

I don't like that company--either they are lying or they don't know what they are doing.

Phibes

Oct 30, 2014
Yeah, I'm still waiting for them to tell us exactly what kind of material is used in their BVC coils--ceramic? fiberglass? Their website contains conflicting information (ceramic on the website, fiberglass in the attached PDF file of the lab test results). I don't care for inhaling fiberglass. :facepalm: I sent them emails asking for clarification--no response.

I don't like that company--either they are lying or they don't know what they are doing.

That too. First it was the wick (ceramic, fiberglass or not), now we find out that it's not full stainless steel. Don't know what will come up next. Is the Pyrex really a Pyrex???

Companies know exactly what they are doing. It was their choice to use chrome brass and say that is stainless steel. Thankfully for the users someone found out what really happens.

DT Artisan

Unregistered Supplier
Sep 19, 2014
Florida, USA
www.mysticdriptips.com
After checking the Aspire forum, I found out this thread Aspire Support: •View topic - the chimney of the Nautilus is chrome plated brass

Aspire actually admits that the Nautilus chimney is made of brass and the surface is chromed.

I've checked the Nautilus manual (http://www.aspirecig.com/uploads/soft/Manual-aspire-Nautilus.pdf) and all they say is that Nautilus is made of Stainless Steel & Pyrex glass. They never mentioned the Chromed Brass chimney before...

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Wow...and I was a big fan of the Nautilus!

In fact...i'm vaping one now. :vapor: However I can say from experience that I highly doubt the tank is Pyrex glass. I've had one very slowly roll across a table, hit a glass drinking glass...and break. :glare: WAY too fragile to be true Pyrex, IMO. The problem i see, is that yes...companies know EXACTLY what they are doing and just hope we won't uncover the truth, be it accidentally or on purpose. And when we do, they either make us out to be the lunatic or say that we altered their product in some way. Sadly it's coming down to this; Unless you make something yourself, you'll NEVER really know what's in it. That's why I DIY my own e-juice too... ;)

Be Well!

Bri

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Exposé!!! Can someone educate me the harmful effect of brass/chrome as chimney material?

The issue of brass safety has been discussed here many times because it's an alloy that may contain lead and other questionable metals. I believe that nobody knows for sure, especially since we'll never know what kind of brass is being used in China to make our vaping gear. This is one of the many threads discussing brass.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...27-brass-made-atomizer-toxic.html#post7314719

Having said that, there are other potentially dangerous metals we're using--there have been discussions about safety of kanthal wire, nichrome wire, polycarbonate, even stainless steel--some ss alloys may also contain lead, only surgical grade ss is pure.

What bothers me about Aspire are the lies, denials and lack of transparency. Just tell me what material you're using and let me decide if I want it or not. Their fiberglass may very well be the amorphous fiberglass, which is perfectly safe and FDA approved. Why won't they just say so? The same goes for the Pyrex glass(?) and chromed brass(?). Just tell me the truth.

Jake67

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Us
If it is in fact true about the chimney shame on them. I also say shame on all the American companies that are distributing their products blindly.
Why are these companies not placing QC people in these factories to make sure that the products they are distributing are actually made to specs that are being represented. If these companies claim to be to small to absorb or the cost would be prohibitive I say Bulls--t. There are agents overseas that do this very thing and get paid for this service.
No one wants any policing of this industry but if these findings are real shouldn't the companies that want to sell their products in the states be held accountable for the products they sell?
It's for these reasons that we need more products made here in the US.
Yes things will be more costly ,but not if you now plan to trash all your Aspire products.

Sent from my iPhone

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yeah. I'm also disappointed with most e-cig reviewers, honestly. They get those products for free, use them for 15 minutes (or a couple of hours) and then rave about them on YouTube... The only person who actually took an Aspire coil apart and expressed his doubts about the filler and how it crumbles when touched was Rip Trippers. You'd think that somebody else would investigate further--there were some discussions on Reddit and other e-cig forums after Rip's review, but they went nowhere and died.

My own inquiry on Aspire website was censored and not allowed to be posted. It was just a simple question about the fiberglass they are using.

But the way, that chimney is chromed brass--Aspire's rep first denied it and then confirmed it--reluctantly. :facepalm: And the denial was later promptly removed from the website...;)

http://support.aspirecig.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=601

Dear Eric,
I fell very sorry for my ignorance.
Our service and general manager have told me about this.
Yes the chimney is made of brass, and the surface is chromed,you can say it is made of chromed brass.
I think that I need more learning of our products every day.Sincerely sorry again.
Have a nice day!

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Has anyone cut one of the chimneys in half to verify this? Also, if the Chrome stays put on the brass,. is there still a contamination issue?

Check the link attached in the OP--there are pictures posted of the chimney sanded down to pure brass.

Also this:

Your service department ( service@aspirecig.com ) replied :

"Dear Customer,
The chimney is made of brass, and the surface is chromed,you can say it is made of chromed brass.
When it is long using,the chrome on the surface will lost,and the brass will appear.
For the chimney is not easy to made of 100% stainless steel.
Have a nice day!"

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
What about Kanger products? If this is true, I will get rid of my aspire tanks and I have to find a replacement.

I don't know for sure, but so far, I haven't seen any reports that Kanger tanks advertized as stainless steel are anything but. Not only that, Kanger even introduced Genitank line, which is made of chrome-plated copper and not stainless steel and is, consequently, less expensive but functionally identical to their ss Aerotank line. That's all I know.

That said, if I could make a suggestion, please contact Aspire first. Don't throw anything away because we don't even know if their products are harmful. But if more people take a stand and start asking questions maybe we'll force them to tell us the truth--or even switch to safer alternatives.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Any drip tip will fit in the nautilus, use whichever you prefer.

We're talking about the chimney, not the drip tips.

fullmetaljacket.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread