Status
Not open for further replies.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
I didn't know it was safe to submerge atomizers completely in water, let alone boil them. I thought there was some electronic something or other in there. Good to know. I'm totally gonna be doing this, thanks parked :thumb:

I hope someone can answer my RN4072 question though... It's the one I use most and I wanna be able to maintain it properly.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Atomizers are 8 to 10 bucks. That's only about 30 cigarettes worth of money. Money well spent. Stock up on atomizers and forget about it. When they die, replace them. I've had atomizers last 3 days, then turn around and the next one I pop in lasts over a month. Being able to breathe is more than worth the few bucks it takes to keep a few spare atomizers handy.

1 pack a day habit @ $5 a pack = $150 a month.
1 months worth of cigarette money will buy you 18 atomizers.
18 atomizers would last 9 months to a year.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
Atomizers are 8 to 10 bucks. That's only about 30 cigarettes worth of money. Money well spent. Stock up on atomizers and forget about it. When they die, replace them. I've had atomizers last 3 days, then turn around and the next one I pop in lasts over a month. Being able to breathe is more than worth the few bucks it takes to keep a few spare atomizers handy.

1 pack a day habit @ $5 a pack = $150 a month.
1 months worth of cigarette money will buy you 18 atomizers.
18 atomizers would last 9 months to a year.

That would be fine if it were the only expense, but there's batteries and liquid too. I could be wrong but from what I've read it seems most people at this forum are in agreement that e-cigs actually end up being more expensive than analogs.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
That would be fine if it were the only expense, but there's batteries and liquid too. I could be wrong but from what I've read it seems most people at this forum are in agreement that e-cigs actually end up being more expensive than analogs.

You're right I was only referring to atomizer expenses. I did that just to show what the atomizers alone would cost to replace at 2-3 weeks in comparison to cigarettes. The best money saver you can do IMO is to buy a USB passthru cable and/or make your own reliable battery. The only thing I need to buy regularly now is atomizers and liquid. Liquid runs me about $30 a month. If I could just stop buying experimental stuff to mod into batteries I'd be in good shape! lol - but again that's something I do as a hobby and isn't necessary. If you rely on ecig batteries then yes I could see that expense going way up.

Last edited:

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
The best money saver you can do IMO is to buy a USB passthru cable and/or make your own reliable battery...

I do have a USB passthrough and also just got the APC battery everyone's talking about. That'll probably be a big money saver, though I find myself still using the regular batteries often. It's nice to be free of that wire hanging off the end, especially when I'm out. It feels more like a cigarette. Though when my batteries crap out I probably won't replace them. Not worth it.

But back to the original point, if a few minutes of weekly maintenance can make my atomizers last significantly longer so I don't have to keep buying them, I think it's worth the time. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Mine last about 3 weeks for my penstyle--at 10 bucks a pop (2 packs of anologs), I just consider them disposable. I do put it upside down every night and let it drain. As for boiling, I think they are a little to delicate to risk ruining one that is still working. I truly think that the cleaning cycle is the cause of my failures as they die shortly (a couple of days) after it occurs.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
Great :rolleyes: . And melt the heater cables isolation which can only take 70°C not 100°C of boiling water and

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...es/4672-bad-atomizer-post75106.html#post75106

How do you know how much heat they can take Taelon? Do you know that for sure? Did you read it somewhere?

I was wondering about the plastic components myself, but if Parked says he does this regularly and has never needed to replace an atomizer, how do you explain that... is he lying?

It could be that if you remove the atomizers from the water as soon as it starts boiling, as Parked says he does, maybe those insulators don't have enough time to start melting. Just a thought.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK

parked

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
How do you know how much heat they can take Taelon? Do you know that for sure? Did you read it somewhere?

I was wondering about the plastic components myself, but if Parked says he does this regularly and has never needed to replace an atomizer, how do you explain that... is he lying?

It could be that if you remove the atomizers from the water as soon as it starts boiling, as Parked says he does, maybe those insulators don't have enough time to start melting. Just a thought.

He doesn't look at all his few post he is "Mr. Know It All" aka TROLL

Why in the hell would I make it up lol just trying to help the man ! :)
and show him what I do to make them last

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
Hmm. I'm not an expert my any means, but it stands to reason if the heater coil wires are connected directly to the heater coil, and THAT gets 250 - 350 degrees (more on a clean cycle), then those same heater coil wires would be able to withstand a brief shot of 100 deg (boiling temp) without an issue.

I've done my share of soldering in my cigars too, the wire coating in those is pretty resistant to my soldering iron too ;-)

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
Oh geez.
No. Use steamcleaner machine with low pressure setting or alcohol. Particles from undistilled water and soap will fill up the metal swam of the liquid feed and break the liquid feed flow after time.
Same for boiling and boiling could damage internal cables if any or other temp sensitive parts of the atomizer.

Well there you go. Water boils at 100deg C. Then it becomes steam. Steam can be 400 degrees, or 200 degrees. Or even 100 degrees. But steam can never be less that 100 degrees, because then it becomes water again. So if you say steam doesn't melt the wires, then boing water won't either.

That is tooooo silly ;)

Well, I can flat out say that the "melted wires" claim is a non-factor. I drop mine in water so hot that it boils even more after putting it in - now that's hot! The thing works amazingly well after such a water/dishsoap cleaning. It's like night & day compared to a dirty one - really enhances the flavour as well, in addition to increasing the vapour output.

Not quite on par with a brand spanking new atomizer (nothing is), but excellent performance nonetheless.

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
Thanks for being the guinea pig SuperStack, now we know :) I was thinking along your lines RjG -- although I didn't know what temp the coil heats up to, I figured it needed to be at least boiling temp to vaporize liquid. 70 degrees doesn't seem like it would vaporize anything.

Parked is vindicated. :)

Last edited:

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Anybody tried boiling atomizer in alcohol? It has lower boiling temperature and should dissolve some of the junk. I soaked my DX ultramini att for some 2 days but unfortunately did not think of boiling it, too. (I do not know if soaking helped. The problem was in something else, not the att. The att. just works, probably the same as before.)

equazcion

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
New York City, USA
Anybody tried boiling atomizer in alcohol? It has lower boiling temperature and should dissolve some of the junk. I soaked my DX ultramini att for some 2 days but unfortunately did not think of boiling it, too. (I do not know if soaking helped. The problem was in something else, not the att. The att. just works, probably the same as before.)

I'd try it but the closest thing I have to rubbing alcohol is Absolut :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread