Bad anxiety when cutting out smoking, anyone els?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
growing up I had slight social anxiety. Got nervous around crowds and would get panic attacks, some small, some larger at random times. I feel okay during an average day but when I kick the cigarettes completely and switch to just vaping I get mini panic attacks pretty frequently and feel overly nervous around people and that's always lead me to jump back to smoking. Anyone els ever came across this problem?

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
growing up I had slight social anxiety. Got nervous around crowds and would get panic attacks, some small, some larger at random times. I feel okay during an average day but when I kick the cigarettes completely and switch to just vaping I get mini panic attacks pretty frequently and feel overly nervous around people and that's always lead me to jump back to smoking. Anyone els ever came across this problem?
Maybe you just need to vape a lot more. I've had social anxiety for sure, but it hasn't affected my transition to vaping much.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
It could be part of the "quit smoking" pshychology. I remember when I first tried to quit smoking many years ago, after some time into it I was like "what do you mean, I can't ever smoke again, not even once?". The idea made me anxious.

Get a different goal, like "I want to become an occasional smoker and light one on special, rare occasions". It's much more bearable.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
My biggest problem was stress, but anxiety did play a part while quitting smoking. I just kept a pretty high nic content juice around for those times, and it seemed to help immensely. I normally used 18mg when I quit, and my emergency juice was 36mg. Strong stuff, but it gave me a bit of a jolt and made it way easier.

Reactions: AllElseFailed

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
My dad started at 18mg, thought he was ready for 15mg and he got all jittery so we bumped him back up to 18mg with his Atlantis.
Ya Actually today I bought a mocha flavoured juice from my local vendor that was 12mg and ended up adding some 24mg mocha flavour by the vendor halo that I had ordered online a while back but decided was maybe too strong. I'm going to strengthen it up for awhile and see what happens. Thanks!!

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
My biggest problem was stress, but anxiety did play a part while quitting smoking. I just kept a pretty high nic content juice around for those times, and it seemed to help immensely. I normally used 18mg when I quit, and my emergency juice was 36mg. Strong stuff, but it gave me a bit of a jolt and made it way easier.
Thanks man! I will try that out. Cause I really want to kick the smokes for good!!

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
I feel your pain, panic attacks are not something to take lightly, I have suffered from them for years. I have actually not had one since I switched to vaping a few months ago.. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not. What nic level are you vaping? I used to smoke a pack a day, and find 18,or 24mg work well for me
Ya panic attacks suck. Right now I vape 12mg but everyone seems to think I should bump that number up a bit. That I shall do. I'm hopeing if it continues it will eventually go away just from my body adapting to the change haha

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Thanks man! I will try that out. Cause I really want to kick the smokes for good!!
Best of luck to you! That's what we all strive for. I wouldn't stress about it though. It's all about the cigarettes you don't smoke, not the ones you do. I vaped for 4 months on my little ego and evod tanks before I ever felt the need to upgrade. It's all about getting the best experience out of the equipment you have.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
One thing to keep in mind is that vaping won't give you the instant satisfaction of a cigarette.

I feel for you on the anxiety front, and if I can add anything else it's to remind you that smoking is a trap, a negative feedback loop. You will still need willpower to help you get by those rough times, but IT DOES GET BETTER! Just keep the vape close by and if you do break and have a cig, don't beat yourself up about it; try, try again.

And of course, welcome to the support group! :)

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Best of luck, for some it won't happen over night. I quit dip over night but smoking took a couple weeks. My dad somehow went from 2 packs a day to 3 cigarettes a day in the morning. I've seen people take a month before on here. Even if it takes you a month the end goal will be worth it. As you continue to vape you should see the amount you smoke significantly decrease. What mod are you using? Maybe you're using a setup that isn't delivering the hit of nicotine where you can feel it.

Reactions: yuseffuhler

issy

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Between Timid and Timbuktu
Yes, and I feel for you. On day 4 of vaping/not smoking, I had a major panic attack that had been building. It was one of the dissociative ones and lasted for almost 4 hours. I thought I was going crazy, and I had 24mg juice at the time. I couldn't seen to find the right balance. Looking back, I probably should have been a dual user at first. Best of luck to you.

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
Best of luck, for some it won't happen over night. I quit dip over night but smoking took a couple weeks. My dad somehow went from 2 packs a day to 3 cigarettes a day in the morning. I've seen people take a month before on here. Even if it takes you a month the end goal will be worth it. As you continue to vape you should see the amount you smoke significantly decrease. What mod are you using? Maybe you're using a setup that isn't delivering the hit of nicotine where you can feel it.
Ya man I know it takes time. I was using the halo triton for awhile and then got a cheap ego from my local shop, then I upgraded last week and really started trying out different juices and styles of flavours. Right now I got the E-leaf I-stick 30w. Got a kangertech tank and also an E-leaf tank!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: dbrandt01

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
Best of luck to you! That's what we all strive for. I wouldn't stress about it though. It's all about the cigarettes you don't smoke, not the ones you do. I vaped for 4 months on my little ego and evod tanks before I ever felt the need to upgrade. It's all about getting the best experience out of the equipment you have.
Ya bro for sure. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: yuseffuhler

Lucas.Vapaholic

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria,BC, Canada
Yes, and I feel for you. On day 4 of vaping/not smoking, I had a major panic attack that had been building. It was one of the dissociative ones and lasted for almost 4 hours. I thought I was going crazy, and I had 24mg juice at the time. I couldn't seen to find the right balance. Looking back, I probably should have been a dual user at first. Best of luck to you.
Thanks! Ya I actually bought mini cigars and am smoking like 2 a day to help keep the anxiety down. But I'm going to up my juice strength also!

Reactions: issy

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

YOu may want to try different combinations of nic levels.

I don't have panic, or anxiety, but closest i ever came to that was when I first started vaping and was told to use 18mg or 24mg and I was literally starting to HAVE anxiety attacks.

Once I dropped to 12mg I was fine.

For you it may be different. Best to keep a few different levels around and see what works for you? Maybe try vaping high nic in stresssful moments, see if it helps. If not try the opposite (what I did).

Or keep a few different ones around to experiment with.

Also, make SURE you are taking a magnesium supplement. And vitamin D. Magnesium improved my relaxation, as well as my sleep. So many people are magnesium deficient........and it causes a LOT of problems.

Soemtimees the simplest things are what work best. DO not use the magnesium oxide or citrate ( causes loose stools) and thse are the cheapo kinds and not as absorbable. I was AMAZED at how much better I felt when I started taking magnesium.
Good article here:
Understanding Different Types of Magnesium | Dr Nibber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread