Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
I need one of the battery guru's to help with a question I have about protected batteries. I have been told that a protected battery just means that it won't overcharge and the way to test if a battery is protected is to put it on a charger for 10 days. A protected battery will be fine and an unprotected battery will be dead? I am thinking that an unprotected battery will explode? I have been going back and forth about a battery that I don't think is protected, yet the supplier claims it is. There is no visible protection circuit on this battery, but the supplier claims that this is a new kind of protection that doesn't use a circuit board. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
The battery is a CR123, actually a LR123A which is basically the same as the CR123A. Brand name is GTL. I am thinking the same thing about the supplier, but wouldn't have put it quite as nicely:) Is there such a thing as a protected battery without a circuit board at the negative end? There is for sure no board at the end of the battery!

Last edited:

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
So lets see. You have a battery that does not say protected, or have any kind of mention of a circuit on it. And there doesn't appear to be any protection circuit, but the guy who sold it to you says it's protected, but in a new way that you can't see, and it isn't written anywhere? Umm, I call .........

To top it off, this ..... says to leave it on the charger for 10 days?????
Who is the supplier, so no one else deals with this human pile of steaming dung. (Being from NY originally, I just call em as I see em).

Edit - Was this from Ebay?

Last edited:

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah.. I agree with Duzit.... nobody test a battery by leaving it on charger for ten days.... we do have modern technology to dictate what is and is not protected. and if the battery was protected or not... UL specs for all batteries worldwide dictates that they have list on the battery.. its voltage/ amps /and if it is a specialized battery that has to be protected.. that has to be listed on the battery as well. If it is not.. It is not suppose to be sold in the states.

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
Yes, it was a seller on ebay. I am not buying his protection and would not even think of leaving a battery on a charger for 10 days! As I am not up on all the latest tech. I figured maybe someone else here would know if it was possible to have a protected battery that does not show a special circuit at the negative end of the battery. I also have not seen a protected battery that does not state it on the battery itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread