Battery safety Atlantis mod newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

maninblackufo

Feb 6, 2015
texas
Hello! I'm a new poster here, and just had a quick question.
I bought some new batteries, the " samsung ICR 18650-26f SDI 2dc2". Is it ok/ safe to use these batteries with:

Aspire CF mod (i believe it's regulated)
Hammer mod clone
Or tobeco knight clone?

20150206_140529.jpg

I use nautilus, nautilus minis, and atlantis tanks. I just recently stepped up from easy combos like vision spinners and minis to the atlantis and sub ohm batteries/ mods. I read the battery thread, but it didn't quite answer my question. There is a thread on the offical aspire atlantis forum with a similar question, but the response seems automated and vague. Thanks in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I meant the actual Aspire website forum seemed an automated response from Aspire.

Last edited:

mackditty

Feb 6, 2015
Dayton ohio
what was the response on the official page? ive seen my brother use pink samsung batteries with his aspire CF, but im not 100% sure, because they didnt look as pink as your batteries. i know he uses a samsung purple 18650, as far as safe, im not sure.

what are your worries exactly? ive always just thrown any battery in where it fits, but im also like you. other tank SVD and MVP, ive only ever used vision spinners and spinner 2. (i found a site selling them for like 15$).

personally i would just try it but i could break a steel ball. just curious, what exactly could happen if you put this in and fire it? worst case scenerio?

maninblackufo

Feb 6, 2015
texas
After reading the battery beginers guide on ECF, and seeing the pictures of the guy who's mod exploded in his hand; i am worried the battery isnt right for the any of the mods and could turn my mod into a pipebomb. Then bye bye my face :-(

The offical response was something like, "thanks for your interest in aspire please buy more stuff. You are special to us."

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
I wouldn't use them. In general, ICR batteries aren't considered "safer chemistry", unlike IMR or hybrid. On top of that, this website lists the maximum current as 5.2A. With a mechanical-like mod (which I believe the CF is), the amperage from a fresh battery would be 4.2/0.5 = 8.4 amps with a 0.5 ohm coil.

I use Samsung batteries, but they're hybrid (safer chemistry) 25R's with a 20A CDR, which would be fine for your purposes. Check Baditude's blog for more details, and only buy from reputable vendors, like RTDvapor, Illumination Supply, Lighthound, or Orbtronic, to name a few. I used Orbtronic and liked them a lot.

It's a bummer about the batteries, but if they're protected, they would still be fine in a 15W mod like a VTR or something like that. Live and learn, I'm sure you won't be burned again! :)

amtseung

Sep 22, 2014
California
That's a pretty funny response from Aspire IMO. They're probably just trying to say "don't worry about it".

Give that BVC coils are typically something like 1.6 or 1.8 ohms, just by following Ohm's Law, you'd get 4.2V x I (variable) = 1.6, so I = 2.6A or so. Your Samsungs are, I believe, 25A rated, so you're perfectly fine. If you're using a subohm coil like the 0.5 ohms version, you're still only demanding 4.2V/0.5ohms, which is like 8.4 amps.

Pipe bombs are created when the mod can't properly vent (like a lot of clones, but can be fixed with a hand drill or drill press), and you run a coil that demands more amperage than the battery can handle, creating excessive heat, and potentially shorting the battery from the inside out. I don't think anyone can do that with a pre-built coil unless something goes horribly wrong.

mackditty

Feb 6, 2015
Dayton ohio
i will go ahead and thank you guys for the replies as well. i had no idea that something as simple as the wrong battery could be dangerous, i still have a lot of reading to do i guess lol. its sad the manufactures are not worried enough to supply this info and you have to rely on a vendor or a forum to help you choose something as simple as a battery (discountvapers has a whole disclaimer for this mod!).

this is exactly the style of mod i like, sort of a pen type but larger, and a great price. OP, what sort of tank will you be using on this? ive heard that the nautilus doesnt even work, does anyone know if thats true?

hooplah101

Jan 21, 2015
Denton, TX, 76209
I don't believe that my CF Mod is regulated, I believe its just a mech with a fancy button that works as an on off switch. That being said I use steam-engine.org to check out all battery specs, I find that for $10 I can get efest 3100 mah 20 amp high drains that work like champs, last forever and are safe. $10 for my hand and face is kinda a no brainer. Good luck!

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread