Beginning Kanger Rebuilds

Status
Not open for further replies.

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
Hey all

Sorry if this is the wrong board for this, but I looked around and this looked like the most appropriate place.
I want to start rebuilding my Kanger attys for the T3S and EVOD, but I have very little idea where to start. I've been vaping at 1.8 mostly, and I tried repurposing some unused 2.4 coils with limited success.

My setup-
-Ego-C VV battery
-KangerTech T3S and EVOD
-100% VG juice (I know pure VG is bad for wicks, so I just ordered a small sample of 80/20 to see how I like it, might go 50/50 if that doesn't work for me)

Once I get the actual rebuild down I'm going to try cheesecloth wicks, and if that doesn't work I'll go back to silica. But for what I want to build, 1.8 and/or 2.4 ohm coils, what type of wire should I get? I mean specifically, brand, size, hell even a good supplier. If the cheesecloth doesn't work, what size silica wick for my build?

A lot of these questions are probably going to be answered with personal preference, but I'm clueless at the moment so any starting info is appreciated.

Cheers

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
I just started and using 30 awg a1 kanthal if I do a 6/5 wrap around a 1/16th drill bit I get 1.8/1.9. I just use q tip cotton though

I've heard toothpicks, nails, and screws, never considered using a drill bit. I probably have one of those too.
How long do the kanthals usually last you? Do you rewick or just rebuild the whole thing when done?

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
I've heard toothpicks, nails, and screws, never considered using a drill bit. I probably have one of those too.
How long do the kanthals usually last you? Do you rewick or just rebuild the whole thing when done?

I literally just started yesterday lol. Itll depend on your juice though. And if you can get the wick out and in the coil will outlast the wick so just replace the wick. If your using cotton you can't dry burn so you kinda have to when you clean it. You can use kanthal or nichrome for wire nichrome is more resistant for the Guage and length used seems like most people use kanthal and I'm almost positive it's what your coils come with

Gotta say it's waaay easier then I thought it'd be though first wick was kind of a pain the other ones have been a cake walk

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
Theres a link on the first page of this thread that goes a protank rebuild thread.

Thanks Njt07, I actually read through that thread before I started this one. That thread is a wealth of info, but it's not really what I was looking for. I was really looking for more advice on where to start with wire and wick, the different brands/types/gauges and what other members success has been with them.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Thanks Njt07, I actually read through that thread before I started this one. That thread is a wealth of info, but it's not really what I was looking for. I was really looking for more advice on where to start with wire and wick, the different brands/types/gauges and what other members success has been with them.

Ah ok, sorry. Not an expert. Ive been using 32, 30, and 28 gauge with peaches and cream yarn for my RDAs and today with my protank.

Heres my personal experiences, so not universal.

My sweet spot for most things on a regulated mod is 30 gauge kanthal. A 5/6 wrap on a 14 gauge needle comes out to about 1.5-1.6 ohms and heats up quickly on regulated mods.

I like 28 gauge for my reo, mech mod, a 6/7 wrap around a 14 gauge needle comes out about 1.2-1.3 ohms.

I use peaches and cream cause it fits perfectly into a coil made with the 14 gauge needle and takes all the guess work out of the equation.

I bought my wire off of ebay, kanthal A1
And the yarn from walmart.

Does that help?

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
sorta repeating what most have said already...

seems most people use 32 & 30 gauge Kanthal A-1 Resistance Wire
- Kanthal Wire 32 Gauge RW0098 - 250 FT 0.62oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG

then for wick, there is 100% cotton yarn,
- http://www.kmart.com/sugar-n-cream-yarn-white/p-021V004761464000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4
- http://www.peachesandcreme.com/assets/files/yarn-files/01005c-l.jpg
then another for wick,
- Eko Wool 2mm Hollow Core | Silica Wicks
- Silica Wick 3mm | Silica Wicks

sometimes these come in darn handy;
- Soldering Helping Hands-Chaney Elecronics

maybe you have a fav www site, have a look there and see what they might have...

good luck

:)

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
Wow, I can't thank you both enough, this is a great place to start.
The one question that jumps out at me is the number of wraps vs the resistance. The wire that comes stock in my kanger 1.8 attys is a six wrap (6 on top, 5 on bottom). I don't have a resistance meter yet but I'm assuming they're all around 1.8 as advertised, I guess I'm wondering how to manipulate the numbers. Does a higher or lower gauge kanthal produce a higher resistance with fewer wraps, or is it the diameter of the wraps themselves that change the resistance?

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Wow, I can't thank you both enough, this is a great place to start.
The one question that jumps out at me is the number of wraps vs the resistance. The wire that comes stock in my kanger 1.8 attys is a six wrap (6 on top, 5 on bottom). I don't have a resistance meter yet but I'm assuming they're all around 1.8 as advertised, I guess I'm wondering how to manipulate the numbers. Does a higher or lower gauge kanthal produce a higher resistance with fewer wraps, or is it the diameter of the wraps themselves that change the resistance?

Thinner wire has higher resistance, thicker opposite. The length of the wire and thickness of the wire determine the resistance of your coils. A 3/4 coil that is 2" long will be the same resistance as a 5/6 wrap of the same 2" wire, given the wires are the same gauge.

livethechoice

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
See here => http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/396220-kanger-protank-rebuild-33.html#post9844874

It only took 323 posts before someone put up a thorough and detailed "how to" without any assumptions. :rolleyes:

Rickajho, you are the man. I wish I had seen this before tonight but life managed to get in the way and I've been too distracted to devote much time to this project.

Anyway I picked up some materials and I must have messed up. I'm using 28g Kanthal A1 and a small nail (about the width of a toothpick). The width of the coils is perfect from checking with factory coils, but 28g is not working for me. The most coils I can get without touching the edges of the housing is 9, and just barely, but I'm testing the resistance and I can't get more than 1.1 ohms out of it. Do I need to up the gauge to 30, or 32? I'm trying to get a resistance of 1.8-2.0 because that's seemed to work the best with my cheesecloth wicks and juice.

Is there any way to cheat the resistance, maybe larger coils, to get what I'm after, or is a higher gauge the only way? I'd hate to have to wait to keep rebuilding, let alone know that I wasted good money on 28g wire I'm never going to use.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
I use 32 gauge Kanthal, bought it for about $5 for 100' at TEMco industrial power. For wick, I've been using cotton butcher's twine (boiled first), which is fairly thick so I remove two stands and save them for the flavor wick. I use a 4-40 machine screw, wrapping the wire along the threads and it gives me a perfect coil every time. 5 wraps (5/4) gives me 2.1 - 2.2 ohms very consistently.

I highly recommend the machine screw, makes the coils perfectly spaced, no hot spots, and the coil is big enough that I can pull the used wick out by removing a couple of strands first, then dry burn the coil. To stick a new wick back though, I wet it with a little bit of vodka and twist one end so it'll go back through the coil easily. First few puffs taste weird, then the flavor comes through and I'm good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread