Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Heylo,

Im sorry I had to make a thread about this. I've thoroughly searched de googliez (which I'm strong advocate for before starting a thread), as well as this forum and I cannot figure it out. I've been working on it for three days, about 2 hours a day and I just can't get the freaking thing to work.

I've tried my Stillare, Magma, Patriot (1 Authentic and 1 Clone), 2 different Tobh Atty V2 clones, Plume Veil, and kayfun and not a single one will fire. I know it's just not making contact, but no matter what I do, I can't make it make contact.

Can someone please help me figure this out? It's one of the fasttech 4Nine clones, no idea whether it's Infinite, hcigar, or EHPro... I found another thread of someone with the same issue that was never resolved, and I posted in there but no one replied.

Here are some photo's:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I know it recommends button tops (I don't own any :/) but I've seen plenty of others using flat tops. I make sure the battery is 'floating' from the repulsion of the magnets. It came with an extra magnet so I used that to shorten the throw and see if it would make contact, but nothing. The three tubes it came with are all needed to accommodate an 18650 so there's no way I could take one off.

I feel like I've tried everything and am getting discouraged. Any help or advice anyone can offer will be massively appreciated.

Thank you you for taking the time to read and respond to this thread.

~ Cullin Kin

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Uh...flip the magnet...just in case you had it the wrong way....

If I flip the magnet (black ring that attaches to the battery) the switch and the magnet attract. I actually just got it to fire accidentally with the switch jammed into the bottom diagonally lol. But it was constantly firing and we don't want that.

Here's a couple more photos. With the Stillare, the contact protrudes enough from the cap that the battery can make contact but still nothing.

image.jpg image.jpg

With everything in there, I know the throw of the switch is short enough that everything seems to be touching, but maybe not. I don't know. This thing is driving me nuts lol.

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Okay, I made some progress. I took this little extra magnet out:

image.jpg

And now it's at least finally working, but the switch throw is incredibly long and often gets jammed. Now the question is, why would that make any difference without the extra magnet in there?

Edit: Upon closer inspection, if you look at the photo of the little extra magnet closely, there was a tiny little chip out of the magnet. Would this be why it wasn't working with that in there?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Yes/No
Chip could effect the magnet as a magnet, but that is all.
Your problem seems to be that the Magnet is coated and Not conducting current.
Try taking the Magnet to a Hobby Shop to match a replacement(size)

You have just spent the time and energy to Prove why people need to own multimeters and learn to use them.

*Note: what you purchased, everyone is jokingly calling the 5Two Mod

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
My guess is the wrapper on the bottom of the battery is creating enough gap to break your connection. You can carefully trim the wrapper off the bottom by sliding a razor blade across only the bottom. Don't remove any from the sides. Or find a small magnet thats smaller than the hole in the wrapper on the bottom of the battery. A battery spacer will work as long as its not resting on the plastic wrap. Use the 4nine switch normally.

Last edited:

derogg

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Socal
WIthout that extra magnet and a flat top cell, your throw will be long.....maybe too long. On my 4nine, I had to remove the magnet from the switch and reset it straight. It was pressed in at an angle. Also make sure there is not factory glue causing a lack of contact. Make sure the magnet/delrin assembly that contacts the bottom of your cell is making good contact to the battery itself ( the magnet is actually making contact with the battery bottom).
This mod can be very tempermental to get to work, as you have noticed. Once you figure it out it is great and reliable IMO. I hope you get it figured out soon.
- Dirk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The problem is the 4NINE mod requires using button-top batteries.

Using magnets or other items to convert a flat top battery to a button-top battery is NOT ADVISEABLE and considered to be a bad practice.

Do the correct thing and buy button-top batteries. AW IMR batteries are my recommendation. Purchase from a trusted authorized vendor like RTD Vapor and not from Ebay/Amazon as there are a lot of counterfeit AW batteries being sold. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/568840-sure-your-aw-batteries-genuine-how-tell.html

AW IMR 18650.jpg

The AW 18650 IMR 2000 mah battery has a 10 amp continuous rating.

The AW 18650 IMR 1600 mah battery has a 24 amp continuous rating.

Battery Basics for Mods

Last edited:

PhatRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Cumming, GA, USA
The magnet is threaded in that little black delrin housing piece. If you unscrew it a counter clockwise so there is a little gap between the bottom of the battery and the black delrin it might fix your problem. Try to see if it will fire then and keep adjusting until it does. That's what I had to do with mine and I checked that there was a full connection by using my multimeter's positive probe on the top of the battery and the negative probe on the mod itself.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Yes/No
Chip could effect the magnet as a magnet, but that is all.
Your problem seems to be that the Magnet is coated and Not conducting current.
Try taking the Magnet to a Hobby Shop to match a replacement(size)

You have just spent the time and energy to Prove why people need to own multimeters and learn to use them.

*Note: what you purchased, everyone is jokingly calling the 5Two Mod

Yeah, I knew the chip in the magnet couldn't effect anything too much. Could the multi-meter have told me exactly where the break in the transfer was occurring? I mean, I already knew it was getting broken somewhere but I would have never expected it to be the extra magnet that everyone uses in theirs... I mean, in all the reviews online and on YouTube, and posts on this site, I think everyone uses the extra magnet. Weird. Thanks for your input though, I currently don't have the budget for a multimeter.

The 5Two huh? lol It does seem a lot longer than it should be! You think that any hobby shop should have these magnets?

Baditude - Thanks buddy. I know the 4Nine needs button tops but I just wanted to try it anyway. I mean, it was only $17 so it wouldn't have been that big of a deal if I couldn't get it to work. I just saw a lot of other people using flat tops and thought I would give it a try. They wouldn't have helped in my case anyways, the magnet was basically stopping the completion of a full connection. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thanks to everyone else as well for taking the time to respond. Beware, if you order the 4Nine style mod from FastTech the extra magnet may have a coating and a chip in it and you will not be able to get it to work! lol

The hybrid connector freaks me out anyways. I've seen a lot of things go wrong with mods with hybrid connections and I don't know if I trust it enough to use this mod daily anyways. I'm just one of those people who needs to solve a problem before I put it down lol.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
The problem is the 4NINE mod requires using button-top batteries.

Using magnets or other items to convert a flat top battery to a button-top battery is NOT ADVISEABLE and considered to be a bad practice.

Do the correct thing and buy button-top batteries. AW IMR batteries are my recommendation. Purchase from a trusted authorized vendor like RTD Vapor and not from Ebay/Amazon as there are a lot of counterfeit AW batteries being sold. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-sure-your-aw-batteries-genuine-how-tell.html

View attachment 364889

The AW 18650 IMR 2000 mah battery has a 10 amp continuous rating.

The AW 18650 IMR 1600 mah battery has a 24 amp continuous rating.

Battery Basics for Mods

Unfortunately your missing information on the 4Nine.
Actual 4Nine is 49mm in short mode
Some Clones are 49mm in short mode
Some Clones(Even claiming 1:1) are 52mm
Included Extra Magnets are for the Negative side(spacers)

18650 mode
Normal 4Nine is 79mm
some 4Nine's are 82mm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original 4Nine had no Delrin in hybrid top - Had to use Button tops or may easily short.
Top was Modified to include Delrin spacer on battery side with 510 thread opening reducing chances of Shorting.

4Nine 49mm units can use Both Button top, for short 510 atomizers and Flat top for longer 510 atomizers.
The length of the Atomizer dictates battery requirement as a short 510 may not clear the Delrin ring and a button top is the only way to contact. (Think P2.5)
A longer 510 reduces available space and may cause auto firing unless a Flat top is used.

ALL 52mm versions of the 4Nine will need an added Magnetic Spacer(Negative Side) to use standard length batteries.
*A simple Safety Solution to avoid possible Displacement issues is to Place an O-ring around the Magnet.*
This cannot be done to make a Flat top into a button top!!!!
The o-ring would strike the Delrin plate preventing contact.
Buy a Button Top if needed.

*** This information is based off personal use of a 49mm(18350 mode) 4Nine***
Standard Kayfun Lite units(mine) Require Button top as the 510 pin is flush to the Delrin and will misfire using flat tops.
Magma and TOBH, having longer 510's require flat tops to prevent auto firing.

Be Smart
Vape Safe
Know your gear
:)

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You need to use nipple top batteries... but there is a workaround!! :)

put the remaining magnet on top of the battery thus creating a "nipple top" battery, it will make contact and shorten the throw, that is the way I use mine

this picture is to give the general idea
mXRX4VXEsSVERgIsZ70SwKQ.jpg

Not recommended - Due to the fact the 4Nine has a Floating Battery. Only held by the repelling magnets. A hard drop, even on a carpeted floor could eject the magnets to the side and short the + side of the battery to the Mod Tube.

I also have work arounds. Some I do not share due to inherent safety concerns.:)

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
You need to use nipple top batteries... but there is a workaround!! :)

put the remaining magnet on top of the battery thus creating a "nipple top" battery, it will make contact and shorten the throw, that is the way I use mine

this picture is to give the general idea
mXRX4VXEsSVERgIsZ70SwKQ.jpg

The included magnet on mine was actually preventing a good connection, or even any connection at all. I thought about doing this and tried it, but the problem was the extra magnet itself so it, sadly, did not work. lol I think it has some sort of coating on it that does not conduct electricity, or maybe the little tiny chip in the magnet has altered the electrical transmitting capability of the magnet (I don't think this is the case). I truly have no idea, it just seems weird to me they would include a non-conductive magnet...

druno17

Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
Dallas, TX
The raised copper rings around the magnets in both the switch and delrin battery piece need to touch for the mod to fire, if the magnet is raised they will not contact and not fire. Also the black delrin battery piece can't be too high, need that copper ring to stick out a bit. I put the delrin piece on my battery and then "screw" it down until the delrin is snug on the battery and the copper ring is sticking out a bit. Hope that makes sense.

I had a 4nine clone where it appeared to have too much glue under one side of the magnet in the switch and would not fire because the magnet stuck up over the copper ring, I had to take the magnet out, clean all the glue and replace the magnet to where it sits below the copper ring. Works beautifully now. I use VTC5's btw, never had an issue, they work flawlessly..

Edit to add: mine is not an infinite clone, so I don't have/need an extra magnet. So my post may be irrelevant, sorry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread