Choosing a new box mod..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Hi everyone.

I have been vaping for half a year with my istick 30w (my first and only vw mod).
So far I have no complaint to it, but I want to buy a good, reliable mod.

My budget is around $80; however, since my istick is still working fine, I can wait and save up more if necessary.
I have two tanks and one dripper, and I only use higher wattage (around 25w) with my dripper.
I don’t think I will do sub-ohm (at least not in near future), so I believe 40w will be more than enough for my need.
Since I am not in a hurry, I don’t mind getting things from FT or focal. But I still prefer buying from seller in the U.S..

To sum up, here are my preferences:
Spring loaded center pin (or at least adjustable)
A mod that I can change battery
More than 30w output, but higher than 40w is not necessary (I won’t say no, just not a requirement)
A smaller mod for my small hand, would be nice if it is pocket friendly like the istick 30w

I find a mod that fit my desire perfectly (sort of), but it is too expensive and I really need a lot of time to save up some money for it..
Hana V4S DNA 40 ($200)

Right now, in the list (sorry… I know the list is too long):
IPV Mini II 70W ($60)
Innokin Coolfire IV 40W ($40)
SmokTech XPro M50 50W ($50)
Sigelei 75W ($75)
Sigelei 50W Vr2 ($70)
SXK Vapor Flask Style 60W ($70. But I vape with my left hand, a bad choice?)
SXK Nebula 60W ($64)
Simeiyue SMY 60W ($75)
ZERO Modz Styled 60W ($60)

I know some of the mod in the list are actually bad choice, but I don't have enough information to decide which one is better and which one is not...
Or.. has I missed a mod that should be in the list?

Thanks for the help.

goofy2302

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Ipv mini, sigelei 75w are all worth the price...if you shop around ipv mini can be had for 50...
Coolfire iv is a solid choice too and ergonomic...
My opinion. ...with the market the way it is right now....save your money and wait for the offerings from innokin and hana fro TC...if not save above 150 and invest in a DNA 40 VS...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
If you don't think you'll go over 40w and are interested in TC Vapor Shark had their DNA 40 for $100. The drawback for most is the battery isn't user replaceable it's kinda built in like the istick. Users that are comfortable around a soldering iron can replace them or VS offers a $25 replacement service when needed. IPV 4 100w TC mod's can be had reasonable I bought one a month ago for $69 to my door. My Sigelei 150w was $64 to my door. Look around the net for deals they're everywhere find coupon codes at sites like vapingcheap. I backed off of temp. control it's evolving quickly and I'm going to wait for the technology to stabilize before I buy again. I did really did like my DNA 40 and the IPV 4 the IPV just a little more cause I could drop my super tank on at .2 and fire at 75w.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kangertech SUBOX Kit with KBOX Mini and Subtank Mini - Black

Defender 50w Coming Soon

Defender 50W is a 'pre-order' from Gearbest and you can get the Subox for less in China.

Defender 50w Best Deals + Free Shipping | GearBest.com

The Defender 50W is only slightly wider than the Defender shown here with the Invader mini on the left and the istick 30W on the right.

DSCN1183k.jpg photo - kentc photos at pbase.com
DSCN1184k.jpg photo - kentc photos at pbase.com

Here's the Kanger Subox in the middle with the istick 50W on the left and the Defender 25W on the right.

DSCN1195k.jpg photo - kentc photos at pbase.com

No spring loaded pin on the Subox. (although the Subtank fits perfectly as do others). Spring loaded on the Defender 50W.

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you for the replies.

I am very interested in the IVP Mini II and I know its chip is made by one of the best manufacturer in the market (Yihi).
The only problem, which is totally not a big deal for me (for now), is it does not have the tc option.

For the MVP 3.0, according to PBusardo's review, it seems to be not a very accurate device..
Plus it is a little (just a little) too big for my taste.

I have no idea the defender has 50w (I know there is a 30w version).
I know the invader (from PBusardo's review) is a very solid mod, so I believe the defender should be as accurate as the invader.
On the other hand, I don't know why, but I cannot like the subbox...

Something not 100% related to the topic:
I believe we are in the middle of a vaping revolution (temp. control) and I believe the development of its basic technology/theory is not finished yet (still has room to improve/stabilize tc's performance).
That's why I am willing to wait for some time to see how the tc's development goes (also give me more time to save more for a better mod).

Maybe I asked this question a little too soon, but I do want to know what should I target for my next vw mod.

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
Something not 100% related to the topic:
I believe we are in the middle of a vaping revolution (temp. control) and I believe the development of its basic technology/theory is not finished yet (still has room to improve/stabilize tc's performance).
That's why I am willing to wait for some time to see how the tc's development goes (also give me more time to save more for a better mod).

Maybe I asked this question a little too soon, but I do want to know what should I target for my next vw mod.
TC is still in it's infancy. I wanted to wait too but I got too curios and ordered a Kangxin mini VF.
I love it. If you want to wait until TC is "finished" I think that can take a long time. Even VW is still evolving more or less with higher power, less resistance etc.

The actual TC mods I work fine. I think the next generation which already started with the nickel purity option will be better. Another generation will allow us to use Kanthal in every topper.

If you want to try TC, do it. If you like the concept. Safe money again and get a newer gen mod. If you don't like it, stay with VW or maybe mech. Whatever works best for you.

Some TC mods wich aren't too expensive
VS DNA40 ($100)
VS rDNA40 ($130)
Kangxin mini VF ($50)
Heatvape Invader Mini ($60)
Hana One (DNA40 - $100)
And there are a lot of DNA40 "alikes" or clones (however you want to call them)

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like Sigelei is a brand I should consider..
Roxynoodle's opinions are always very useful for me.
Btw, I bought a Rose V2 and love it very much.:thumbs:

For the VF, I really like its design, but I heard people saying that it may not be comfortable for left handed and I vape with my left hand...

I know vapor shark makes some good mod, but I also heard people saying that Hana did a better job (with higher price).
If I am going to get a vapor shark ($130), I think it is better for me to save for a Hana V4S ($169 ~ 199).
Although it is not important, I like the new V4S's look better than the VS rDNA 40W...

For the clone thing, I know some of the clones have the Yihi chip (like the Zero Modz in the list), which is actually the same as (some say better) than the DNA chip.
But that is very hard for me (my knowledge is too limited) to find a good/reliable one...

TC is something I now paying attention to, but I cannot say if I will try it or not at this moment...
I have heard high temperature could make vaping dangerous and causing health problem because of the chemical reaction under strong heat..
That's why I feel uncomfortable going into sub-ohm vaping..
And that's also why I am holding my decision of should I try tc or not...

Reactions: roxynoodle

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I like the Zero clones, too. Its a nice form factor. And I have used my vf clone lefthanded, but it is more ergonomic righthanded.

I have had to make repairs to my clone mods. Well, some of them. At least Sigeleis work as they are and have a warranty, though I haven't needed it with my older 4, and hopefully won't with the new one.

:thumbs: on the Rose!

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Actually I don't feel 100% comfortable about the clone because returning it or repairing it can be a pain..
A mod is not a tank which contain electronic parts and has the potential to fail...
That's why I prefer to buy from a U.S. seller (at least it is easier to return the fail product).

At this moment, I am more interested in getting the Hana V4S than any other devices.
But the price is a huge problem for me and will take a long time for me to save in order to get one.

Sigeleis will be the brand I will pay attention to.
But at this point, I guess I should wait and save money for my next mod.
May be pulling my trigger until tc is more developed than now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread