Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoupdawhoop

May 7, 2015
I've been vaping for about 3 years now and only recently have I started messing with dippers. I'll get to the point though:
I've been messing with 22 gauge kanthal in a tr0ll rda and so far, without questioning it, I've been building based on two rules for large amounts of flavor and vapor: large diameters for faster wicking and lots of surface area.
so I tried building (with the 22g) a dual coil with 12 wraps on both sides. The flavor is phenomenal, but the amount of vapor hasn't changed to much and I've noticed people online doing 4-5 wraps with 22g and getting ridiculous clouds.
I can't seem to get my head around this concept entirely.
Is it the amount of coil that effects the heat up time? Do ohms effect heat up time or how hot it can get?
With less surface area and less heat up time wouldn't I be more prone to burn my wick because I'd be taking longer drags to get the amount of vapor I desire?

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I have been using 22AWG for quite a while now in RDAs, two 12 wrap coils is a massive amount of surface area, unless you are vaping at 200W you are not going to get a decent vape from it. The heat up time is just going to be too long (from cold coils).

Try reducing the wraps to 7 on each coil (7 is my sweet spot for 22AWG around 2-2.5mm), around 60-70W should be a nice cool vape for dual coils.

It seems to me that the people using 4-5wraps 22AWG for their coils are indeed charring their wicks when they vape, it is super hot (at least on a Mech) and there is no way that any wicking can keep up with them chain-vaping without the wick getting at least slightly burnt.
Maybe they are just happy to blow massive clouds and taste the slightly burnt flavour of adoration from their vaping buddies rather than actually tasting delicious e-liquid vapour.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    If you wrap the same wire, 3 times as many wraps, and give it 3 times the voltage, which will also be 3 times the power, it will heat up as fast and have the same heat flux. It will get a little hotter on long drags from heating up the whole RDA.

Thicker wire does have a higher mass to surface area ratio and takes a little longer to heat up, but in 95% of the cases where someone says xx heats up slower or faster, something more fundamental is also different.

If someone's running 4-5 wraps #22 they're probably not chain vaping, and are sure to always pull air through at high speed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread