Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A Beginner’s Guide To Vaping | Vape Revolution

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? Juice Delivery Devices

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder: Ecigs to Ego's to Mods

Before investing into any gear, I recommend doing some research first, consider the recommendations that members here will give you, and weigh all the factors together to see which setup will most likely be best for you.

Most novices want something that looks like, tastes like, and feels like a cigarette. Nothing really comes comes close to that in a small battery format; smaller batteries just don't have the horsepower to perform like a larger battery can. The sooner you can get over the "size" issue, the sooner you can find something that will meet your expectations for a satisfying vaping experience.

vaping is "different" from smoking. Similar, but different. Smoking is easy - light it up and go on your way. Using e-cigarettes requires planning ahead, charging batteries, filling juice devices, having juice available. You can't vape if one of those is missing, so backups are needed for everything you use.

vaping technique is different from smoking techique. Click on the "Info Zone" link at the top of the page to learn the basics of using an e-cigarette.

Last edited:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Most recommended kit on the Forum this year has to be the MVS kit:

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

Suggest two Spinners and two evods to start. The Protank II's are nice toppers, perhaps the best clearos on the market as of this writing, imho. Two iTaste 3.0's would be top of the line in the stick battery world, imho, again, as of this writing. After that, the APV's are very popular, and I'm speaking of battery changeable APV's. Of these, the iTaste 3.0 is the best stick (I know USB), the Vamo, the best value, the Sigelei V3/5, the best quality and appearance.....all, just my opinion and two cents, and all important on my journey. YMMV. Good luck on your VapeQuest, congratulation on making it to the Forum, welcome, power up and vape on!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi and welcome! Congratulations for taking your first steps toward being tobacco-free!

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about yourself, so we can give you useful suggestions. Things like: How much did/do you smoke? What did/do you smoke? What's your lifestyle like? I'm asking this because a nurse who can only have a quick vape break vs. a long haul trucker are going to have different needs. Do you like to fiddle around with things or do you like it simple? Have you got any impairments that might make certain things difficult - like the weight of a device, pressing buttons, dexterity problems? I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm prying, but we don't want to set you up with something that won't work for you.

EarlyBirdy

Oct 16, 2013
NC goldsboro
Hello and welcome.:toast: Might help to give some sort of direction as to what your looking for,like a cig or not, price range, what kind of flavor juices you might like, that sort of thing.

well thats my problem is i dont know enough to know what i want lol. I smoke camel silvers now, so i like smooth menthol. I'd like to not pay more than $60 on my first kit, until i know what i like. I do love variety so flavors almost anything, though when it comes to smokes i dont enjoy reds or filterless, i am a women so something that has a nice smell would be nice for a change. The model types such as traditional looking ones compared to the bulkier ones that look like a pipe coming out of a cigarette pack really depends on there funtionality which i dont know. Really i know i must sound silly but i really have no experience in these, though less bulky does sound better because i will have to carry it in my pocket no bags aloud at work and i am a mechanic so something durable plus where i am stationed currently gets very very hot.

ericm12121977

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Best advice is to find a local Brick & Mortar (B&M) store and go in and talk with them. They should be able to help you directly face to face and you will get some very helpful advice. These forums are great for finding what has worked for many and what has not worked. I would suggest a beginner Ego style battery with a cartomizer/tank setup because there is an ease of use to it and if you find the juice you like it makes it easy to vape on all day. You should be able to find some good setup's for the price range you are looking for.

Please understand that by going into a vapor store, you get the opportunity to meet other vaper's, you get to not feel wierd about it because you will be around other vaper's. You also get to sit down (hopefully they have a nice inviting bar area to sample juices) and spend some time getting to know the products, the juices, the setup's and also the people. Don't be afraid to ask questions because trust me we were all new and we were all apprehensive about asking questions that might be obvious to experienced vaper's but not to new vaper's.

As for advice on juice, remember to think in terms of what you would enjoy vaping all day. It might be appealing to jump onto that sweet juice because it is such a stark contrast from what you are used to, but think about it in terms of how it would taste vaping on all day. Many of us in the beginning jump onto the real sweet juices and don't think about the aspect of an all day vape. I would recommend also spending some extra money on a couple of juices and understand that you can blend the flavors to mellow one out. My wife blends/mixes her menthol burst with whatever flavor she is wanting to do. Right now she is on her menthol burst/sweet tart combo. But she has a new Irish creme coffee juice she is also vaping on.

Good luck and please keep in touch and let us all know how your journey goes. If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask any of us.

Happy Vaping!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Something pocket-friendly.
Something durable.
A kit costing less than $60.

Now we're getting somewhere. :)

One of my favorite beginner kits to recommend is the Innokin iTaste MVP. You can see a video on this in the first link of my post above.

It's a built-to-be-durable mod about the size of a large cell phone, and would be more durable than an Ego battery kit. It is small and durable enough to fit in a front pocket (this is what I did with mine). It doesn't look like something from a head shop or a lady's toy. I think it looks sophisticated and classy. It has a powerful built-in rechargeable battery which can last 2 - 3 days on a charge (this is huge plus), and can be used while charging.

Works just as well for home as well as when out of the house. It has adjustable voltage which helps fine tune the vapor to whatever flavor you use. The kit comes with the charging cable and includes an iClear clearomizer for a juice attachment. Only $50. Innokin MVP - iTaste Starter Kit - AltSmoke

Innokin_iTaste_MVP.jpg MVP V2.jpg

Last edited:

chansen

Oct 15, 2013
Farnborough, UK
Hey buddy,

In my opinion, nothing beats trying out the real thing, especially when it comes to flavors. Most of the shops or marketeers dealing in vape stuff are 'converts' themselves and have an instinctive urge to pull you from the 'dark side'. It may seem a bit cynical to try out all the goods only to go back home and order it on line, but thats a conscience thing... you could just bite the bullet and buy a low end eGo/CE4 kit (usually around $20) if you feel they have delivered good advice and you have found your favorite setup, or just be honest and tell them what you are after and that you may need a bit of time to think it over.

There may not be a shop carrying ecigs in Goldboro, but there does seem to be a few within reasonable distance. Google Maps is your friend ;o) Try http://maps.google.com/?q=electronic+cigarettes+loc:+Goldsboro,+NC

Good luck B-|

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
You don't sound silly! We all started where you are. I think it's good to start with concepts. You aren't going to quit smoking as much as you are going to find something you like better. You will definitely smell nicer - that's a no brainer ;) - and there are more flavors to try than you can imagine. √√ Got those covered.

In the beginning many people say they want something cigarette-sized, because it's familiar and they feel uncomfortable with the idea of larger devices. Some are capable of getting off of tobacco using what we call "cig-a-likes," but many have a rough time with it. The battery life is short, so they are always charging and even charged there's not a lot of power. Would you be comfortable with something the size of a Sharpie pen?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
There is a store in Goldsboro, but they don't sell online, so I can't tell about their prices.

Alter Vapes

602 S. Elm Street Suite A, Greensboro, NC 27406
Opening Times:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11am - 8pm
* Closed on Sunday and Monday

The are quite a few vape shops in NC, compared to my state anyway, but it doesn't look like any new you. Here's a link to store listings. ECF has one too, but I'm not sure where is is on the site.

Electric Cigarette|Eliquid|Supplies|Electronic Cigarette|Ejuice|Smokeless|Vapor Search USA

There really isn't anything like being able to hold the different devices in your hands and have someone explain how to use them, but the price is higher.

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
Trying the flavors out in person is really the only way to tell what you may like or hate. I was a strong menthol smoker and don't like any tobacco or smoke flavor at all in my vape.

Don't put a limit on yourself that if you buy the vaping gear--you must give up cigarettes.

To keep the startup cost down, try one of the better disposables or cheap refillables but realize that there are many, many more flavors and much better vapor producing equipment. I originally plopped down $100 for a starter kit but that was more than 4 years ago and I hated it! The technology just wasn't there yet.

3 months ago, my brother-in-law showed up with a Spinner and EVOD head and could produce as much vapor with less effort than drawing on a cigarette. I was intrigued enough to try again. His choice in flavors was worse than a gas station disposable display but I could definitely see how better flavors could work for me. 2 days later I was google mapping all the vapor shops in the St. Louis metro area until I found a nice one with friendly staff to help me choose my startup set--2 Ego-c Twists, 1 EVOD head, 1 iClear 16 head, charger, a couple extra coils for the EVOD, 1 30ml bottle of menthol and 1 30ml bottle of Apple Cinnamon. I also stopped & bought 2 packs of my favorite smokes. I still have 1 of those packs of smokes. Not sure I can find it but I know I have it somewhere!

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Thank you everyone that really helps... sadly I cant go to an actual store I'm deployed and E-CIGs are banned off base. I will have everything shipped here so I need cartridges that will last awhile so im not spending a fortune on shipping. Any brands you can suggest for that? how about flavors?

OK. Took me a while to figure out what you were saying. You're in a country where e-cigs aren't available.

Would there be a problem getting these shipped in? Is it different if they ship from the US vs. from somewhere else (i.e. China)?

As far as what to recommend, I would recommend that you start with something that has variable voltage (vv). Perhaps an ego twist, a spinner, or an ITaste V3.0 (my favorite). Many juices taste much different at different voltages, and this will give you the ability to try to tweak them to your liking.

You also talk about "cartridges" that will last a long time; most here don't use cartomizers (at least not straight). Instead, there are clearomizers (like the Iclear16 or the Evod) which are basically small tanks you fill up with liquid. You buy the e-liquid separately. (There are other kinds of options as well, like carto tanks and drippers, but don't want to cram too much detail in here!)

Don't know if ordering from FastTech would be a problem for you (Hong Kong, they are slow on delivery but have good prices and free shipping). If you do, I would recommend the Hangsen Juicy Peach as a flavor (along with your batt and heads!). But everyone has favorites, and one person will love a flavor that someone else will hate!

If you would be ordering from the US, there are lots of vendors, look around. Also make sure to search for coupon codes which can save you a bit! Many vendors will do free shipping, but only on a larger order (i.e. over $50). Also many US vendors won't ship "overseas" but I'm not sure if this includes APO addresses. In any case, I'd certainly e-mail a vendor and ask if they have special deals for active-duty service!

brian.tpa

Sep 13, 2013
Tampa area, FLA
Hey. I go to a local shop called innevape. I love their stuff. I feel like a marketing rep for them on here. lol. I'm not. I just think its the best liquid I've found. Any ego style battery will be good and a clearomizer with whatever juice you like. With this attempt to quit smoking I started out with "mystic" ecigs from walmart. they kind of did the trick. Once I tried the juice with the ego style batt and tank (clearomizer) that was it for me. Now I've upgraded to a ego twist battery and iClear 16 clearomizer. Its nice yo. If you have time do a few google searches on the kits, check the ego twist starter kits. I'm not sure where a good place shop for one online except the shop I mentioned. I'd stay away from cartomizers. They are too expensive to keep going. Once you get a good setup its not so expensive for liquid to refill. The ego twist batteries are known to be very long lasting. I've seen some extremely weathered and working after 4 years (not mine). I hope this helps. I'm not a pro or anything, i'm just a novice ecig user. Good luck. Peace.

Last edited:

samcm010

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ashburn Virginia USA
Something pocket-friendly.
Something durable.
A kit costng less than $60.

Now we're getting somewhere. :)

One of my favorite beginner kits to recommend is the Innokin iTaste MVP. You can see a video on this in the first link of my post above.

It's a built-to-be-durable mod about the size of a large cell phone, and would be more durable than an Ego battery kit. It is small and durable enough to fit in a front pocket (this is what I did with mine). It doesn't look like something from a head shop or a lady's toy. I think it looks sophisticated and classy. It has a powerful built-in rechargeable battery which can last 2 - 3 days on a charge (this is huge plus), and can be used while charging.

Works just as well for home as well as when out of the house. It has adjustable voltage which helps fine tune the vapor to whatever flavor you use. The kit comes with the charging cable and includes an iClear clearomizer for a juice attachment. Only $50. Innokin MVP - iTaste Starter Kit - AltSmoke

View attachment 262395 View attachment 262396

Totally agree I wish I had bought this kit early on it would have saved me much money. I thought it was to big and I didnt want a box. Now it is one of my go to Mods and I have several more expensive. This kit also have everything you need minus juice. It is about the size of an Iphone and needs no external charger or batteries.

thatwierdguy

Oct 12, 2013
Minneapolis
Hey folks! This is my first posting here, and I'm quite new to quality e-cigs. I had one of those disposable "e-hookas" about a year ago, and have been mulling over the idea of getting a "real" e-cig/PV for a couple months or so. I began my "diligent research" here, as a guest, plus another few places. BTW, thank's for all the free info you all! About a week later I ended up ordering from discountvapers: an EVOD starter kit, 2 smoktech ARO's and a Protank II. Then I took advantage of High Desert Vapes 40% off e-liquids sale, which I should be receiving in a day or two. Last night I went to a local shop last night to get something to satisfy my "I've gotta get something to vape with my kit!" urges, ended up with a straight menthol, a basic tobacco and a whiskey/tobacco. So far so good. I am kind of trying to get off of my strong non-filter analogs, but will probably still smoke pipes and cigars, as well as use Swedish snus and nasal snuff (even though it grosses some people out)... at any rate, good to meet you all and I'm glad to be somewhere to soak up some wisdom and information :)

WelshVapour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
wales, UK
Hi all.

Just to throw my 2 cents in as a relatively new vape'r myself, I myself in total over the last 5 months since quitting have had 2 quite cheap starter kits that I personally began to find lacking until I upgraded to the Innokin MVP 2.0, this thing is fantastic and would be my recommendation, however I would bear in mind that I have nowhere near as much experience as most of these guys but it is worth a look at the MVP in my opinion.

When you make the jump to a kit expect to become hungry, for vaping knowledge.

Can't get enough of the whole thing!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread