DHHS funded Moffitt Cancer Center survey found 79% of vapers quit smoking, BUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
NIH/NIDA funded 2013 Moffitt Cancer Center online survey of 1815 adult vapers (who had a history of daily cigarette smoking, and had smoked for at least a year) finds:

- 79% had completely quit smoking cigarettes

- 1% smoked last cigarette >5 years ago

- 23% smoked last cigarette 1-5 years ago

- 20% smoked last cigarette 6-12 months ago

- 34% smoked last cigarette 1-6 months ago

- 95% were daily vapers

- 29% vaped >20 times per day

- 40% vaped 10-20 times per day

- 30% vaped 1-10 times per day

- 83% vaped non tobacco flavorings

- 17% vaped tobacco flavoring

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306460315300174

BUT the authors buried all of these important findings in a table (Table 2), and failed to discus or mention any of these findings in the text or abstract of the study.

To obtain the full text of this study for free, go to
Addictive Behaviors | Vol 52, Pgs 1-126, (January 2016) | ScienceDirect.com
then scroll down and click on the title or PDF of the study
"Gender differences in use and expectancies of e-cigarette users: Online survey results"

At the end of August 2013, Moffitt began the online survey
Moffitt Cancer Center: Moffitt Cancer Center Researchers Want to Talk To E-Cigarette Users
with many vapers at ECF participating in the survey (and recruiting others to do so) at
TBO.com : Moffitt researchers want to hear from e-cigarette users

In the summer of 2015, Moffitt announced they received a $3.6 million grant from NIH to conduct this study at
Moffitt Cancer Center: Moffitt Cancer Center Receives $3.6 Million Grant to Study E-Cigarettes

According to Moffitt Cancer Center, this (gender differences among vapers) is the first e-cigarette study authored or coauthored by the study's Prinicpal Investigator Thomas Brandon
Moffitt Cancer Center: Moffitt Cancer Center: Thomas H. Brandon

So why am I exposing these survey results (instead of the folks at Moffitt who received $3.6 million from NIH and conducted the study)?

And why did Moffitt researchers wait two years, and then bury their findings in a data table of an article that focused exclusively on gender differences found in their survey?

And why didn't Moffitt Cancer Center issue a press release announcing these survey results?

I strongly suspect the answer to all of those questions is because the study results refute Obama's DHHS 7 year old propaganda campaigning demonizing e-cigs, and contradict the policy goal of DHHS for FDA to ban e-cigarettes.

This appear to be yet another example of federally funded researchers not wanting to bite the hand that feeds them (and that could feed them very well for many more years).

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
BUT the authors buried all of these important findings in a table (Table 2), and failed to discus or mention any of these findings in the text or abstract of the study.

If they continue to get money for studies and don't fudge them, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more similar results that get buried for the reasons you mention. For this type of study, it's a fairly good sampling.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
If they continue to get money for studies and don't fudge them, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more similar results that get buried for the reasons you mention. For this type of study, it's a fairly good sampling.

Virtually all DHHS agencies and at least 100 recipients of DHHS funding have been misrepresenting their own studies findings (on vaping) and burying the data since 2009.

Its all part of DHHS's lobbying campaign to ban e-cigs.

I just discovered this new study yesterday, and I'm trying to generate some news stories. Unfortunately, most news reporters (who are quick to repeat false and misleading claims written by DHHS and their funding recipients in press releases) are not interested in reporting actual findings of e-cig surveys.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Long long ago in a place far far away I was a dumbass 20 something year old kid being a self appointed gad fly for a cause relating to state energy policy. A Michigan based 501c3 funded by State agencies and public utilities got a contract from the FEA to study the concept of an "energy center" where there would be a very large concentration of coal and nuclear power plants. To get money for this project the 501c3 had to sign a contract with the FEA. That contract included provisions that there must be certain public disclosures, public meetings, etc. For reasons I won't go into here those parts of the contract were violated. If I had understood what was done at the time I could have gotten some important people in some trouble.

So why did I tell that story? Because this study you are describing was funded by the Federal government. There is a contract. It's available via the FOIA. May be we'd like to have a look at that contract to see if any of the provisions were violated. May be this study should have ben released some time back. If they missed some deadlines because the findings are not in step with the government propaganda campaign that's a news story.

Last edited:

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
NIH/NIDA funded 2013 Moffitt Cancer Center online survey of 1815 adult vapers (who had a history of daily cigarette smoking, and had smoked for at least a year) finds:

- 79% had completely quit smoking cigarettes

- 1% smoked last cigarette >5 years ago

- 23% smoked last cigarette 1-5 years ago

- 20% smoked last cigarette 6-12 months ago

- 34% smoked last cigarette 1-6 months ago

- 95% were daily vapers

- 29% vaped >20 times per day

- 40% vaped 10-20 times per day

- 30% vaped 1-10 times per day

- 83% vaped non tobacco flavorings

- 17% vaped tobacco flavoring

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306460315300174

To obtain the full text of this study for free, go to
Addictive Behaviors | Vol 52, Pgs 1-126, (January 2016) | ScienceDirect.com
then scroll down and click on the title or PDF of the study
"Gender differences in use and expectancies of e-cigarette users: Online survey results"

At the end of August 2013, Moffitt began the online survey
Moffitt Cancer Center: Moffitt Cancer Center Researchers Want to Talk To E-Cigarette Users
with many vapers at ECF participating in the survey (and recruiting others to do so) at
TBO.com : Moffitt researchers want to hear from e-cigarette users

In the summer of 2015, Moffitt announced they received a $3.6 million grant from NIH to conduct this study at
Moffitt Cancer Center: Moffitt Cancer Center Receives $3.6 Million Grant to Study E-Cigarettes

According to Moffitt Cancer Center, this (gender differences among vapers) is the first e-cigarette study authored or coauthored by the study's Prinicpal Investigator Thomas Brandon
Moffitt Cancer Center: Moffitt Cancer Center: Thomas H. Brandon

So why am I exposing these survey results (instead of the folks at Moffitt who received $3.6 million from NIH and conducted the study)?

And why did Moffitt researchers wait two years, and then bury their findings in a data table of an article that focused exclusively on gender differences found in their survey?

And why didn't Moffitt Cancer Center issue a press release announcing these survey results?

I strongly suspect the answer to all of those questions is because the study results refute Obama's DHHS 7 year old propaganda campaigning demonizing e-cigs, and contradict the policy goal of DHHS for FDA to ban e-cigarettes.

This appear to be yet another example of federally funded researchers not wanting to bite the hand that feeds them (and that could feed them very well for many more years).

How will we ever get ahead of these horrible liars?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The only way is to get the mainstream media on our side.
I'm not going to offer comment with respect to the odds of that ever happening.

People quit buying their magazines - many went bankrupt and are close to bankruptcy. Not watching msm or going to their websites would be a way to starve them of the money they need to exist. Changing the minds of the people who patronize them is another way but much harder.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread