Status
Not open for further replies.

nampla

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
prachinburi, thailand/phx,az
The ex wife.

We have been divorced for 20 yrs and remain to this day great friends. :toast:

Our oldest son text'd me this am that she was, as the title states, diagnosed w/ COPD.
She turns 57 this month and has been cig smoking I would guess would be going on at least 20 + years.
Dont know how many packs a day.

So,
I ordered her a Kanger EVOD starter kit from Desert Vapes today since they are local and hopefully will get it tomorrow.
She dosent know I know and that I have ordered this for her. I was at her house a few days ago and was showing it to her and she seemed very interested.
She's a RN by the way...

Any thoughts from others who might have experience in COPD and using a eciggy? Has it helped? etc, etc....

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
sigh, good luck,,,,I'm sorry to hear this about your ex-wife.

My MIL has cancer and COPD, and frankly, it's the COPD that's going to kill her,,,,I tried for months to get her onto e-cigs. No go,,,,,

she finally did quit, though,,,,,,,,,,just because she can't take 2 puffs of cigarettes and breathe any more,,,,,

I know I've seen a few people with COPD here, though, who are doing very very well on e-cigs, and I hope they chime in :)

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I helped a friend's aunt who suffers from COPD and still couldn't get off the Parliaments. Although she always wishes for something that tastes just like them, she hasn't smoked in over two years.

If she really wants a cigarette taste, non menthol, I'd get her some Halo Torque56. It's the closest thing I've found to that taste, and I keep it around for when I'm seriously wanting a smoke. About 10 puffs and I'm all set.

Good job helping another person get healthy!

Berner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Niskayuna,NY,USA
I have mild COPD and have been able to stop my inhaled bronchodilator since I switched from cigs to vaping. I no longer wheeze or get short of breath and it has only been 2 1/2 months for me. My cardiologist tells me that the pulmonary function improvements can be delayed, but I have noticed clear benefits already. Unfortunately some of the lung damage may be permanent especially in the emphysema type of COPD, so stopping the cigs ASAP is critical. Best wishes and good luck to your ex.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
My sister in law also has COPD along with many other reasons she needs to give up the smokes. She has never been able to. Now seeing that I have done it she is showing interest and I couldn't be happier. I am giving her a start up kit I have and taking her Saturday to a local vape shop that just opened to get her some juice she likes. I think your ex will have to want to for it to work. Best of luck to her and I hope she is soon smoke free. It can only get better from there.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
two of my local converts have COPD...
One was on oxygen 24/7 and still smoking. Her Dr was fully behind her switching to vaping but advised she go with higher PG juices. Now 6 weeks later he is amazed at the rebound she has had. Her inhalers are needed 1/2 as much already and he says she can cut down to oxygen while sleeping and only use it as needed during the day.
The other was not quite as advanced and has had a harder time switching completely...she has cut down on her inhaler use and says she feels better. We will find out how much her lung function has improved after her next appointment :)

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
two of my local converts have COPD...
One was on oxygen 24/7 and still smoking. Her Dr was fully behind her switching to vaping but advised she go with higher PG juices. Now 6 weeks later he is amazed at the rebound she has had. Her inhalers are needed 1/2 as much already and he says she can cut down to oxygen while sleeping and only use it as needed during the day.
The other was not quite as advanced and has had a harder time switching completely...she has cut down on her inhaler use and says she feels better. We will find out how much her lung function has improved after her next appointment :)

Do you know why the doctor suggested higher PG juices?

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
Do you know why the doctor suggested higher PG juices?
Yes actually as I went to her Dr with her to the appointment where it was discussed (I was the vapeing "expert" LOL but I did have studies and reports to give him) The Dr was concerned that a juice containing high VG may cause fluid to build in her lungs because they were compromised, but felt PG would assist in warding off infections. It seems he did look into the effects and felt comfortable as PG was used in inhalers and pumped into the air systems of the hospital where he worked for over 8 years.

So we went with his suggestion and she vapes 80/20 or 70/30 juices

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Yes actually as I went to her Dr with her to the appointment where it was discussed (I was the vapeing "expert" LOL but I did have studies and reports to give him) The Dr was concerned that a juice containing high VG may cause fluid to build in her lungs because they were compromised, but felt PG would assist in warding off infections. It seems he did look into the effects and felt comfortable as PG was used in inhalers and pumped into the air systems of the hospital where he worked for over 8 years.

So we went with his suggestion and she vapes 80/20 or 70/30 juices

Thanks! I will use this as I guide when I take my sister in law on Saturday.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
I have early onset COPD and vaping has made a huge difference. I actually climbed a flight of stairs without being winded today, after about 3 months. Blew me away! Give her a good starter rig and be supportive. Might want to point her here so she can see how it is working for other people. The hardest part is getting over the learning curve and the 'weirdness' of vaping in general. IT works! Best of luck to her and you.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
WOW, can't 'member givin' soooo many 'likes' in one thread dis early on!

Dere are many dramatic testimonies throughout da ECF as to COPD/emphysema/et al! As fer my history, just 'search 'Iffy' and 'x-rays'.

All I'll say at dis point is DON'T give up on dose ya care for or can assist! I know I'll not live forever. BUT, I DO know dat my remaining vapin' days will be of a grander quality than with 'bakky!!!
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread