DIY high VG juice flavor change

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipeslayer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Hey everybody, I have been making my own juice for awhile now and primarily do a 50/50 blend of VG/PG. The other week I had a wild hair and mixed up a batch of 70/30 VG/PG to try a different blend, and holy cow this is going badly. I do understand that VG takes awhile to steep vs using higher PG levels, but I had something weird happen. After a few days when I tested my juice (I am quite impatient, and like to see how the mix is steeping) it was tasting quite nice with very good blend and such - I was excited! Today I busted a bottle out and attempted to try some again (approximately 1.5 weeks after initial mix) and I can taste this one flavor in all of the juices, what I presume to be the VG. All of that initial flavor that was coming through nicely has disappeared, and now I am left with this mediocre flavor that I hate. What has me confused is why I had an initial spike in flavor, but then a total drop off. I was under the impression that generally longer steep time = better results, but I haven't heard of flavor peaking and then dropping off. For the tastings I used the same type of cotton that I always have, same coil, same RDA, same wattage.

To clarify for anyone who wishes to know: juice is TFA, nicotine and VG/PG is from NudeNicotine. The bottles are glass, with glass droppers that were thoroughly cleaned prior to use. The mix received an initial steep in a hot water bath and left in a dark, cool drawer with the lids on while periodically being shaken like a baby I didn't like every day until tested.

The mix:

100mg Nic: 1.2mL (4%)
PG: 7.29mL (30%)
VG: 17.01mL(70%)
Blueberry: 1.5mL (5%)
Blackberry: 1.5mL (5%)
Pomegranate: 1.5mL (5%)

I have made this mix numerous times at 50/50 and had quite wonderful results. It is one of my personal favorites - to make feel free to mix it and let me know what you think. This time it has just come out badly, and I want to figure out why so that I may correct my mistakes for future mixes.

Just to clarify, I do understand that VG doesn't mix as well as PG and there is longer steep time required. My question is primarily about why the flavor profile was good, then went badly. Is this mix done for and needs to be redone as I have done my others? Thanks for any assistance with this!

TL;DR: High VG mix came out tasting nice after a few days, tastes horrible after a week and a half.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Not sure what it could be honestly, but I've got five max VG DIY mixes in my rotation and most of them are 80VG/20PG or even higher in VG and I have experienced nothing like what you are. My mixes are pretty tasty initially and only get better with steep time, one of my mixes has been steeping for two months and only continues to improve with age, I'm adding NO PG other than what is in my flavors, even my 100mg Nicotine is in VG. That would seem to debunk the "VG doesn't mix well" farce that goes around routinely.

Perphaps take a step back, rebuild the device you're testing on, clean it with alcohol or what have you and taste again? I've run in to some instances where residue on my hands got into a fresh wick and made the first dozen or so pulls taste very strange, not sure what sort of setup you use for taste testing so I could be way off.

snipeslayer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Perphaps take a step back, rebuild the device you're testing on, clean it with alcohol or what have you and taste again? I've run in to some instances where residue on my hands got into a fresh wick and made the first dozen or so pulls taste very strange, not sure what sort of setup you use for taste testing so I could be way off.

Interestingly enough the first test was done on cotton that needed to be changed, and this test was performed on cotton that was fresher, yet broken in. I know that EXACT scenario you are speaking of with fresh cotton. That taste is quite specific and I usually juice and burn it for a few before even trying a juice on fresh cotton to avoid it. My setup is IPV2 with a Mutation X @ 0.6ohm 30-35W, or Sigelei 100W Plus with Infinite CLT @ 0.7ohm 30-40W. That is my nice comfortable vape range that I generally run 24/7. Hope that helps to get this situation solved - because I am lost. I will attempt a thorough cleaning and re-taste the juices and see what changes. Thank you for your input!

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
Tastes change to smalls degrees from day to day. I find this especially true in e-juice. I've mixed juices that were very good but when I went back, I wondered what I thought was so great about it originally. I have one juice that seems to lessen in flavor over time and have no explanation. I think some flavors peak at different rates. I invested a little cash in some mini drippers from fasttech some time ago for the purpose of tasting and try to use 2 for each juice until it's right. One is the control of the original mix day and the second is for follow ups. I change the cotton on follow up days. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread