Do you have kids?? What do they think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtybutts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
West Point, New York
Just wondering how many of you have children and what do they think about your pv? My son is to small to have an opinon on it but my daughter who is almost 7 thinks it is the best thing ever for me..(not in the sense that she wants to use one herself) she is just proud of me for not smoking real cigs anymore and tells everyone she can about my (space cig). I am also wondering if many of you use them around your children..I admit that I do but its not like I am blowing vapor in their faces or flaunting the behavior to them and I even cleared it with their pediatrician and he was thrilled at the thought of them no longer being exposed to second hand smoke..I never smoked around them but it stays on your clothes and skin. Anywho..just curious about the rest of you.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
My kids are grown and miles away. My non-smoking son is ambivalent...his first question was how long until I quit the PV, too. My daughter, another nonsmoker, on the other hand, thinks it's wonderful. She's always thrilled to hear about what flavors I'm playing with (loves the ideas of cake batter) and on hearing about a potential FDA ban, offered to get me an early Christmas present by helping me stock up on stuff. I can't be sure, but I think my dogs are happy about it, too. I should give them a real treat and vape bacon for a day.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
Both of my sons (17 and 13) knew me from the start as a smoker.

Before they even hit the D.A.R.E. age, I let them know it was a bad habit and they should hound me anytime they saw me with one in my face - I did not smoke in the car or house.

So, when I had finally had it with analogs and started vaping, they were both thrilled and giving me the high 5's and asking all kinds of questions about it. I told them it was a step in the right direction and that over time, I'd hope to reduce the nic strength and eventually quit.

They still ask me how I'm doing, how long it's been and if I've "lowered" my strength or usage.

I do vape in the house but like you, try and keep the location and direction away from them. Other than a few flavors that smelled bad to them, neither of them notice I'm doing it. Only the dogs look at me funny when I get a good cloud going :D

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
More positivity here - I have a 19, 17 and 13 yo, and each of them is just thrilled that my husband and I quit. The only one who shows a little too much interest is the 13yo - I do honestly think I have to watch her, because A) I think she'd be the one out of the three to try smoking, and B) she's a little too fascinated by the whole process. Additionally, when you hear Mom talking about how basically the nicotine is not much more harmful than caffeine - well, she's the one who will someday say "What, you let me drink Frappuccinos!"

I'm taking the same tack I take with alcohol - it's legal for adults, not kids, etc. But to be blunt, it feels hypocritical to say "don't do it even when you turn 18!" because aside from the addiction factor, I haven't been shown enough proof of nicotine harm to be too worried about it. BUT, I'm worried. make sense?

markmcs

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
New York City, USA
Just wondering how many of you have children and what do they think about your pv? My son is to small to have an opinon on it but my daughter who is almost 7 thinks it is the best thing ever for me..(not in the sense that she wants to use one herself) she is just proud of me for not smoking real cigs anymore and tells everyone she can about my (space cig). I am also wondering if many of you use them around your children..I admit that I do but its not like I am blowing vapor in their faces or flaunting the behavior to them and I even cleared it with their pediatrician and he was thrilled at the thought of them no longer being exposed to second hand smoke..I never smoked around them but it stays on your clothes and skin. Anywho..just curious about the rest of you.

I didn't smoke near my 5 yr old (usually), but I do vape in front of him. He told me smoking is no good for me and 'claims' I said I would NEVER smoke again (which I probably did say, but don't want to remember!!)...Anyway, I showed him my ecig and explained it was a "fake" cigarette, so he's ok with it, but I still feel a little guilty using it in front of him. I would rather him not see me using anything at his age, but at least I don't send him back to his mom smelling like smoke, and I feel confident the vapor is not unhealthy for him.

Matodd

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
West Virginia
I'm taking the same tack I take with alcohol - it's legal for adults, not kids, etc. But to be blunt, it feels hypocritical to say "don't do it even when you turn 18!" because aside from the addiction factor, I haven't been shown enough proof of nicotine harm to be too worried about it. BUT, I'm worried. make sense?

I totally get what you mean. I have 3 kids and they are pretty stoked that mom quit smoking. My 14 yr old however has asked to try it. I know that he has tried smoking I don't approve but I can't be with him 24/7 so I keep up the "smoking is bad for you it's illegal for you to smoke mantra". I feel a little less hypocritical now that I'm not smoking. Bottom line though it's our job to discourage them no matter what we put in our mouths. Nicotine can be harmful it constricts the blood vessels and can lead to high blood pressure. I'm 33 and have to take vasodilators everyday for high blood pressure because I've been smoking for the last 13 yrs. Keep up the good work. Our jobs aren't easy and congrats on your success.

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
I totally get what you mean. I have 3 kids and they are pretty stoked that mom quit smoking. My 14 yr old however has asked to try it. I know that he has tried smoking I don't approve but I can't be with him 24/7 so I keep up the "smoking is bad for you it's illegal for you to smoke mantra". I feel a little less hypocritical now that I'm not smoking. Bottom line though it's our job to discourage them no matter what we put in our mouths. Nicotine can be harmful it constricts the blood vessels and can lead to high blood pressure. I'm 33 and have to take vasodilators everyday for high blood pressure because I've been smoking for the last 13 yrs. Keep up the good work. Our jobs aren't easy and congrats on your success.

Thanks, and to you too. You're right, though, it isn't easy, that's for sure.

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
My kids are grown and miles away. My non-smoking son is ambivalent...his first question was how long until I quit the PV, too. My daughter, another nonsmoker, on the other hand, thinks it's wonderful. She's always thrilled to hear about what flavors I'm playing with (loves the ideas of cake batter) and on hearing about a potential FDA ban, offered to get me an early Christmas present by helping me stock up on stuff. I can't be sure, but I think my dogs are happy about it, too. I should give them a real treat and vape bacon for a day.

My daughter is more like this (above), ambivalent. The grandkids still come home from school with the anti-smoking message (I'm glad for that) so they think smoke is smoking, I'm gonna die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread