Not open for further replies.

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
YES. It does. And it worsens the longer a person e-smokes. New research, not yet released, is showing phlegm might be the most significant danger of e-smoking. And it results from both PG and VG. No difference.

A film is apparently building in veteran e-smokers' lungs, causing an increased phlegm secretion. I'm experiencing it, as are others in tests lasting longer than a year. It's a serious concern and a nicotine carrier other than PG or VG is being sought.

Any cursory reading of PG's effects will show that it is an irritant. That's proving to be the case when inhaled 300 or more times a day by e-smokers. We were guinea pigs, and now some results are becoming known.

Well that Sucks. I know I have not successfully wished the sticky yuk away. So is it smokers phlegm versus pg/vg phlegm? Why do we have the decrease to begin with?

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
Well that Sucks. I know I have not successfully wished the sticky yuk away. So is it smokers phlegm versus pg/vg phlegm? Why do we have the decrease to begin with?
My theory is that the thick, heavy tar from smoking lines the interior of the lungs, thus inhibiting oxygen transfer and causing shortness of breath. vaping liquid condenses on the tar, mixes with it and loosens it, hence the much larger than normal amounts of yellow/brown phlegm coughed up in the first few weeks of vaping.

Once the tar has mostly gone, we feel great and experience much better breathing, clear sinuses and generally feel much better off.

Then the vaping liquids start to form their own deposits on the now clear surfaces, causing a much milder shortness of breath. In the short to medium term, the lungs seem to be able to cope with this and start to push out small amounts of a thin, clear e-phlegm. The longer term effects are still largely unknown although my emphysema is giving some warning signs and suggesting I proceed with caution.

MissVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
Vapin Hot Florida
YES. It does. And it worsens the longer a person e-smokes. New research, not yet released, is showing phlegm might be the most significant danger of e-smoking. And it results from both PG and VG. No difference.

A film is apparently building in veteran e-smokers' lungs, causing an increased phlegm secretion. I'm experiencing it, as are others in tests lasting longer than a year. It's a serious concern and a nicotine carrier other than PG or VG is being sought.

Any cursory reading of PG's effects will show that it is an irritant. That's proving to be the case when inhaled 300 or more times a day by e-smokers. We were guinea pigs, and now some results are becoming known.

Tropical Bob, that is very good to know..I have noticed some phlemn from VG almost instantly after I start vaping.. How do you know there is a film in esmokers lungs and not just in the throat? What kind of tests were performed? Where can I find out more info and results? I've been vaping for almots a year now and so Im concerned.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
MissVapor: As soon as the research results can be released, they will be. I was only notified of some preliminary results over the weekend (I still stay in touch with a number of researchers on e-smoking as a result of a story I did and had published in October 2008). I wish I could spell it out, but I was asked not to. As soon as I can ...

athlon14

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Yakima,Wa.

I have this problem,but very minor. 8 months in;)

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Tropical Bob--I hope you do not mind I posted these findings in another forum and stated it was your post from another forum. Just thought I should let you know as vapers in other communities (forums) should benefit from your knowledge. If I should refrain from doing so again in the future please advise me of this. Thanks again for your knowledge and passing it forward.

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
1 year with my ecig, 9 mo. no analogs. I have issues with this. I also have year around allergies, so kind of a double whammy. Choking on phlegm a lot and I'm on 3 meds to keep it cleared. I was having the issues while I smoked, but much more scarey, and not the clear kind. I use only unflavored vg, 24-30 mg., 2-3 ml. a day.
After 34 years of 2 packs a day, I guess I can deal with this. The only other lingering issue I have is acne. Wrinkles and acne at the same time is just not right! I think I am getting the acne under control with cosmetics. I'm just not ready to be done with smoking yet, so for me it's ecigs or analogs. I'm sticking with my ecig.

Reactions: Ann48

cpcp68

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2009
Knoxville, TN
After more than one year of vaping, I cannot say I get more phlegm at all. It is winter after all and my sinuses naturally do worse than in summer and I do have some in the morning. Overall, I think it is less than it used to be when I was a smoker (1-pack/day) and it definitely looks better. I will pay attention to what happens in summer when my respiratory system is usually completely clear.
Also, in July I am scheduled for a full physical and I am looking forward to see where my lung capacity will be.

SikVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2010
Cali

This has me concerned, anxiously awaiting the release of this study. I am interested in this "film" buildup you mention, as most of the stuff I've read about PG is that it is broken down fairly quickly by the body. In the Smokestik video, the UCLA chief of staff doctor said PG was broken down and just passed through the body. I am very new to vaping (less than a month in) and now I am hesitant to continue it, at least not everyday. Is there an estimated timeframe for which we can expect to see the results of this study?

Last edited:

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK

I am so glad to read this. Thank you, Tropical Bob, for posting it. This perhaps provides an explanation of my problems. I have failed to find evidence whether I ought to use PG or VG - both of which have been causing me horrendous clear mucus build up in the sinuses. I am often sleepless because I'm sniffing all night and trying to drain the stuff, which builds up again rapidly. I don't inhale vapour into the lungs, but exhale frequently through the nose.

I look forward to reading more about this and I earnestly hope there will be an answer. For now I may try to vape less frequently in the couple of hours before bedtime. No sinus medication has helped with this, and the mucus has often caused throat irritation as well. Sometimes hayfever antihistamine meds have helped reduce the irritation a bit, but not for long.

Of course I will never light a cigarette again, but I hope to be able to go on vaping with less discomfort, and thank goodness there is snus when things are too bad. :)

Best,

C.

I wonder if any medical expert has any tips on how to minimise this problem.

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Well I doubt it is cilia in my case - if so they have been growing more and more for a darn long time and ought to be ten foot long and prehensile by now, given the mucus volume.

;)

LOL... Actually they can take quite a long time to grow back, if at all. Same with the nasal cilia.., in which case, I don't wanna think about those visuals...:|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread