E-Cig for medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibb

May 14, 2009
I showed a friend over the Internet the e-cigs

He has diabetes since he is 5 years old and he must inject himself insulin twice a day.

He doesnt smoke of course but what was interesting about our chatting was that he said he could maybe refill the carts with insuline and use to take his medication.

I replied, well, if its liquid it could possible work but not sure.

And then he said that there is actually already vaporyzer already for insulin but its expensive and you take with a nasal device as it vapors to the lungs.

I dont see any diffence between that and smoking it.

His idea is pretty cool actually. I was wondering if this could work.

If its works he could smoke his insuline instead of injecting as an addon to regulate his injections, not as a replacement of course.

He had a bad experience as child, once the police took him when he was taking the insuline in a public bathroom as they thought he was injecting himself heroine.

If this works, this could be brilliant. He could not only start to smoke but actually it would be healthy for him. He could take his medication on a public place and people would not even look at him.

I researched this it seems its true. There is a way to breath insulin so this could maybe work on e-cigs carts refilled.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This has been discussed on the forum extensively before -- and it IS a good idea. Some medications could likely be incorporated into liquid for vaporzing. Some would be destroyed by heat, or ineffective at low concentrations.

But the bottom line is that nothing has been done in this direction because our devices and liquids come from China, not Big Pharmaceutical. There is even Big Pharma reluctance to create a swine flu vaccine because there might not enough money in it unless vaccination is somehow mandated (scary thought).

Much could be done to make e-liquid a health benefit, as well as a clean way to deliver nicotine to addicts.

I think you'll see it done in the future, after the present generation of e-smoking devices and liquids are banned, after the FDA finally approves an American inhaler like Philip Morris' Aria, after Big Pharma takes over nicotine distribution 100%. THEN you will see evolution of these products.

Each step must result in money for corporate interests and the government. Health benefits are not sufficient to cause action in this direction.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
This is really interesting. While surfing the net this morning I ran across a site that was selling vitamin enriched e-liquid. So it looks like maybe they are beginning to promote this. I think it would be great.

I wonder what would happen if I put liquid vitamin B into the e-liquid. But nah, I don't think so. I have to remember I'm pulling this stuff into my lungs and maybe that would be a bad idea.

Anybody?

nibb

May 14, 2009
Well i agree with it but I was thinking on more DIY way. Maybe putting the same stuff that is put on the normal vaporyzers could work, unless on combustion the mix goes wrong.

Im hope some liquid maker investigates this sometime since you have to know what reaction and how the thing mixes up with heat.

It also wonders me why arent any e-cigs made in the US.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Vitamin A, B and C e-liquids have been sold by E-Cig for many, many months. Some think it's a great idea; some think the vitamins are so destroyed by the heat of vaporization that any effect is a placebo one.

I've not seen tests on this, and don't expect to. This is more about sales than health.

I long ago suggested some herbs might be helpful to vape for e-smokers. No one seems to be offering an herbal line of liquids.

How about incorporating something to soothe throat soreness from drying it out? How about something to quiet cough from any vapor irritation? How about a vasodilator to contradict the vasoconstrictor effects of nicotine? The possibilities are wide open. Show the money, get the product. It's the way business works.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Interesting TB! I was in a small herbalist shop the other day to purchase glass dropper bottles and flavored Stevia. The same thing crossed my mind as I looked at all the remedies on their shelves, but the shop was busy and I didn't have time to chat much.

Here is a site that has an ailment search function which brings up herbal and homeopathic remedies. Natural Medicine, Herbal Remedies–Treatment of ADD ADHD Anxiety UTI and More

A liquid product for lung function that they have listed is BioVent Drops (Liquid). While it does contain an oil, I think that the amount you would use would be so small that it wouldn't be a huge concern (and you could always do a bit more atomizer maintenance/cleaning if you were using it). Here are the ingredients for BioVent:
Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) is widely used in holistic medicine to support the lungs and respiratory system. Active ingredients include volatile oil, flavonoids, valerianic acid, coumarins, tannins, salicylates and cyanogenic glycosides. Research has confirmed the benefits of Chamomile on respiratory functioning. (Yamada, K., Miura, T., Mimaki, Y., and Sashida, Y. “Effect of inhalation of chamomile oil vapour on plasma ACTH level in ovariectomized-rat under restriction stress”. Biol Pharm.Bull. 1996;19(9):1244-1246).
Huang Qi (Astragalus membranaceus) has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for many centuries as a natural rejuvenating tonic. Currently, much of the pharmacological research on Astragalus is focused on its benefits for the immune system (Wang DC. "Influence of Astragalus membranaceus (AM) polysaccharide FB on immunologic function of human periphery blood lymphocyte". Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi 1989;11:180-183). The main constituents of Astragalus membranaceus include polysaccharides, saponins, flavonoids and amino acids. (Bombardelli E, Pozzi R. "Polysaccharides with immunomodulating properties from Astragalus membranaceus and pharmaceutical compositions containing them". Eur pat 441278 A1;1994). Astragalus has also been studied for its ability to support lung health. (Niu HR, Lai ZH, Yuan L. “Observation on effect of supplementary treatment by Astragalus injection in treating senile pulmonary tuberculosis patients”. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 2001;21(5):349-350.)
Arsen alb. (6C) is a remedy made by extracting the ingredient from the crystalline mineral ore Arsenopyrite that is found in many countries of the Northern Hemisphere. People who respond to this remedy tend to feel worse in cold air and improve with warmth and heated drinks.
Phosphorus (C6) supports the respiratory system and promotes healthy oxygen intake.

How do I use BioVent Drops? BioVent Drops comes in easy to administer drop form and is diluted in about 1/4 glass of water or juice.

A note about herbs - like anything you are considering vaping, please fully research all of the ingredients and possible side effects! Discuss the use with your Doctor. Look for preparations without preservatives and if possible, artificial coloring. Your best product options should probably be a company that uses FDA and GMP pharmacutical manufacturing guidelines.

If anyone gives liquid herbs a go, I hope you'll report your findings in the Forum.

vader922

Jun 19, 2009
many vitamins are destroyed by heat..however, many herbs are smoked for medicinal benefits...just check out any of the legal herb sites and you will find some, but there are many, many other medicinal smokable herbs....just a few that come to mind that might work as an addition for flavor percentage if made into an alcohol or vegetable glycerine extraction. I actually make some extracts from both alcohol and vegetable glycerine already..

smokable herbs that can be made into extracts(and bought already made)

mullein, helps the lungs for smokers..good for congestion and soothing..I have smoked this on occasion for lungs
valerian/wild lettuce/damiana/salvia etc etc etc...some are calming, some are energizing, some have various medicinal values...

cayenne is a vasodilator if you can handle it..I use an extract of this for chest pain because it also is an expectorant...I would not inhale this one into my lungs, but it is absorbed from the mucus membranes inside the mouth...I rarely inhale the elquid anyway..it has been an adjustment for me, but I sort of let it roll around my throat without taking deep inhalations(very often lol)...just not convinced on the long term safety as much as I smoke and I know it is being absorbed in my mouth because I have noted a totally different ph in my urine when I vape a lot.....

I chain vape tho so often usually so normal smokers might not have any concerns lol....

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This is as good a place as any to note that I bought some mullein after reading posts here and researching the herb online and at my local library. No side effects! Leaves can be smoked by themselves to soothe and decongest lungs. So I bought a 30ml extract of mullein when shopping at my local health food store. The liquid contains vegetable glycerine, alcohol and water, in addition to the mullein extract. Perfect.

I put about 15 drops in a very small vial half full of 24mg e-liquid, then topped it with VG. I've been using it steadily for about four days. I don't jump to quick conclusions, so I can't say this will eliminate the occasional smoker's cough. But I'm impressed so far. No smell. No taste. A great substitute in home brews for pure water. I'll be using it in everything before long, and am transitioning now. No harm; possible benefits; why not?

P.S. Mullein is for cough and congestion.

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
Wife's a type1 diabetic been one for 15 years. They do make an inhalable insulin. Although its in a powder form - think asthma type inhaler. I do know liquid insulin such as humalog or humilin cannot be frozen or get to hot. Keep out of direct sunlight basically do not take above room temperature. Her doc said to think of liquid insulin as a protein like meat for example. Last good in a fridge but as soon as it gets warm it starts breaking down and degrading. Thats where your problem would lie. Now as far as the powdered insulin. The structure has probably been altered to turn it into essentially a solid. That would be worth looking into but it would only be sold to a diabetic in the inhaler itself. Just my ramblings and thoughts.

rustylug

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
www.bebo.com
This is as good a place as any to note that I bought some mullein after reading posts here and researching the herb online and at my local library. No side effects! Leaves can be smoked by themselves to soothe and decongest lungs. So I bought a 30ml extract of mullein when shopping at my local health food store. The liquid contains vegetable glycerine, alcohol and water, in addition to the mullein extract. Perfect.

I put about 15 drops in a very small vial half full of 24mg e-liquid, then topped it with VG. I've been using it steadily for about four days. I don't jump to quick conclusions, so I can't say this will eliminate the occasional smoker's cough. But I'm impressed so far. No smell. No taste. A great substitute in home brews for pure water. I'll be using it in everything before long, and am transitioning now. No harm; possible benefits; why not?

P.S. Mullein is for cough and congestion.

T/Bob .......Did you see my video post about hemp oil ...Also what are your thoughts about the videos if you did see them ...And could you vape it....The videos are on youtube ....running from the cure by Rick Simpson.

rustylug

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
www.bebo.com
Last edited:

sage0925

Jul 16, 2009
Idaho
Guys, I don't know about you, but most herbals are going to taste like vaping a moldy meadow. I can't see how you can even THINK about vaping valerian...egad...I have a hard enough time just drinking the tincture in a glass of water...it smells like sweaty socks that have been sitting in an unventilated gymbag for a year. Yuck!

The flowers might not be too bad, you can get glycerin tinctures at a heath food store...most of the glycerin tinctures have not been processed with alcohol.

And I've used stevia in my liquid with no ill effects...given the FDA's relationship with the sugar lobby, anything they have to say about stevia is suspect anyway. FDA has been trying to make it liiegal for years, with absolutely NO supporting evidence, other than the sugar lobbies want it out of the country for obvious reasons.

Sage, I love valerian, well, not the smell, but the effect. It's what I take when life gets to be a bit much. I REFUSE to go to the doctor and get anything stronger.

That being said, how safe would it be to vape? I'd really be scared of it. One, and probably the least of the problems that you might have with an herb such as this is you just might turn into a mellow zombie most of the time, LOL. But there are herbs such a lobelia that is absolutely wonderful for the lungs, yet if you take too much you can actually shut the lungs down!! Herbs can be as poisonous as nicotine if used improperly. Just because a herb might be good for the lungs, or the body doesn't mean it can be vaped.

YIKES

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
My experience with mullein has been positive (no side effects or taste shifts) but I can't say it's done anything noticeable to me. Maybe that's expecting too much. I do cough up phlegm, as mullein would initiate, but can't say I wouldn't do that without mullein in my e-liquid.

On another note: E-Cig now offers E-...... and E-Rimonabant. That's really pushing the envelope and tweaking the FDA's nose by selling these to Americans.

melder215

Mar 1, 2011
USA
i have grapefruit seed extract. it has saved me a fortune on antibiotics. you can mix it with water and use nasally. topically, and orally. it comes in vegetable glycerin. im gonna go see how it vaporizes of aluminum.
if anyone else tries this, remember how LITTLE you are supposed to use. it will injure your mouth if pure, and while i have used it pure in my nose with a q-tip, i dont know about inhaling vapors.
also, menthol. its good anyway. just minus out the nicotine.
what about kava kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread