E liquid flavor extraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this post doesn't really belong here, but with the 5 posts before being able to start a thread rule It's where it ended up, maybe someone with some insight will stumble upon it. The question I have is concerning natural extraction from for example fruits. I have made a NET juice previously and I assume that the process would have to be similar, but am at a loss as to where to start? I haven't been able to find any real information concerning this in my searches online, any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA, ECF.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
You can extract certain things like tobacco or tea in a PG or VG solution with varied results. It doesn't come out right very often even after months of steeping. I've looked into flavoring extracts in depth. It would be so expensive for you to extract a flavor let's say from a strawberry, that it would take you vaping the rest of your days to pay for 1/10th the cost of the equipment and make up the difference. Plus a master's degree in bio-chemistry wouldn't hurt. That's not an exaggeration. Flavorings are not simply steeped fruits. The oils must be removed as well as any residual pesticides. I thought it was a great idea at first but soon realized that it's MUCH safer to buy flavoring from a reputable manufacturer.

The problem I am running into is that many times the flavors I am looking for either aren't available from major flavoring manufacturers (TFA, FW or CAP, I won't mess with LorAnne, it's too concentrated and in my experience invariably yields poor results), or the flavor is far too weak to make a good mix out of. I run into the weak flavor issue with FW's flavors mostly, even at 20+% the blood orange flavor is just lackluster. I know it's not an issue of over flavoring either, I've mixed it everywhere from 7.5% to 20% and with varied, but similar results, it's just not good flavoring. Are there other flavor retailers I should be looking into sourcing that may have a better variety? Is there an easier way to work with natural flavor extracts and work from that direction? I know there are some organic juice lines on the market that must do so somehow, any idea on what to stay away from in extracts?

Another issue I have is some flavors are just really off... especially berry flavors, they always come of "perfumey" for lack of a better word outside of Cap's strawberry which is more of a compote type of flavor and is more of what I am looking for from a blueberry, blackberry and other berry flavors. Most berry flavors lack any body at all and it's frustrating.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
A lot of times, flavoring doesn't come out well if you're only using one flavor. You need to add depth and complimenting flavors to build a profile. For example, if you wanted a peach flavored vape, you might try the following flavors from TFA: Juicy Peach, Vanilla Swirl, and a touch of Sweetener... maybe even a bit of Sweet Cream. I have never been able to get a decent mix using only one flavor, but YMMV.

Reactions: CHEMTRAIL

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I do not know of any fruit there is not a flavoring for.
Gooseberry?
Nope found that one with google.

and I have serious doubts that an amateur could extract flavors that taste better than a professional flavoring company can. And this most definitely includes myself.

tobacco extraction may be an exception simply for getting the flavor you want.

Pegasus Vape

Unresolved Status
Jun 30, 2015
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Pegasus Vape

Unresolved Status
Jun 30, 2015
  • Deleted by classwife

Pegasus Vape

Unresolved Status
Jun 30, 2015
  • Deleted by classwife

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
As others have said, extracting flavors from fruits is a real challenge. Most of the fruit flavorings out there are artificial, for exactly that reason. Extracting from spices is considerably easier, but an ethanol extraction usually works much better than a PG extraction. For best results, something like a soxhlet extractor is often used, but this must be done with some care. (A soxhlet is a little bit like a coffee percolator, but not quite, since it constantly distills the solvent, so you're extracting with pure solvent and can therefore get pretty concentrated extracts). However, it's also a fire/explosion hazard if you're not familiar with how one works.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Another issue I have is some flavors are just really off... especially berry flavors, they always come of "perfumey" for lack of a better word outside of Cap's strawberry which is more of a compote type of flavor and is more of what I am looking for from a blueberry, blackberry and other berry flavors. Most berry flavors lack any body at all and it's frustrating.

I would suggest giving FlavourArt a try.

Their flavors tend to be much more natural tasting. In my experience a lot of the American flavoring companies such as TFA and Capella tend to make more candy flavors, so a strawberry tastes more like a strawberry Jolly Rancher than it does a real strawberry. FlavourArt is much closer to the real thing. They aren't perfect, but they're much better than anyone else I've found. Their flavors are also very high concentrates and rarely need more than 5% to get what you want out of them. Most of the time I'm only using 3% flavoring.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I am very interested in doing tobacco extracts but have had little success. Does anyone have any input regarding steep time, or expedited steep time for tobacco saturated PG? Also can I premix PG/VG ratio and then steep or completely leave out the VG until after ?
Try Flavor Concentrates, NO artificial ingredients and NO perfumy. Their blueberry is excellent, Strawberry is good but better if mixed with some cap sweet strawberry. Watermelon is an ADV for me. Not tried the blackberry. Their peach is good but better if mixed with some CAP{ juicy peach. As I said no aftertaste, perfumy, etc just good.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Every mango I have tried is horrible. Not tried CAP though.
I still have about 6 new CAP flavors to try :)

Yeah it is largely in the mix. Mango alone doesn't taste right as a vape, the sweet mango has kind of a smokey flavor to it that adds body but it still isn't good until the guava is in the mix. The Koolada is optional but I've been adding it to everything lately for the throat feel, without the koolada nothing tastes right to me anymore.

Cap has by far the best vanilla custard as well. The only thing that sucks about cap flavors is that they aren't as strong. I find that I use about twice as much Cap as I do any other flavor brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread