Status
Not open for further replies.

konsti123

Jul 24, 2015
Hello there,

I have an eGo style battery e-cigarette with a aspire atomizer. I recently replaced my entire ecig kit to virtually the same kit, because of safety concerns. My latter e-cigarette's battery was getting hot. It wasn't connected to the charger, but it was screwed together with the atomizer. Obviously, the media tries to hype up about batteries exploding and so on, so I'm still a bit worried. I disconnected the battery from the atomizer and took it outside on my terrace and nothing happened. After a day it cooled down, I pressed the power button and the lights didn't flash (I guess it is non-functional now). I didn't fiddle much longer with it, it's still lying there.

Now my new set, which I bought in a shop is basically the same batteries but slightly different. The former batteries were from EOS and the new ones look the same, but have no brand labelling on them.
batteries-jpg.474660

I reckon the new batteries have the label "5F" instead of "5E", but I'm not entirely sure.

Also the chargers have a slightly different configuration...
chargers-jpg.474661

...the new chargers have 500mA instead of the old 420mA.

The atomizers are also slightly different.
Old: Apsire BDC 1.8Ohms (3.0-5V)
New: Aspire BDC 1.8Ohms (4.2-5V)

My question: Are there any issues with the configuration and if so what are the safest configurations? I'm not using any of the old equipment now. Admittedly, the issue with the old battery may have also occurred due to lack of cleaning. I hardly cleaned my battery, however I'm doing this now.

I hope you can give me some feedback on this!
Thank you

Attachments

• Batteries.jpg
    Batteries.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Chargers.jpg
    Chargers.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 110

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Howdy, welcome to the forum.

In general Ego batteries are sort of looked at as an easily replaceable unit. They're by no means permanent or long term, and if I had to choose one device to last me a long time, it would certainly not be an Ego style battery. A big problem I've noticed is the mixed bag of quality in Ego devices. Some of them are great, the Vision Spinners for example, and last a surprisingly long time (year+, though I have read of some anomalous cases). On the other hand, some of the Ego-T's I've owned (back when Egos were pretty much the only option) were simply DOA and never took a charge or worked properly.

On top of that, the charging circuitry is sub-par at best in a lot of these, which is why a lot of people will tell you not to leave it charging overnight. They usually have shoddy (or non-existent) overcharge protection, meaning they don't actually cutoff or trickle charge once the battery is topped up. It just keeps pumping out the voltage.

For your specific setup, I don't see anything wrong. The change in atomizer isn't even an actual difference in the atomizer, just a difference in the recommended voltages they want you to apply. They likely decided that 3V wasn't enough to fully power a 1.8 ohm head, so they upped the recommendation.

The difference in charger shouldn't be a huge deal, as it's simply going from a .4A charger to a .5A charger. That's within the accepted range of charging speed for Ego devices. Going above 1A (ie: if the charger was 1000mA) can result in problems with Ego devices.

Overall, you should be good, but my [unfortunate] recommendation is that eventually you'll want to junk the Ego's for a more reliable/sturdy device. We'll gladly provide suggestions if you're interested.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Those eGo style batteries are non repairable. When they stop working, or start to get hot, you trash them and get another. There is no real danger with the gear you describe and picture, except your old battery, which should be properly disposed of. You may continue to use your old tank if you wish, and either atomizer. Both chargers should be good also. The 500 mAh one will probably charge your battery a bit faster is all. I can't honestly say there is no risk. Nothing in life is zero risk. And if you do something dumb, like stick a paperclip in the battery contacts and push the button, or hook up a deep subohm tank, you'll see some fireworks. But with the gear you're showing me, not likely. It could happen, technically. But so could being struck by lightning. With a winning lottery ticket in your pocket. Vape on, and don't worry. And welcome to the board.

konsti123

Jul 24, 2015
Thanks for the replies and reassurance on this issue.

Also I was using these old batteries for a year (or more) without much cleaning, I suspect that may have also caused some damage.

@ nyddle: It would be nice to see some recommendations for any future devices I may buy. Also, you've mentioned about charging overnight. I always charged my old batteries overnight. How long do you recommend charging them?

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about you battery issues. I used a stick style vision spinner when I started vaping and it was a little difficult to use as it had a short battery life and took a long time to charge. I was an over-nighter too. I don't like telling folks that they should spend even more money on equipment, but if you plan on vaping for an undetermined time, you may consider an istick 30 watt battery. It's very simple and small and allows a greater range of options. It's also inexpensive and has over charge protection all for around $30. I just bought a new one for my wife from VapeNW and we had it in 2 days. You did the right thing by posting your issues with the battery and you're on the right track. Keep being smart and Vape on. :)

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
+1 on the iStick or something similar. You can get one for about the same $ you would pay for that eGo battery you just bought. And the will be more future-proof when you decide to upgrade your tank later. As far as how long to charge, there is a lil light n the charger that turns green when it's done. Don't leave it on there after the light is green. Also recommend a back up. Get another battery to use when that one is charging or it breaks.

Reactions: WonderDude32

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
@ nyddle: It would be nice to see some recommendations for any future devices I may buy. Also, you've mentioned about charging overnight. I always charged my old batteries overnight. How long do you recommend charging them?

Only as long as they need to be charged.

Given the low quality of the chips in Ego's/the poor overcharge protection, it's possible a "nasty situation" could occur while charging, and if you were asleep or out of the house.. Well, let's just not lay out the nasty situation so nobody has to knock on wood.

Most cases of Ego's catching fire/causing a fire/generally getting too hot for comfort occur during charging. In fact, odds are, your battery was damaged while charging and it wasn't until you began using it that it displayed symptoms of overcharging. Lastly, a year is way longer than I'd expect a standard Ego-style device like this to last.

In terms of new things to check out, the iStick 30W/40W TC/50W is a great choice to go to. Excellent battery life, good quality build, fantastically affordable pricepoint, convenient and easy-to-hold form factor. As I said, Vision Spinners are a highly-praised Ego-style battery (if you want to keep the form factor similar). There are also the Nanchaku Ego-style devices which seem pretty well received (can't say I've used one myself). The Kanger Kbox has been working pretty well for a lot of people, but it doesn't include an internal battery so you'll need to buy an 18650/charger -- it's a bit of a step up. Also the Innokin iTastes are pretty nice from what I know. Similar form factor to an Ego but a bit more battery life. Then of course, big change in form factor, you can check out the Innokin MVP2/MVP3. I can vouch for the MVP2 as being one of the most convenient/reliable/easy-to-use mods of all time, it was my first major upgrade from an Ego-style device.

Hope that helps without bombarding you with new devices to research.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread