Status
Not open for further replies.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
What equipment are you using? Did you let your eliquid steep at all?

I don't DIY, I am not in a position to start right now. Eventually, I hope to be able to DIY at least some of our eliquids. I do know, however, that certain flavors that I buy premixed from various trusted vendors (creamy/custards/some bakery) really benefit from steeping for various amounts of time to allow the flavors to develop, at least as far as my daughter and I are concerned.

When we switched from cigalikes to Evods last year, we had to adjust our pg/vg levels. With cigalikes, pg levels anywhere from 100% to 65% were fine, and we really enjoyed the vape. With the Evods, we found that we needed to lower the pg since the vape was much harsher for us with higher pg. We are now using 50/50 pg/vg for the most part, with some 70 vg/30 pg eliquids. My daughter vapes at 18 mg nicotine, and I use 12.

Good advice given to get your 5 posts in and check the DIY forum.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I do DIY. I would tend to agree with the steeping. What flavors are you currently using? What is your total flavoring percentage? For example if you are mixing 10% strawberry, 10% blueberry and 5% Ethyl Maltol, then your total flavoring percentage is 25% (flavors chosen randomly). If you are using PG based flavor concentrates and your eliquid calculator isn't accounting for this then your PG/VG ratio will be quite offset.

I always find juices a bit dry for the first day or so(i steep the old fashioned way, cool, dark room). I dont have any recommendation for the nic, i dont use it in my juices.

Joshuajmedhurst

Jul 22, 2015
Kent
I do DIY. I would tend to agree with the steeping. What flavors are you currently using? What is your total flavoring percentage? For example if you are mixing 10% strawberry, 10% blueberry and 5% Ethyl Maltol, then your total flavoring percentage is 25% (flavors chosen randomly). If you are using PG based flavor concentrates and your eliquid calculator isn't accounting for this then your PG/VG ratio will be quite offset.

I always find juices a bit dry for the first day or so(i steep the old fashioned way, cool, dark room). I dont have any recommendation for the nic, i dont use it in my juices.

I'm using a istick 50w with an eleaf melo sub tank.. mixing dessert flavours and my total flavour adds up to 20%. Also my calculator does take in to account my flavours are pg based.. I do steep but think they need longer.. I have not used any additives.. but not sure what ones to use

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Try reducing the total flavor percentages. Some people(myself included) prefer lower quantities of concentrates. There are 2 ways of doing this...

1: The easy way, enter your recipe at lets say 20ml, then if you want to reduce your percentages to go with a 15% rather than a 20% total, add 10ml extra of your preferred base(nic included)

2: The also easy way, lets say your total percentage is 20% and you want 15%,then 15/20 = .75 Multiply each percentage by .75....For example:
Strawberry 10% (x 0.75 = 7.5%)
Blueberry 9% (x 0.75 = 6.75%)
etc.....

Then enter your new percentages in your calculator.

I find that higher levels of concentrates tend to dry out my tongue, but some people have that same issue with PG and some with VG...keep toying around with it and you will find the trigger for you and you will have an idea of what to do!

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Well i only really use ethyl maltol as an additive on some of my flavors, its a really good sweetener and i add it with all other flavors. Its best to use additives in very small quantities though, 10:1 ratio of flavor 1 to additive. To get a feel for how much to use additives try making 10ml batches of single flavor plus additive to see what ratios work for you

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have mixed a few liquids at pg/vg 50/50 5mg nic and find them to be a bit dry/harsh any ideas??

I'm using a istick 50w with an eleaf melo sub tank.. mixing dessert flavours and my total flavour adds up to 20%. Also my calculator does take in to account my flavours are pg based.. I do steep but think they need longer.. I have not used any additives.. but not sure what ones to use

50:50 PG to VG might be Kinda Harsh for Many People in a Subtank. You might try doing a Test Batch with a Higher VG Level.

Same with 20% Flavoring. Depending on the Concentration of the Flavoring, 20% may be Too High a Percentage. I would suggest Lowering the Total Flavoring/Sweetener level and see if it Taste Better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread