Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi, I have a questions about the epoxy coated magnets included in the Beyond Vape Mods.

1. What is Epoxy Coat?

2. What kind of magnets are usually used in the other mods?

3. Is Epoxy coated magnets better than the other magnets? Why?

Thank you

Do you have a Link to these Magnets?

Are the Magnets Epoxy Coated or is the Mod the Magnets are in is Epoxy Coated?

Reactions: BreeZe098

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
"Epoxy" is a thermosetting synthetic polymer containing at least one epoxide group in the molecular structure. Essentially, you take two chemicals, each of which contain part of the final molecule in some binder or carrier fluid, mix them together, add heat and voila! they set hard into a mass. They are used as paints and coatings and adhesives in a wide variety of applications. *Why* this is done can have many reasons.

I am not sure what you mean about what kind of magnets are used in other mods. The kind of magnets used are "rare earth" magnets, usually neodymium. But I think you probably mean "non-epoxy coated" magnets, that is bare metal. I happen to have a couple of mods with magnet doors and the magnets are regular old metal colored ones.

As to whether or not they are better, it would depend on for what purpose. In engineering design, better or worse, by themselves, are pretty meaningless. It's about "suitability for the designed purpose." The magnets in the mods you mention might be expoy coated for some specific design reason. Electrical conductivity has been mentioned, but there are other purposes possible: a slicker surface to make them non marring, or easier to clean, for example. It's also possible the main purpose is advertising, or cosmetic.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
As to whether or not they are better, it would depend on for what purpose. [...] Electrical conductivity has been mentioned, but there are other purposes possible: a slicker surface to make them non marring, or easier to clean, for example. It's also possible the main purpose is advertising, or cosmetic.
We're talking switch magnets in a mechanical mod. They say it keeps the electricity "where it belongs," in the switch/mod body and not through the magnets.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
We're talking switch magnets in a mechanical mod. They say it keeps the electricity "where it belongs," in the switch/mod body and not through the magnets.
Ah, that makes sense. In that case they might be coated to prevent electrical conductivity; magnets, by definition, being conductive. OTOH, I have installed a lot of switch magnets in a lot of tube mods, and I always used bare metal magnets. There really isn't any way for the ones I used to get in the current path anyway. But perhaps these mods have a different design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread