Eventually quit vaping advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiiVapor808

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Hawaii, Big Island
Hey ECF members,

I quit smoking back in 2008. I was a pack a day smoker, and still am based on my usage of nicotine. Im using 26mg menthol in a 30ml bottle, which lasts around a week for me....maybe a little more than a pack a day :)

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience cutting back with vaping to the point where they have quit totally? I just need to quit eventually. I have a really thick neck from years of weight training and the dry inflammitory effect PG might give a user, causes my airway to become more constricted than usual. Resulting in some irritation and extra effort to breathe. Especially at night. I thought my throat would be conditioned by now, but my usage fluxuates based on my mood.

Can anybody give me some advice on tapering down? how much to cut a liquid by or what methods you have used to quit/cut back?

Responses are appreciated

thanks,

Hawaiivapor808 :vapor:

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga
First, switch to VG blends....Easier on the throat!

I put my first order in as 24mg and puffed on that for 2 monthes.....

I put my second order in at 12 mg and puffed that for 2 monthes.....

I put the third order in at 6mg and puffed it for 2 monthes......

Last order submitted yesterday was for 0 mg juice. when this runs out I will order 1 bottle of 0mg and stick it in the back of a kitchen cabinet.

I will be done.

IMHO YMMV

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
Here's a nifty trick for getting a satisfying vape at lower nic levels: bump your voltage up a little. To me, the throat hit is similar when vaping 12mg a few tenths of a volt higher than I normally vape 16mg or 18mg juice.

If you don't already do so, consider carrying around a water bottle / tervis tumbler wherever you go and take frequent sips.

Last edited:

HawaiiVapor808

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Hawaii, Big Island
Thanks, I was consiering doing that and the old "add some vodka to the juice" trick to increase the throat hit. only downside to the vodka is that I heard it burns as opposed to being smooth and kicking.

Ill do that. Ricolas have been helping, but the frequent water sipping is a good idea.

I was thinking about just cutting back the frequency and duration of drags as opposed to cutting the strength by big amounts at a time. I went through smokers withdrawal once, and im not looking foward to doing it again. A little agitation and craving must be experienced though.

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
I'd also like to second Kevin's suggestion to use higher VG. Lots of people are super sensitive to PG. I've seen Bruce at Clouds of Vapor comment that he can't have PG at all, so all his juices are 100% VG (although somewhat pricey, even with a coupon code). Someone else might offer a better suggestion of a good place to acquire 100% VG juice; but High Desert Ecigs has pretty decent prices on their juice (coupon code ECF05), and they offer 20%/80% PG/VG ratios. I highly recommend their butterscotch flavor. (I'm not a menthol vaper, so I haven't tried their mints.)

It just so happens that my doctor recommended that I start tapering off my nicotine usage. So that's my current project of the moment as well. I didn't entirely intend to comply with her suggestion, but the next time I ordered juice I thought I might follow her advice, just to see what would happen.

As a chain vaper, I prefer cutting back nicotine and bumping up the voltage while keeping my vaping frequency the same. Today will be my first full day of vaping 12mg after having vaped at 16mg for several months. Thus far, I have experienced no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. Maybe after a couple of months at 12mg, I'll gradually drop my voltage over a few days and then bump it back up with 8mg juice. We'll see how it goes.

If you decide to try this method and don't like it, wait and try again the first thing you wake up in the morning. Your results might be different on a fresh day. I remember when I smoked, if I didn't have a cigarette for the first two hours I was awake, I didn't crave them as often the rest of the day. Drawing from that experience, I bet if you start your day at 18mg, you'll be less likely to crave your 26mg the rest of the day -- especially if you continue to feed your oral fixation as normal.

But my vote is that chain vaping at lower nic levels and higher voltage > decreasing your vaping frequency but keeping the same nic level. Seems to me that the first method would be a more gradual and more easily acceptable change for your brain and body to handle.

HawaiiVapor808

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Hawaii, Big Island
I'd also like to second Kevin's suggestion to use higher VG. Lots of people are super sensitive to PG. I've seen Bruce at Clouds of Vapor comment that he can't have PG at all, so all his juices are 100% VG (although somewhat pricey, even with a coupon code). Someone else might offer a better suggestion of a good place to acquire 100% VG juice; but High Desert Ecigs has pretty decent prices on their juice (coupon code ECF05), and they offer 20%/80% PG/VG ratios. I highly recommend their butterscotch flavor. (I'm not a menthol vaper, so I haven't tried their mints.)

It just so happens that my doctor recommended that I start tapering off my nicotine usage. So that's my current project of the moment as well. I didn't entirely intend to comply with her suggestion, but the next time I ordered juice I thought I might follow her advice, just to see what would happen.

As a chain vaper, I prefer cutting back nicotine and bumping up the voltage while keeping my vaping frequency the same. Today will be my first full day of vaping 12mg after having vaped at 16mg for several months. Thus far, I have experienced no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. Maybe after a couple of months at 12mg, I'll gradually drop my voltage over a few days and then bump it back up with 8mg juice. We'll see how it goes.

If you decide to try this method and don't like it, wait and try again the first thing you wake up in the morning. Your results might be different on a fresh day. I remember when I smoked, if I didn't have a cigarette for the first two hours I was awake, I didn't crave them as often the rest of the day. Drawing from that experience, I bet if you start your day at 18mg, you'll be less likely to crave your 26mg the rest of the day -- especially if you continue to feed your oral fixation as normal.

But my vote is that chain vaping at lower nic levels and higher voltage > decreasing your vaping frequency but keeping the same nic level. Seems to me that the first method would be a more gradual and more easily acceptable change for your brain and body to handle.

Thanks for the tapering advice and the insight. I guess ill go on that route. Cutting it by 4mgs at a time seems reasonable per month. The hardest thing for me is to have less of a throat hit though as it is both pychological and physical, and is an indicator for me when to put the e-cig down.

Its funny how I kept increasing the mg's as time progressed. I went from 16mg juice up to 36, then down to 24, then up to 26. Even at 36, a few weeks in and my throat was fine and only now im experiencing dryness and irritation.

Thanks bro.

jdh5484

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
I quit vaping by mixing my own and cutting down from 24 mg/ml to 12/mg. then 6, then 3. It took about a month. I stayed at 3 for a couple of months and then went to zero. Eventually, I still got a "throat hit" once my throat healed and I got accustomed to the zero nic. I tried all kinds of things at first ( grain alcohol, red pepper, cinnamon, red hot juice) to get the throat hit. I gave up and decided to deal with it. I did the zero nic for about 3 months. I put the vaper awya about a year ago.

Note: When I was cutting down, I always kept a higher level nic bottle with me "just in case". In addition, once I decided to quit vaping altogether, I still kept a kit in the car and at the house "just in case". I still have a kit somehwhere (I think). I never used any of the "just in case" stuff. I think the idea of having it (without any remorse if I needed it) was enough.

I smoked 2PAD for 35 years.

Reactions: divyabhatia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread