Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Generally true. I avoid most dual coils on eGos. If you have Joye eGo batts, they do well on Joye eGo 1.5Ω 510 and 306 attys and the eGo mega attys for some reason, but other 1.5 Ω or below, you're on your own :) ... based on my experience.

You can also get into trouble if by gunk on the coil, etc., where a 1.8 ohm coil drops below say 1.5 ohms. The three flashes of the button led indicates a short. With the eGo-c and eGo-c upgrade batts, you get one more short before they die, because of the upgraded short protection in those type batts. With the other joye eGos and cloned eGos, you'll likely have a dead batt.

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Generally true. I avoid most dual coils on eGos. If you have Joye eGo batts, they do well on Joye eGo 1.5Ω 510 and 306 attys and the eGo mega attys for some reason, but other 1.5 Ω or below, you're on your own :) ... based on my experience.

You can also get into trouble if by gunk on the coil, etc., where a 1.8 ohm coil drops below say 1.5 ohms. The three flashes of the button led indicates a short. With the eGo-c and eGo-c upgrade batts, you get one more short before they die, because of the upgraded short protection in those type batts. With the other joye eGos and cloned eGos, you'll likely have a dead batt.

Kent, I'd love to hear your opinion on something. I've owned an occasional Evod here and there since they were introduced, and I'm a little curious about the dual coil Evod 2 and Evod Glass. However, Kanger ships them with stock coils that are 1.5 ohm and in the back of my head I'm thinking "That seems awfully low." They do sell 2.0 ohm replacement heads, but the interesting thing is every video review I've seen of them (usually on a standard regulated Evod battery) is extremely positive.

Just hoping you'd share your 2 cents on this, and it's relevant to the OP. Thanks!

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
I've heard that the eGo style batteries like the 1.8 or higher resistance coils. Is this true? And a thumbnail of voltage drop vs. resistance.

With 3.7 volt egos, I use 2.2 ohm single coils. I also have a dual coil tank now and in that I run 2.0 ohms. The tank came with a 1.5 ohm dual coil and that worked, but seemed to stress the battery, the battery got warm with continuous vaping and seem to run out the charge quickly.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent, I'd love to hear your opinion on something. I've owned an occasional Evod here and there since they were introduced, and I'm a little curious about the dual coil Evod 2 and Evod Glass. However, Kanger ships them with stock coils that are 1.5 ohm and in the back of my head I'm thinking "That seems awfully low." They do sell 2.0 ohm replacement heads, but the interesting thing is every video review I've seen of them (usually on a standard regulated Evod battery) is extremely positive.

Just hoping you'd share your 2 cents on this, and it's relevant to the OP. Thanks!

The 1.5ohm coils are the most available and some stores had the 2.0 ohm coils and 'promised' a 2.4-2.6 ohm version, but I've seen those promises disappear - heaven gifts had it stated as well as a few others. I no longer see the 2.4-2.6ohm mentioned but some sell the 2.0 ohm replacement coils:

note that at litecigusa (and also heaven gifts) they refer to them as the 'upgraded' coils. I had reported the problems I was having to heaven gifts who passed that on to the Kanger techs. Not sure if it solves the eGo problem. I had some from the original release and both the 1.5ohm and 2.0 ohm dual coils shorted the Joye eGos and the iTaste VV gave an error.

Kangertech Upgraded Replacement Coil Atomizer Head
Kanger Protank 3 BDC Replacement Heads, Kanger Protank 3 Clearomizer

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
The 1.5ohm coils are the most available and some stores had the 2.0 ohm coils and 'promised' a 2.4-2.6 ohm version, but I've seen those promises disappear - heaven gifts had it stated as well as a few others. I no longer see the 2.4-2.6ohm mentioned but some sell the 2.0 ohm replacement coils:

note that at litecigusa (and also heaven gifts) they refer to them as the 'upgraded' coils. I had reported the problems I was having to heaven gifts who passed that on to the Kanger techs. Not sure if it solves the eGo problem. I had some from the original release and both the 1.5ohm and 2.0 ohm dual coils shorted the Joye eGos and the iTaste VV gave an error.

Kangertech Upgraded Replacement Coil Atomizer Head
Kanger Protank 3 BDC Replacement Heads, Kanger Protank 3 Clearomizer

Thanks, that was helpful and assured me that my skepticism is at least somewhat warranted. ;) I think I'll just go back to the original single coil Evods and get 1.8 ohm heads for them.

Also...

The tank came with a 1.5 ohm dual coil and that worked, but seemed to stress the battery, the battery got warm with continuous vaping and seem to run out the charge quickly.

This is a good point as well. Especially with the smaller eGos/Evods that are only 650 mah, preserving battery life is important.

Sorry to steal your thread, Tunka. I hope you learned something. :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The vendor has sent me 1.5 ohm coils, though I'd placed an order for 2.0 ohm 5pack coil heads. Should I use them with clearos on an eGo VV battery?

Nishi, the issue here is with dual coils - some eGo's don't do well with them - I lost three good batts using dual coils - see the link above. For single coils, there's mixed reviews on 1.5 ohm coils - I have used Joye 510 and 306 atomizers with 1.5 ohm coils on Joye batts without a problem, but others have had some problems.

Here's what usually happens. Most eGo's and even some mods and other batts don't do well if a coil drops below 1.3 ohms - it causes a short. (of course there are some batts that are built to take 1.3 ohm coils and lower - see the sub-ohm threads) And if you're using a 1.5 ohm coil and it gets gunked up from use, it can go two ways - it will have a lower resistance or a higher resistance depending how the gunk affects the coil. When it goes to 1.3 ohms or below, you're likely to get a short on your battery. When it goes high - say to 3.0 ohms or higher, it is likely that you won't produce much vapor or your draw becomes tight.

So I recommend 1.8 ohm coils for strong flavors (that gives you some leeway for gunk to where it won't short your battery - it may go to 1.5 ohms before you need to clean it - mainly because it begins to burn your eliquid) and 2.2ohms for lighter flavors.

I know that's a lot of info, so feel free to ask questions :)

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
i have been running ego's and iclear16's for quite some time at 2.1 ohms with out any perceivable problems.

i also have read on the forums that 1.8 ohms is the lower limit.
be aware however they tend to get flaky below 2 ohms and indicate a shorted condition.
not all will but,i've seen enough posts suggesting this could be an issue.
perhaps this problem has been addressed.
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread