MzTIF84.jpg

With Full Cap + SQuape #1566
iSjiizJ.jpg

King SS #466 + kayfun 3.1ES Delta
w9wq0vp.jpg

A Review and Comparison-
2013 Full Brass Chi You, Flat Cap, Engraved Tubes vs. King SS

Taifun GT vs. SQuape vs. kayfun

1. The Full Brass Chi You is an exquisite mechanical mod. The switch is on a spring, but the throw is short enough, stable from all sides and provides just the right amount of resistance to feel almost like its a magnetic click. Since the King is often compared to the Chi You, I would like to discuss some similarities and differences, especially since I now own both. Overall, the mod is quite large- at 23mm diameter it is like a King, or GG, or GP (some models). However, the tube walls are not nearly as thick as a King, and the locking/air flow rings on the top and bottom are smaller, and shaped quite distinctly. The switch opens up with a simple flathead screwdriver - exposing a metal spring. It will fire while unlocked, especially with a heavy atomizer like the Taifun GT on top.

The engraved "astrological signs" tubes (optional 650/500) add a stylistic touch to what is otherwise a rather plain mod. I found them rather appealing aesthetically. The engraving of the main "face" logo and the "astrological signs" on the engraved tubes are rather lightly embossed into the brass, in a matching brown hue, whereas the central "lettering" and serial number are black, thus much darker and more pronounced. Aesthetically, this creates a rather flowing, interesting and pleasing look, catching the eye's attention at multiple points. Overall, the King, with the hexagonal nuts at the top and bottom has a much heftier look and feel. The Chi You has 4 notches that allow to grab and turn the locking ring and air flow ring quite comfortably, and with an aesthetic finesse that adds character and style in a more refined way than the King's large hexagonal nuts. That being said, there is a sleekness to the Chi You that makes it quite distinct considering the large diameter.

Stock Chi You contacts are solid brass (2 at the top- the larger screw which adjusts to the atomizer depth in the 510 connection holds the downward extending smaller screw to adjust for battery size/rattle, and a simple brass screw as the switch contact - loosened with a flathead screwdriver). The formal design is similar to the King, but the detailing is different (King has 3 copper hexagonal contacts - and the bottom contact does not have notching for removal, which requires the use of pliers). The Chi You locking ring spins counter-clockwise: the opposite of a King mod. In 18650 mode, using the same AW battery, the Chi You smaller upper contact needed downward adjustment to avoid battery rattle, using both the full and flat cap, whereas the King did not need any adjustments- contacts remained closed.

Overall, the Chi You threading is very precise, smooth and comfortable around the entire mod, inside the tubes, locking/air rings, as well as in the extra engraved tubes. The threading is spaced tighter than on the King, thus requiring a few more turns to close. As with any new mechanical mod- I suggest a wash with soap and a toothbrush before use for optimum operation instead of using noalox, as any metal shavings will be cleaned out and the "noalox grime" can be easily and permanently avoided.

Having the full cap as well as the flat cap has benefits. The full cap has 4 notches on the 510 connection within the drip well and a "small three-hole (in a row)" air intake exposed while lowering the full top cap ring, reminiscent of the GG air intake, except threaded - the SQuape (23mm) got plenty of air intake on the Chi You fully recessed into the 510 connection, whereas the King- with its 4 drilled diamterically opposed "single-hole" air intakes always felt too tight with the SQuape recessed all the way. The flat cap contacts are the same size as the full cap, but the overall height is reduced ( by approx. 5mm) because there is no air flow ring. The flat cap's surface has 3 notches descending into the 510 connection which is recessed directly into the cap. The flat cap is aesthetically and functionally more sensible when using large atomizers that have internal air intakes- such as the Taifun GT, or kayfun.

The Brass Chi You does NOT tarnish easily, and seems to easily clean with a wet towel. In two days of solid use, a very light patina formed. The brass tubes are polished, except for the brushed top cap and switch, and are quite bright and yellow in nature- the color does not change much as the patina forms during use. This is the first full brass mod I own where I really admire the bright quality of the brass and the "tardiness" of patina formation.

Performance: The Chi You performs very well under load. I have to admit- I was pleasantly surprised by how well it fired a dual coil 0.3ohm dripper. The switch never got warm during proper use. Undoubtedly, silver contacts would help with voltage drop. In my opinion the Full Brass Chi You performs better than a King mod under load, but a voltage meter would be necessary to confirm that. (Both mods have fully polished contacts for this review).

Height Measurements: Chi You with Full Cap, with Flat Cap, and King SS -
(added 18650 Tube, AW 18650-2000 mah Battery, Taifun GT atomizer for equal height adjustment)
Measurements are from the bottom of the switch to the top of the top cap (not including atomizer)

Chi You Full Top Cap + Taifun GT = 102mm
Chi You Flat Top Cap + Taifun GT = 94mm
King SS + Taifun GT = 105mm

Chi You Full Top Cap = 16mm
Chi You Flat Top Cap = 9mm
King Top Cap = 19mm

Conclusion: The Chi You and The King share many general similarities - in overall structural design, placement of locking ring and airflow ring, in switch design (throw and spring placement), contact function, and even in logo placement (Chi You Face vs. King Lion Head). That being said, there are enough differences between the mods to make both worth having. The Chi You feels much more refined aesthetically, especially with the added engraved tubes and the flat cap. The thinner tube walls contribute to an overall sleekness in what is a rather large (23mm) diameter mod. The difference between the hefty locking and airflow rings on the king, and the more refined notched rings on the Chi You is quite significant. They do not feel like the same mod. Although both are 23mm, the Chi You offers more options with engraved tubes, a flat cap, and a better functioning airflow overall. The King has exceedingly smooth, large threading. The difference in locking ring size and direction of closing is significant. The differences outweigh the similarities and in my opinion, warrant owning both mods as separate and unique, having individual strengths.

SQuape #1566, Kayfun 3.1ES Delta, Taifun GT #2320
YEGpLjM.jpg

Although the Taifun GT and SQuape are both 23mm, the Kayfun is 22mm, thus the first two atomizers sit flush on either a Chi You or a King. The Taifun GT is like a high maintenance luxury vehicle. It's expensive, and requires a LOT of fiddling. The set up is quite simple, there are two posts with ample space for a micro coil directly above a single air tube. The wick fits across a channel, the ends are trimmed to line up with the outside of the chamber, and liquid is drawn into the chamber when inhaling. My first successful set-up, after a day of "fiddling" rests with a 1.1ohm micro-coil, using 9 wraps of 28awg kanthal, a single strand of 2mm eko, and most importantly- taking out the o-ring from the cap that covers the atomizer chamber. Until I removed the o-ring- I experienced flooding almost immediately after filling and vaping for a few minutes. I tried adding flavor wicks which either choked the juice flow or kept flooding.

Another issue I am having is the ohms jumping around due to either something being loose or a manufacturers defect at the 510 connection. There is a spring and an o-ring under a screw at the base which is adjustable, but I honestly expected a more solid build for the price. I am curious if others have experienced this and how they have dealt with it? So far, sometimes it measures spot on, sometimes it is a bit "jumpy" on an ohm meter. When finally set up correctly, without choking or flooding- the atty performs exceptionally well. That being said, it is set up for a single wick- and thus simply is not capable, in my opinion of the vapor production of an Ithaka (can be quad coiled+juice flow control+air flow control) or a Kayfun 3.1 (air flow control). Aesthetically it is a large capacity impressively solid SRTA, with a native Taifun engraved drip tip reminiscent of cheaper AGI, AGA drip tips....unfortunately....maybe I will grow to love it more with time.

To sum it up, I expected much more out of this atomizer. In many ways, it is similiar to a SQuape, without the "fancy" ematal coating, due to wick/coil positioning- overall design concept. It is also similar to a Kayfun Lite with an air intake hole in the front of the atomizer. I absolutely love the way it looks, and I really wish it could deliver more! The Kayfun 3.1 is a better built device in my opinion, due to ease of overall use. One of the best features of the Taifun GT, similar to the SQuape, is the ability to rebuild without emptying the tank. It simply unscrews, like the SQuape. The Ithaka is in a different category altogether in my opinion, being capable of TREMENDOUS vapor production.

As this item is still new to me, I will keep searching for a better build- for now, removing the o-ring and trimming the wick to proper length seems to be of utmost importance in finding the balance between restricted juice flow vs. flooding. The "vape quality" or overall feel reminds me of a Kayfun Lite, with the ability to assist wicking by covering the air intake hole with a finger and "dry inhaling". Vapor is very flavorful, full, and warm- but ONLY if the tank
behaves". Considering the dramatic price difference between the Taifun GT and the KFL or KFL+, I wonder why it doesn't come with a real glass tank, airflow control, or a number of other inner refinements that are available on other atomizers. Yes, it is unique, beautiful, but as of now, it simply is not able to perform as well as I had hoped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread