Genny tips for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
I wrote up some tips for beginner genesis users. It's mostly stream-of-consciousness so it may not be the most organized thing I've ever written. Anyway, I wrote it without the intention of making a thread, just to help a friend, but I thought I'd share it here on ECF. I figured that if it could help at least one other person, that would be amazing.

Advice for setting up a genny:

1.) They aren't great for volume vaping. not that you can't get a nice amount of vapor from them, but it's good to keep flavor in mind over vapor. This means keeping your hands immaculately clean when touching/rolling mesh and going for higher resistances than you're used to with most cotton atties, especially RDA's. Also, a spaced coil with 3 or 4 wraps of thinner wire almost always works better than a microcoil with more wraps of thicker wire.

2.) Know how tight the wire needs to be around the wick. keep the wire nice and tight at the top and bottom of the wick (though not so tight it looks like you wrapped a bunch of rubber bands around a fat guys stomach lol) but wrap just <i>slightly<i/> looser in the middle. Not loose enough that there is space between the wire and the wick but just enough that it is a little easier to move that section of wire up or down with your screwdriver when you are getting the hot spots out. This sort of trains the wire to naturally want to heat up in the middle of the wick, rather than the top and/or bottom of it. This is especially helpful when using ni200. Note that this is only really possible to do when wrapping directly around a wick, rather than around a rod like I discuss next.

3.) Learn little tricks to get the hot spots out. You can wrap the wire around a rod and install it like that, then pulse it without the rod or wick inside the coil, then thread the wick through. Only minimal pulsing should be required after inserting the wick. Just make sure it's tight enough in the coil that there is contact between all the parts of the coil and the wick, but not super tight. It is possible to choke the wick. Try to keep the leads as short as possible, or if you end up with a longer lead than you would like, try to form it so as much of it is touching the wick as you can manage. If you are getting a persistent hot spot, remember you don't always need to move the bit of wire much at all. Sometimes moving it out of place and back is enough. Lastly, even when you think all the hot spots are taken care of, put some juice on the wick and fire it until the juice is gone and the coil starts to glow. It should glow from the inside out even then. Hot spots at the top or bottom can become apparent even when they weren't visible while you were dry firing the coil. You need to figure out how the hot spots behave when juice is entered into the equation, as that is how it will be when you are vaping it.

Hope this helped someone. If anyone has any more advice or questions, I would love to hear them. Enjoy!

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
This is a good bit of writeup.

Allow me to add that I prefer the Petar K. method. I wind the coils on a jig that matches the diameter of my wick hole. I install the coil while it's still on the jig. Then I insert the wick.

Thanks! Yeah, that is a method I use a lot,,it works well. I tried to explain that in my post but I guess I didn't do the best job.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
I prefer ReadyxWick in my Zen attys. Seems like it wicks better than mesh...

Hmm.. I've never used ReadyxWick. That's like silica? I've never tried anything of that sort in a genesis. I tried cotton once lol, but I pulled it out of my HF mini mega after a day and went back to a mesh u-wick.

Reactions: Vaslovik

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Hmm.. I've never used ReadyxWick. That's like silica? I've never tried anything of that sort in a genesis. I tried cotton once lol, but I pulled it out of my HF mini mega after a day and went back to a mesh u-wick.

It is kiln fired silica. Stiffer than ekowool and no taste that I can tell. Wicks better for me than mesh. I got off the mesh because the insulators would heat up from transfer down them from the coil just enough to taste...

Reactions: MyMagicMist

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Saw it the second pass through... I lost it in section 2...

The post could do with a good deal more organization, no? Might go through and tidy it up. Doubt I'd repost a tidier version, but it would be nice on hand if I run into anyone that's struggling. When I got into genesis atomizers, I didn't really know what I was doing and a lot of my builds were awful,,,constantly tasting burnt and frying my throat. But when they worked... Man, the flavor was amazing. I wish someone would have compiled a list of little tips and tricks for me, it would have prevented a lot of frustrated yelling at inanimate objects. I was hoping I could help someone. It's funny looking back now, though,,I can pop a wick and coil in a genny and get it glowing evenly in a couple minutes, I can't believe it was ever difficult.

Andrew Leigh

Sep 9, 2015
hello and thanks for the info I have a question. what would you recommend for a beginner Genesis or a few that are the easiest to build on? I been eyeing a kraken for a few months an been reading up.I know flavor is subjective but everyone make it seem like genesis attys put everything to shame or at least give it a run for its money. So is there some flavors that shine more then others I read that tobaccos really pop. what about custard/creamy flavors? what's the best gauges to use?

Strings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Manitowoc WI USA
This seems like a good place to ask...

I have tried, oh HOW I've tried, to make mesh work. First few kept shorting out. Finally got one to not short, and tasted worse than burnt cotton.

I use the "wrap coil on jog, install, add wick" method. Yes, I burnt the mesh before installing. Am I supposed to rinse it or something before install?

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
It is kiln fired silica. Stiffer than ekowool and no taste that I can tell. Wicks better for me than mesh. I got off the mesh because the insulators would heat up from transfer down them from the coil just enough to taste...

Added benefit of Ready X Wick is you can torch it. The wick will clean itself and go to a near pure white. Have it on the RSST with a 1 ohm Kanthal coil. Swapped out juices & pulsed to clear off left over juice, in essence doing a dry firing. The coil glowed red / orange hot, the wick charred then went white. Always taste the juice flavor, nothing of the wick. Ideal wicking material, imho.

Reactions: MsLoud

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
This is a good bit of writeup.

Allow me to add that I prefer the Petar K. method. I wind the coils on a jig that matches the diameter of my wick hole. I install the coil while it's still on the jig. Then I insert the wick.

That's how I do it, and it's always worked very well for me.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
This seems like a good place to ask...

I have tried, oh HOW I've tried, to make mesh work. First few kept shorting out. Finally got one to not short, and tasted worse than burnt cotton.

I use the "wrap coil on jog, install, add wick" method. Yes, I burnt the mesh before installing. Am I supposed to rinse it or something before install?

Without seeing you do it it's hard to give any helpful advice, but what's always worked for me is to cut the mesh to the size that works in my DID's, 35mm x 60mm, hold it in a pair of forceps, torch both sides well, do a thin fold-over on one end, pre-curl it with a thin metal rod or a thick paper clip straightened out, then roll it up toward the folded over end until it's tight. Then I put juice on it, burn that off, and repeat two more times. I install my wicks after coiling with the Petar K method on a drill bit. I then work out the coil with a dental pick until it's glowing evenly from top to bottom, pulsing the coil and very gently moving the loops until they all glow the same.

Also, I find it helps a lot to lock down the bottom (negative) end of the coil and pull it tight around the drill bit from the top lead with hemostats before locking down the top end (positive) on the center post. This ensures uniform coil loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread