Status
Not open for further replies.
so, if you have no problems with your hands or eyes, is using a cooling gizmo considered "cheating"? Or does it not matter how you make it, as long as you have a nice end product that you are happy with?

I'm toying with getting one, but I have no real reason, except to be able to build flawless coils with extreme ease. So should I just keep wrapping around tiny screw drivers by hand, or get one of these things to try?

UncleMike

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2015
Nova Scotia
There really is no such thing as cheating when building coils. whatever works best for you. I can wrap a decent coil manually around a jig or tiny screwdriver but I also have a coil master just because it was shiny and new and sooooo easy to twist a perfect coil in seconds. One thing I've noticed though for me the coil master works great when making a single contact coil, a bit more finicky for making parallels or twisted coils. For those I typically wrap by hand. Nice to have options if you so desire :)

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
... get one of these things to try?

Here you go! Take your own advise! You'll never know if you like/need it until you try! I bought a little Tobeco one, stopped using it for some reason. I pulled it out the other night and wrapped 4 immaculate coils! Thought to myself, "Why did I stop using this?"

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
1st coil I built was on a crochet hook, second was on a drill bit....after many coils and more reading I purchased a gizmo...used it once and went back to drill bit.

A friend gifted me a coil master and I have not used anything else since.
It is small and easy to use, doesn't have to be mounted to anything!!

If I want an eight wrap....I wrap 10 wraps and pull off 1 wrap off each end with my needle nose....tighten and straighten at same time....easy peasy :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread