Glue/Epoxy used when mounting DNA20/30 board??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAZORBACK91

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Woodlands, TX, USA
So I'm now the proud new owner of an NES DNA20 mod from Joe Litt. I took the back plate off to check out how hard it would be to replace the battery later down the road. I noticed The dna board, and pretty much everything else inside the controller is being held in place by epoxy or "glue".

I was wondering, is it at all possible to reuse the guts (DNA20 board and maybe the tactile switchs) after they have been glued in place like this? Has ANYBODY successfully "re-modded" a dna board that was glued in place?

I'm not planning on "re-modding this anytime soon, I'm more than happy with the NES mod the way it is, however it has sparked my curiosity..

I can open it back up to take a picture if needed but I imagine many of you guys and gals know what I'm talking about :)

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Really depends on the glue and amount of glue used.....I guess that carefully cutting the glue to free the parts is possible but the dna display and ribbon cable are very fragile and can be damaged quite easily....some glue is kinda soft after curing and some is very hard...I use epoxy on my mods so it is very hard....and not made to re-mod....

RAZORBACK91

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Woodlands, TX, USA
ymurahyt.jpg

epenety7.jpg

esyjy5u6.jpg

yguduhu7.jpg

What do ya'll think??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
That looks a lot like simple hot glue. If it can be dented by pushing a fingernail or screwdriver into it, it probably is hot glue. Hot glue is not super tacky on smooth surfaces. If it's holding a textured piece, it's not so easy to remove. I have removed hot glue in chunks. It looks do-able. Just run a high risk of damaging the DNA ribbon by trying to pry it out. Personally, I'd be happy with it as is. Just buy another DNA and mod one from scratch.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
That's a really cool mod really neat install to boot.
I haven't had luck with nanotech batteries in my Rc planes. Idk about a mod tho. It will discharge a lot easier and slower than my planes .
I see mixed reviews about those nano's they have really good IR and that usually means a good battery but without my own experience, I have to rely on others. Perhaps when you soldered them you maybe overheated the battery its millisecs of heat exchange that can do it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread