Great Flashlight For Modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlw

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
One of my new favorite sites fasttech.com (direct from China - but free shipping that arrives in around 1 week in my experience) is posting new products everyday and this is one they posted a couple days ago.

18650 Stainless Steel Flashlight
and it's little brother the 10440 Version Slightly different 10440

Love to know what you guys think and of course would love to see someone actually build one.
I'm busy getting ready to move across the country or I would do one myself.

Here are a couple more options I found there too:
14500 Stainless
18650 Rubberized Aluminum (looks very repairable - could make modding easy peasy)

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
What I like about the ones I posted is that they are stainless steel and have a really sleek look to them - much more reminiscent of the boutique mechanicals.

Also, they are sized for batteries commonly used in vaping. The HF one is sized for 3 AAA in a holder so the inside of the tube is about 23mm or so. A bit too big unless you create a holder for the 18mm battery

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
One of my new favorite sites fasttech.com (direct from China - but free shipping that arrives in around 1 week in my experience) is posting new products everyday and this is one they posted a couple days ago.

Love to know what you guys think and of course would love to see someone actually build one.
18650 Rubberized Aluminum (looks very repairable - could make modding easy peasy)

Saw both of these, and their prices.. made an order of 3 each!! (That also lowered the price a bit!)
If nothing else, I need the flashlights anyway, and the one that I use that actually uses 18650's (and does the same things as the SS light..) cost 3 times as much!!

harlw

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
Saw both of these, and their prices.. made an order of 3 each!! (That also lowered the price a bit!)
If nothing else, I need the flashlights anyway, and the one that I use that actually uses 18650's (and does the same things as the SS light..) cost 3 times as much!!

Haha - nice. Would love to see a teardown if you get to it before I do.

SupplyDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Right off the bat, while I'm waiting for them to come in.. The Pics of the SS one looks as if I might be able to thread an eGo-T Upgrade control head on to it. If that is so, I can carry a flashlight And vape off it.. LOL Yes, I would have to remove the top, but hey.. I like multipurpose items ;)

Traeh

Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Cleveland, OH

Here are a couple more options I found there too:
14500 Stainless

Bookmarked the website. Good find on those flashlights.
They also have $20 Ego kits I may have to get one of those too as backups. even if they are real cheap and die too quickly, I won't be out very much and I will have my new flashlight mod to help me grieve! :D

harlw

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
Bookmarked the website. Good find on those flashlights.
They also have $20 Ego kits I may have to get one of those too as backups. even if they are real cheap and die too quickly, I won't be out very much and I will have my new flashlight mod to help me grieve! :D

Someone here in my office ordered one of their $20 kits and has been really happy with it so far.
Be sure to let me know the results of your modding.

SupplyDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Just got in the 3 Stainless Steel lights.
All are nice looking, solid construction. Threading on the head is a bit rough but a little silicon will handle that issue.
The button clicks nicely and firmly, although the light does not stay at the setting you turned it off on. You must cycle the light each time you turn it on. The gentle cycle for changing the 3 modes is nice.
I took this apart with no problems! Unscrewed the head, unscrewed the lower plate and pulled out the switch mechanism, then pulled out the sealed button. Unclipped a pressure ring and gave it a slight tap to remove the control chip w/LED and the thick lens. It went back together easily and worked like a charm!

The tube is a bit larger than the eGo-T Upgrade mod and this also uses an inner sleeve for the battery.
I think everything but the switching mechanism, light chip and lens could be used for modding this light.
If I work it right, I think I could make this so that even 6ml tanks would sit nicely inside the head, only being partially exposed and safer(?)!

It would be a while before I get to doing that though!

20130408_113533.jpg

SupplyDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I did decide to work on this already.. I just ground the head on the inner ring a bit and now all my 6ml tanks and my rba can slide in through the top smoothly.

I think I'll plan this with wires from the button to the connector. Going to pick up some washers today to see if I can get the inner diameter right, maybe check out radio shacks stock of buttons and see what I can come up with for it. Lucky for me ( :( ) one of my ego-t upgrade mods died and I now have a 510/ego connector available..

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... All are nice looking, solid construction. Threading on the head is a bit rough but a little silicon will handle that issue.
The button clicks nicely and firmly, although the light does not stay at the setting you turned it off on. You must cycle the light each time you turn it on. The gentle cycle for changing the 3 modes is nice.
I took this apart with no problems! Unscrewed the head, unscrewed the lower plate and pulled out the switch mechanism, then pulled out the sealed button. Unclipped a pressure ring and gave it a slight tap to remove the control chip w/LED and the thick lens. It went back together easily and worked like a charm!

The tube is a bit larger than the eGo-T Upgrade mod and this also uses an inner sleeve for the battery.
I think everything but the switching mechanism, light chip and lens could be used for modding this light.
If I work it right, I think I could make this so that even 6ml tanks would sit nicely inside the head, only being partially exposed and safer(?)!

View attachment 197016
Nice pics, looks like a win. The inner sleeve especially is a nice and safe touch.

Do you know the ID of the top/switch part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread