Hand allergy with vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

aymatix

May 4, 2015
Hello all, I come here baffled and frustrated. To put it simply when ever I start vaping my hands will start peeling pretty bad. When I start vaping about 3 to 4 layers of skin will come off. And yes some times it will be painful . I'll try post some pictures to show you guys. Posting here was my last resort. If any body has this issue I would like to know. I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe my hands are just super sensitive to some thing in the liquid or maybe even the metal in my mechanical mod. It doesn't look to bad in the photos because I've stopped vaping and it has cleared up ALOT . Usually it's a lot worse. the photo is between the thumb and index finger that spot hurt. I know for a solid fact it's from vaping . When I stop vaping my hands clear up and go back no normal that simple.

Attachments

• 1430758327459863402028.jpg
    1430758327459863402028.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 1430758392682501456120.jpg
    1430758392682501456120.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 1,104

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I am no doctor, this is just my opinion, so take it as you will.

I have never heard of an allergy casing peeling skin, a rash and you might have something, but peeling....I don't know. My fingers will go through periods where they seem to peel a lot, I always chalk it up to my constant use of hand sanitizer and hand washing. It could be you are not taking in enough water when you vape and dehydrating your body causing your fingers to peel?

If the choice is peeling fingers or the internal effects of smoking, the choice for me would be easy...YMMV.

aymatix

May 4, 2015
I am no doctor, this is just my opinion, so take it as you will.

I have never heard of an allergy casing peeling skin, a rash and you might have something, but peeling....I don't know. My fingers will go through periods where they seem to peel a lot, I always chalk it up to my constant use of hand sanitizer and hand washing. It could be you are not taking in enough water when you vape and dehydrating your body causing your fingers to peel?

If the choice is peeling fingers or the internal effects of smoking, the choice for me would be easy...YMMV.
Trust me I've thought about my hands catching some thing . But it can't be coincidence that right when I vape my hands peel and when I stop my hands go back to normal. Aquafor and lotion seem to help but I'm just getting tired of the hands thing and have had to quit . Pretty annoying as now I want to smoke cigs. I love chucking cloud but this problem is really hindering me . I was hoping maybe some one has had the same problem as me but was able to remedy the issue. I guess not though hah I personally believe it's some thing in the e liquid that my hands are really sensitive to. Thank you though for your honest advice it is appreciated . I'll try drinking some water as I vape and see if that helps. I'm open to any thing that may solve this perplexing issue.
I'm going to try to soak my mod in alcohol and clean it. Who knows maybe some thing got on the mod to me it's worth a shot.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Propylene Glycol WILL dehydrate you, so unless you are vaping 100% VG, you should be drinking water. I could see that being the cause of your dry fingers. Also, pulling the dead skin off is one thing, but if you over do it, which I think you are, you start pulling off healthy skin as well.

Reactions: tvapernow

aymatix

May 4, 2015
Propylene Glycol WILL dehydrate you, so unless you are vaping 100% VG, you should be drinking water. I could see that being the cause of your dry fingers. Also, pulling the dead skin off is one thing, but if you over do it, which I think you are, you start pulling off healthy skin as well.
To be honest with you I won't start doing that until the skin is obviously coming off. I don't want to come off as some one who doesn't drink water because I do. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking it's some thing that's reacting with my skin in a corrosive manner. Like I said it has to be from me vaping there's no question about it. Maybe some how some battery acid got on my mod . I'm going to try and vape with my girl friends simple mod and see what happens.

aymatix

May 4, 2015
Just out of curiosity, what is your setup? I'm wondering if you may have a sensitivity to something that your mod is made of. Allergies to copper, nickel, brass, and latex are not that uncommon.
Good thinking man that could be possibility for sure. It's a clone AR mod and a clone Little boy. Maybe it's a cheap metal in the clone AR. I'm running a 6 wrap parallel single 24 gauge coil pushin .3 ohms. It chucks pretty nice.

Attachments

• 1430765544024-1810404209.jpg
    1430765544024-1810404209.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 92

catsitter

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2014
Massapequa Park, NY, USA
I know it would be a PITA, but would you consider wearing gloves when you handle your mod? You can get boxes of them at the drugstore for just a few bucks. Try for nitrile instead of latex, since some people have a latex allergy. It'd be a pain, but it's got to better than going back to cigarettes...

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
Just out of curiosity, what is your setup? I'm wondering if you may have a sensitivity to something that your mod is made of. Allergies to copper, nickel, brass, and latex are not that uncommon.

This would be my guess. You are having a reaction to copper or stainless steel. I would speak to a dermatologist IMHO. Are your lips chapped from your drip tip? Is it metal too?

Also when you fill your tank do you get any on your hands? Ejuice will dry your hands out if you don't wash them good after getting some on you skin.

Have you tried a different brand of juice? You might be having a reaction to the flavoring that the particular company uses as well. As some people have been known to have reactions to PG or VG. Try changing your ratios up a bit. I know VG makes my nose run like crazy for example.

Anyway good luck to you. I do hope you find a solution. Again go see your dermatologist before you give up totally.

aymatix

May 4, 2015
I know it would be a PITA, but would you consider wearing gloves when you handle your mod? You can get boxes of them at the drugstore for just a few bucks. Try for nitrile instead of latex, since some people have a latex allergy. It'd be a pain, but it's got to better than going back to cigarettes...
Yea a co worker suggested that but that would kinda suck to deal with. I do agree that would be better than traditional ciggs . Might have to go that route. I'm interested to see what happens after rocking my girl friends pink simple mod haha

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
It sounds to me more like a reaction to the mod itself. Try wearing some gloves and see if you skin still reacts the same way. If it was caused by something in the eliquid, I don't think the reaction would be that fast.

And it was that fast your hands wouldn't be the only thing to break out or peel.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
Considering that there's no real way to know, I think you should talk to your doctor or better yet, talk to a dermatologist. It seems pretty serious if it's getting to the point that it hurts. The only other thing I can think of is trying a mod made of a different metal or something you can put a wrap on. Good luck figuring it out.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I used to get peeling skin like that on my hands and fingers when I would use a Zippo lighter. It was contact with the lighter fluid that did it, I'm pretty sure. Always happened when I used the Zippo, never happened when I used a Bic. I once had a friend in art school who started to get the same thing, I told her about my experience and she said that yes, in fact, she had been working with some petroleum-based sculpting clay recently. I don't know how applicable any of this is to your situation; I wouldn't imagine there was any petroleum products in your device or e-liquid, but I thought I would share my experience in case it helps.

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
Hello all, I come here baffled and frustrated. To put it simply when ever I start vaping my hands will start peeling pretty bad. When I start vaping about 3 to 4 layers of skin will come off. And yes some times it will be painful . I'll try post some pictures to show you guys. Posting here was my last resort. If any body has this issue I would like to know. I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe my hands are just super sensitive to some thing in the liquid or maybe even the metal in my mechanical mod. It doesn't look to bad in the photos because I've stopped vaping and it has cleared up ALOT . Usually it's a lot worse. the photo is between the thumb and index finger that spot hurt. I know for a solid fact it's from vaping . When I stop vaping my hands clear up and go back no normal that simple.
I'm going through the same exact thing right now & it's driving me crazy. A few days ago my index finger started to peel. I applied cream, Neosporin, you name it. Nothing helped. Yesterday another finger started and now today my thumb. Only on my left hand. I vape predominantly with my right hand. I don't know what else to do so I'm on my way to the doctor now. I don't know if it has to do with vaping or what but that's the only thing that I can think of being that I only started vaping a few weeks ago.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
I cant imagine it is from vaping itself, but more related due to either getting nicotine on your fingers and not washing your hands right away, or the type of metal your device is made from. Do you have any sort of leaking with your device? I know when I first started vaping high nicotine the inside of my mouth was peeling and it was raw and sore. So this is the only thing i can think of other than dehydration drying you out but if you think it is a chemical reaction make sure your device is not leaking and you don't get nicotine on your hands. When your hands are sweaty and a slight smudge of juice gets on you it is hard to tell it is there. You may also try wearing a glove when you vape to see if that remedies the situation. If it does then it is something that is making contact on your skin not the vaping itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread