harshness of RTA's and RDA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketch804

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Pure and simple, anyone know why, at least to me, it seems every time I hit a rta or rda mouth to lung it seems really harsh unless they are using a high percentage VG liquid. Any particular reason why? I can hit my Iclear 30b and then hit my Lemo with the same 50\50 mix and it just seems harsh to me. I have used people's rda's and they work fine unless it's more than mix, then it's very harsh. I don't seem to mind PG in cartos or bottom coil tanks, but rebuildables seem to act different. Now a lung hit with a Lemo is fine, regardless of the mix %. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Because youre full wide open lung hitting a substance that is used for two reasons, to carry flavor and to give throat hit.
High or max VG doesnt give any throat hit really, something like a 80PG will give a whole lotta throat hit and seem harsh on a dripper with a build that produces a lot of vapor.

^this
RBAs (RTAs and RDAs) give denser vapor so it "hits you harder" thats why flavor and/or vapor production is so much better: It's atomizing more liquid faster. Thats also why people usually lower their nic level when stepping up to RBAs.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
I have used some RTA's recently on a mech tube I purchased, and one was given to me for Christmas, and have experienced a lot of harshness also. I laid them both up for awhile until I figure out why. One was the Lemo drop. And I use all 6 mg juice, so it's not that. I have an orchid and it burned up on me, which produces a nasty burned flavor that doesn't go away until you rebuild the whole darn thing. It can be frustrating. I do not have all these problems with my RDA's on Reos, or kayfuns on Provaris.

JamieZ4M

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
Sheffield UK
I have used some RTA's recently on a mech tube I purchased, and one was given to me for Christmas, and have experienced a lot of harshness also. I laid them both up for awhile until I figure out why. One was the Lemo drop. And I use all 6 mg juice, so it's not that. I have an orchid and it burned up on me, which produces a nasty burned flavor that doesn't go away until you rebuild the whole darn thing. It can be frustrating. I do not have all these problems with my RDA's on Reos, or kayfuns on Provaris.

What power do you run your orchid at? And do you have any pics of your wicking? Because the orchid has the potential to run very high wattage with very thick juice. I run mine at around 25 watts but occasionally use it at 40w with the dna40.
Even with pure vg, so if you've dismissed it, please have another go!
I've tried many atties and I don't use anything else any more, drippers or tanks.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA

Thread hijacker... :p

Tanks can be a bit trickier than RDAs as you can't check on them regularly to make sure everything is working properly, also you have to get wicking right to avoid dry hits or flooding.
Reo is the cats meow.. nuff said. Throw everything else away haha

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
What power do you run your orchid at? And do you have any pics of your wicking? Because the orchid has the potential to run very high wattage with very thick juice. I run mine at around 25 watts but occasionally use it at 40w with the dna40.
Even with pure vg, so if you've dismissed it, please have another go!
I've tried many atties and I don't use anything else any more, drippers or tanks.

^this guy doesn't own a Reo :p

... ok, i'll stop :(

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Thanks, didn't mean to hijack. I thought my subject kind of followed along the original, so was acceptable.:closedeyes:
The orchid was set up by my friend very tediously before being sent to me. It should have been good to go, at .08 ohm. Not a fan of the super subs.
But, it could be the mech, which was also new to me, a GP paps. My friend said if I did not have a certain part of that top cap right it could have cause the resistance to jump around. All too much trouble...lol.
That's why I love my Reos, easy peasy...:vapor:

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Thanks, didn't mean to hijack. I thought my subject kind of followed along the original, so was acceptable.:closedeyes:
The orchid was set up by my friend very tediously before being sent to me. It should have been good to go, at .08 ohm. Not a fan of the super subs.
But, it could be the mech, which was also new to me, a GP paps. My friend said if I did not have a certain part of that top cap right it could have cause the resistance to jump around. All too much trouble...lol.

I was teasing about the hijacking... just haven't heard from OP in a while :) Look, if you wanna chat just give me your MSN user name.. LOL (again.. kidding)

JamieZ4M

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
Sheffield UK

Don't want to get into the whole rivalry thing, I don't own a provari either :lol:
From what I understand, the reo is a dripper that's bottom fed? Drippers and mechs are a pita for me, and I've never been a fan of really wide airflow. I'd imagine I'd get leaking issues while working (like I would with any dripper) and can't be doing with power drop off. For my vaping style I wouldn't use a reo much. I haven't tried one so can't say for sure.

0.08 in an orchid? Did I read that right?? As in 200 watts at 4 volts? Lol

Last edited:

JamieZ4M

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
Sheffield UK

No that is just me writing it wrong...
Excuse the blonde.:laugh: 0.8 ohms I think I have done that before.:blush:
But no, Reos are not at all how you think Jamie. They are awesome. Come down to Reoville and take a look around when you get a chance.
Lmao I did wonder!
I'd love to try one! I'm all for trying anything, I keep an open mind.
But if you manage to get the orchid wicked properly you should let me know how it compares. Never heard of anyone nearby in the UK with a Reo so wouldnt get the opportunity to try without buying. If I had plenty of spare money I'd buy one!
But for now I'll have to wait til I bump in to someone who owns one :(
Now, the orchid can keep up with builds down to 0.3 from what I've seen. On a mech I build it with 8 wraps of 28 gauge around a 2mm bit which comes out between 0.5-0.6 ohms and if wicked properly, it can easily feed the coil no matter how you vape it, even really long slow pulls. You only need the tiniest amount of wick in the channels, but plenty in the coils. It is hard to get the balance right though. I get more leaking problems than dry hits. But once you burn the cotton, that's it. You need to rewick, please be patient with it though find the sweet spot, you'll love it!

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I'm the one who set up the Orchid :D. Its 0.8 ohm.

I think (but can't be sure) that the 510 pin for the Paps top cap may not have been fully tightened to the atty's 510, therefore a loose connection between them.

The Orchid was brand new and a gift so I didn't vape it. I checked vacuum, washed it, built it and packed it up. I did set up the Paps for battery rattle and tried it out for a few minutes, then packed it up.

Sorry for the hijack :)

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I'm the one who set up the Orchid :D. Its 0.8 ohm.

I think (but can't be sure) that the 510 pin for the Paps top cap may not have been fully tightened to the atty's 510, therefore a loose connection between them.

The Orchid was brand new and a gift so I didn't vape it. I checked vacuum, washed it, built it and packed it up. I did set up the Paps for battery rattle and tried it out for a few minutes, then packed it up.

Sorry for the hijack :)

Bad connection in mech mod would mean some times it wouldn't fire at all, right? I don't think that would be the problem for burning taste, no?
Thanks for adding additional details :)

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Bad connection in mech mod would mean some times it wouldn't fire at all, right? I don't think that would be the problem for burning taste, no?
Thanks for adding additional details :)

No, if the connection between atty and mod isn't snug, the resistance can jump around whether its a mech or regulated. If there's no connection then it won't fire.

Its possible I muffed the build, but it read correctly on her ohm meter so I don't think I did. Maybe a wick went rogue when the chimney was screwed on.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
No, if the connection between atty and mod isn't snug, the resistance can jump around whether its a mech or regulated. If there's no connection then it won't fire.

Its possible I muffed the build, but it read correctly on her ohm meter so I don't think I did. Maybe a wick went rogue when the chimney was screwed on.

True that, slight connection would increase the mods resistance - but that would cause the mod to eat more wattage causing it to get hot instead of causing the build to burn up, right?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
True that, slight connection would increase the mods resistance - but that would cause the mod to eat more wattage causing it to get hot instead of causing the build to burn up, right?

My experience has been a horrid burnt taste when its happened. Sometimes bad enough to ruin the coil(s). Cleaning and rewicking wasn't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread