Status
Not open for further replies.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
Fully agree with you SuperX, as far as wicking, less is more. I see so many fellow vapers over stuffing wick in their coils thinking that the more they have in there the better. Stuffing too mush wick in the coil chokes the wick and prevents it from properly doing it's job.

Great vid :thumb:

Yes, the video is excellent! :)

But...I have just the opposite experience. When I was using short cotton legs, I might get 4 or 5 good hits before needing another squonk. But when I started leaving the legs long and wrapping them around the posts and back underneath the coil, that's when I started getting between 20 and 25 hits per squonk. I was thrilled when this happened. It's going on three days now with three RM2's and they're all still going strong. But I must say, I'm an avid believer in whatever works best for the individual is best and we all have different builds and different experiences. :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

But...I have just the opposite experience. When I was using short cotton legs, I might get 4 or 5 good hits before needing another squonk. But when I started leaving the legs long and wrapping them around the posts and back underneath the coil, that's when I started getting between 20 and 25 hits per squonk. I was thrilled when this happened. It's going on three days now with three RM2's and they're all still going strong. But I must say, I'm an avid believer in whatever works best for the individual is best and we all have different builds and different experiences. :)

Thank you :)

Being the semi observant freak that i am, I see where you said "4 or 5 GOOD hits" with short tails but when you made them longer you just called them hits.

See that's why we run short tails. We like good hits not just hits :)

JK of course. I'm glad you are finding what works best for you :). Rock on :)

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago

Great, I'm glad you found what works for you. I think type of juice and ohm of the coil also needs to be considered. Longer tails hold onto more juice, some juices tend to burn or change flavor faster with heat than others. Combine those two and you raise the chance of burnt juice mixing with fresh and being sucked back into the bottle changing the flavor of the whole bottle.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85

It could well be, you know I guess the viscosity of one's liquid certainly plays a role here. I was however referring to the actual amount of wicking material people put through their coils and not so much the length of the tails. From my meager experience cotton tends to retain a lot of liquid and specially the thicker e-liquids tend to be absorbed slowly and don't travel too well through a longer wick. Again that's just my personal observation as I use heavy VG.
Anyway I'm a firm believer that you should use what works for you

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Great video, as usual, supe :toast:

You were the first guy I ever heard mention the "your mod should not move as you slide the cotton through the coil" quick test for material size. I hear your words in my head to this day every time I rewick. Afterwards, I mumble "kick aayus" when I nail it.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
Great, I'm glad you found what works for you. I think type of juice and ohm of the coil also needs to be considered. Longer tails hold onto more juice, some juices tend to burn or change flavor faster with heat than others. Combine those two and you raise the chance of burnt juice mixing with fresh and being sucked back into the bottle changing the flavor of the whole bottle.

I agree with you. I think the composition of the juice can make a big difference where the coil is concerned. I use mostly PG 80% and VG 20%. I've avoided VG to a certain degree because a year ago my pulmon doc frowned when I mentioned the VG and said he didn't think glycerin could do the lungs much good. A way of saying he thought it might even do harm. Whatever, I just try to keep it to a minimum. I've also learned to get a satisfying hit while keeping inhaling at zero or very minimal.

Although I built all 3 of my coils just the same, one of them is giving me a real snap, crackle, pop audio feedback. I like it and wish I knew what was causing it. :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Very good

Hey X
Have you tried Readyxwick yet?
If so , do you have a opinion

I have some that a friend sent but have yet to try it.

Thank you.

I did try Nextel xc116 a while back and while I initially liked it, I just as quickly began to dislike it. For me it produced too wet a vape.

I also kinda fear it, because these days being the vape naturalist that I have become, I prefer to stick with natural stuff.

Additionally I don't want a wick that is made to last long because I like changing wicks (as in removing and throwing away) weekly.

My wick media wants to be cut to my size and put thru my size coil too.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I have some that a friend sent but have yet to try it.

Thank you.

I did try Nextel xc116 a while back and while I initially liked it, I just as quickly began to dislike it. For me it produced too wet a vape.

I also kinda fear it, because these days being the vape naturalist that I have become, I prefer to stick with natural stuff.

Additionally I don't want a wick that is made to last long because I like changing wicks (as in removing and throwing away) weekly.

My wick media wants to be cut to my size and put thru my size coil too.

LOL. I love KGD Russ…precisely because it so closely emulates the fine performance and flavor neutrality attributes of ceramic media. And though I moan and groan with more than 40 mods and an atty collection that seems to have taken on a life of it's own…or maybe I've adopted gerbils and my spec Rx needs changin'…I must really enjoy rebuilding!

I do the vaping lifestyle education routine because I know even if most don't become avid vapers and hobbyists they're going to want (we hope) to own more than just one or two devices. Folks need the tools like your and my fav, wind efficiency, to be able to manage that. And this means being able to keep a device running for more than a day or two…and tasting great to boot. For some that might mean Eko or silica. For real flavor enthusiasts Nextel kicks it supe…to the Moon Alice.

Most are not going to take the time to do the deep search on ECF or elsewhere to find Kimberly Johnson's Master's thesis on Nextel. A study that set the reference benchmark on the material's human safety aspects. So they're going to rely on remarks like yours and mine to gauge whether even to consider it. What I found last year as I chose to quit smoking to study this is that a bit of hysteria arose over the risks of Nextel long before any serious research had even been substantially referenced on ECF such as Master's study. So by the end of last Summer most everyone had given up on it. Including some pretty influential members of this industry who had only tried un-prepared ceramic media (which could make you sick) from industrial sources like Mcmaster-Carr. A lot of the consensus of apprehension about its non-organic risks arose from these overly enthusiastic trials of Nextel and the predictable results, a presumption that it sucks.

I'll unequivocally state that based on my research, a year of reading on this subject, that I believe Nextel to be the safest wicking material I have encountered in vaping. Not merely for its composition and resistance to becoming toxic but its potential to perform adequately technically, electrically. And Russ, I think this is of greatest importance. I'm far less concerned about micro-toxicity issues with Nextel than I am about the chronic exposure of dry hit trauma from inadequately performing wick/wind combinations which are evident constantly to the typical user. We just don't talk much about it. It's the subtle joke of vaping. Unfortunately, cotton and user inexperience and over-exuberance and this ambivalence are the major contributors. Not to mention absent mindedness, lol. Nextel on the other hand is dry hit user friendly for neophyte and experienced user alike. This in my estimation is HUGE where human safety and health is concerned. Cotton although my preferred wick of choice demands attention to be rewarding and safe.

And from my perspective and experience I'm very comfortable and confident in the work by Casey and Heather (SnG) and Jeremy (RBA Supplies) to ensure a quality and safe product for their constitutients where Nextel is concerned.

I should add that I continue to use and test conventional silica, Eko and other media including more recently, CelluCotton (CCR), as fine alternatives under given circumstances. That includes 3M's excellent silica XS-116 high temperature product which shares Nextel's tight linear weave. It fills a great niche in the 2.0-2.2mm range for rebuildables. And for those concerned about Nextel. It's notably easier to work with than most Ekowool variants. A good working knowledge is needed to make best use of these and as you know I encourage that.

So I would urge we not dismiss Nextel ceramic wick media as an important alternative (I know you don't). For many of us it's the option that would allow us to experience the great variety of flavor and hardware alternatives that make this lifestyle and hobby as marvelously rewarding as it is. And its sustainability that gets us there. The expectation that we're going to be able to get that great vape again tomorrow.

Woven ceramic wicking is the categorical best option I believe that gets newcomers enjoying what we do because it is easy to wick.

That said, I'll reiterate what I recommend always…we each owe it to ourselves to exercise due diligence where all media for human consumption is concerned. I hope these remarks may stir some to do that and consider trying ceramic wick with the confidence gained.

I know all too serious and ...... But y'all know where I'm comin' from. I just wantcha to vape!

Good luck.

:)

p.s. On that wet vape, don't squonk so much!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread