Help? Caramelization

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordaneagle220

Aug 12, 2015
Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a iClear 30s on a Innokin MVP 3.0. The coils in the iClear 30 s are 1.4 to 1.8 ohms resistance. My problem is that the juice that i use gets darker the longer it is in the tank, and also starts to taste worse. I have recently found this image about what watts, and volts you should use according to resistance, but it doesn't help with the juice issue. Since i have such low resistances (unlike my subtank mini .4 ohms), Should I follow this guide? Should I get a tank with a higher resistance coil? Idk :/

jordaneagle220

Aug 12, 2015
Link was removed?

Attachments

• voltagechart.jpg
    voltagechart.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 138

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Some e-liquids, the only solution is limited quantity then clean before filling again.

I DIY and one of my favored vapes, a Chocolate Cappuccino, does the darkening thing. I find I can top of above 1/2 tank with little darkening as much. Shaking the tank occasionally helps.
Eventually, it has to be rinsed and wick changed.

My ADV is completely the opposite. I can run 30-40ml through without any issues.

Reactions: Baditude

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a iClear 30s on a Innokin MVP 3.0. The coils in the iClear 30 s are 1.4 to 1.8 ohms resistance. My problem is that the juice that i use gets darker the longer it is in the tank, and also starts to taste worse. I have recently found this image about what watts, and volts you should use according to resistance, but it doesn't help with the juice issue. Since i have such low resistances (unlike my subtank mini .4 ohms), Should I follow this guide? Should I get a tank with a higher resistance coil? Idk :/

1: yes, alot of juices get darker the longer it stays in the tank.

2: caramelization / coil gunking occurs and the coil needs to be cleaned / replaced.

3: thick dark juices tend to gunk up coils faster.

jordaneagle220

Aug 12, 2015
1: yes, alot of juices get darker the longer it stays in the tank.

2: caramelization / coil gunking occurs and the coil needs to be cleaned / replaced.

3: thick dark juices tend to gunk up coils faster.
The only problem is, this occurs even with a fresh, primed coil. its not even a dark juice. its more a light brown.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
A lot of times the problem is that the coloring doesn't get carried by the vapor. So when you take a puff, the PG, VG, nicotine, and some flavoring is converted to vapor, but some of the coloring stays in the wick. As that builds up it leaches its way back down the wick and into your tank. The same thing can happen with sweeteners and menthol crystals as well, only part is converted to vapor and the rest sits in your wick, gets reheated, builds up, and eventually works it's way back through the wick and into your tank.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do but rewick it, or in the case of the iClear 30s replace the coil.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The "Safe Vaping Power Chart" was originally made for cartomizers a couple of years ago. That chart does not always translate over to other juice delivery devices.

Its a fact of life that dark, sweet, high-Vg juices are going to carmalize & gunk up coils and wicks, especially in tanks where these things tend to accumulate over time.

It's one of the reasons why I almost exclusively use an RDA nowadays. It's easy to access the wick and coils. It's less expensive to make my own wicks and coils (cotton and wire is cheap). I still have to re-wick every 3 - 4 days, but I simply dry burn the coils during a wick change, allowing them to last months at a time.

Reactions: mamabear15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread