HELP! Is my device ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum, but my post count isn't high enough for the model specific discussion.

My eVic worked like a champ for about one month, then I started getting the tell-tale "No Atomizer Found" message uncomfortably often. All signs pointed to the center button being pushed too far down, so with a baby flat-head screwdriver I lifted it slightly enough to make the right connection. It kept working like a charm, and only every now and then I've had to lift it again on occasion (this was also still with an air-flow regulator, so my threads are fine and it would do it with or without the adapter attached).

Last night, however, it randomly quit working. "No Atomizer Found" was popping up with ANYTHING I attached. I've lifted the pin several times, tried 4 different resistance cartos, attached my hypertank (protank heads), and tried lowering the pin on any of the cartos or the atty head. I stopped by the local vape shop and they happened to have an eVic--my tank worked just fine on theirs. I'm barely past the 30 day warranty period from MyVaporStore, so it looks like I'm screwed when it comes to a return or exchange.

Did lifting the pin too many times entirely break the connection to the device itself? I have absolutely no idea what else to do with it, and the thing seems pretty dang hard to entirely disassemble.

I'm back to my puny little 900mAh Inferno batteries and I just want my mod back! :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Wow, I don't hear this problem with eVic's. The wiring to the atty connector is quite heavy duty in there but there is always a possibility that pulling a post on any device too far can break a connection.

Is this a new model or a first generation version? Unscrew the beauty ring and look at the base. The new version has two screws holding the base to the eVic head. Older versions are only press fit. It will give you an idea as to how easy yours will be to disassemble.

But before you go the disassembly route I would push the warranty issue real hard.

It's the new version, and I just realized the problem.

After taking out the two small screws, I just had to use that same baby screwdriver to lift the top of the head from the unit. The wiring to the atty connector was actually anything BUT hardy--there was a bunch of white insulation where the hot wire runs to the connector, and as soon as I opened it, it just fell out of the insulation. I scraped most of it out so I could see the bottom of the connector, and as soon as I touched the hot wire to it, it worked like a charm. Looks like a drop of solder will fix it right up.

I'm amazed at how horribly the red wire was attached to the connector. Everything else is rock solid in there. Weird.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
It's the new version, and I just realized the problem.

After taking out the two small screws, I just had to use that same baby screwdriver to lift the top of the head from the unit. The wiring to the atty connector was actually anything BUT hardy--there was a bunch of white insulation where the hot wire runs to the connector, and as soon as I opened it, it just fell out of the insulation. I scraped most of it out so I could see the bottom of the connector, and as soon as I touched the hot wire to it, it worked like a charm. Looks like a drop of solder will fix it right up.

I'm amazed at how horribly the red wire was attached to the connector. Everything else is rock solid in there. Weird.

Really surprised. Maybe they thought they could use lighter gauge wire since the screw down version won't fall apart if you drop it. :laugh:

Seriously, watch the screwing down of devices onto any PV. Stuff doesn't need to be screwed down more than finger tight. If you can't unscrew the clearo in a one handed operation - that's too tight.

I know, right?! Hell, I went for the thing because it seemed hardy enough to handle my clumsy self! It's been dropped maybe two times. Do you think not having all of that insulation will affect anything very much? I'll have no problem soldering it, but I'm wondering if I should put something else in there (wood glue, perhaps?) just to keep everything tight. I'm not too concerned either way since everything above the circuitry is pretty bare-boned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread